cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage famous handbag with a customs stamp inside questions.

If you magnify this photo you will see a customs stamp inside this handbag. 

The country code is for eritrea in africa near accross the water from saudi arabia.

This country was basically run by italy for many years and has no real or substantial natural resources so turned to being an import / export hub for the area.

Do you know anything about handbags with this kind of stamp from a well traveled handbag collector or affictionado?

What do the other numbers stand for and does the large part look like the shape of the country to you?

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

And BTW, one of your posts said that Ebay listed "trademark violations" as the reason for removal, and that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the stamp on the bottom, whatever its from. Someone apparently reported the purse as counterfeit, or maybe you had other photos or something else in your listing that violated Coachs or someone elses trademark. Or you didnt show enough pictures of the bag and the creed stamp. But as far as I can see the Duffle Sac looks completely genuine.

"On the Internet, no one knows if youre a dog.
EVERYONE knows if youre an idiot."

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Are there any patches or stamps inside the purse besides the customs stamp? Are you trying to find out about the purse or the stamp??? If the purse is marked as a Coach it needs to be authenticated here, that style was highly faked.

Please post photos. If youre trying to figure out if the purse is authentic, the customs stamp isnt going to be any help. Im not sure exactly what you want to know?

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

@ cedarwaxwing2015

I just saw your other post on the member to member board where you stated that your listing was removed because of the customs stamp.

I'm wondering what makes you believe it's a customs stamp?

I didn't see the listing but I did find a cache of a bag listed as "Vintage Coach cornflower blue leather feed bucket handbag purse c7d-9085 duffle"

Although I wasn't able to open the cache, it appears that that's the bag in question.

Please post pictures of the bag and the creed. Also post the info in the email you received as to why the listing was removed.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

BTW, I (personally) doubt that's a customs stamp!
albertabrightalberta

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

OP, I'm curious about that too on wny you're saying that the mark is a custom's stamp.

If it had something to do with customs, I presume they give you a piece of paper or certification, or stamp the packaging ie a box and not stamping inside the item.

Have never heard of anything like it but there I again,  I haven't been to Africa and other remote places.

The stamping also looks embossed and possibly it is the maker's/ supplier's mark and not that of customs.

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

no it is not embossed.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Well the stamp has a large number in it and some small numbers. The large number is for the country of Eritrea. This is a country with very little natural resouces and was pretty much run by the Italians for a number of years. It took the only other stance it could for a lively hood. That of import / export for the region. IT is across the water from saudi arabia. The person who owned it lived in Africa for a while.

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

The owner has passed on and their are no documents. Note most purses sold on ebay have no documents anyway.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

How can you say that style was highly faked if you have not seen it? But, Perhaps your punctuation missled me as to what you were saying.

The questions I specifically asked are the ones with the question marks on the end of the sentences.

The only other stamps are on the creed flap.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

I believe it is a customs stamp because it is the country code of Eritrea. The first and now deceased owner lived in Africa for a while. Eritrea is across from saudi arabia and is an import / exporter for the whole area. 

Yes, you found the correct listing I used.

The note I got was trademark violation. No opportunity or recourse offered before or after. One of two customer service hung up on me.  All claim I need papers to authenticate though most on ebay do not.

I Had taken it down upon buyer removing bid and telling me gold in bottom is not by maker. Did hours of research and put it back up with disclaimers. Still it was removed by them. I Had 4 people interesting in it. Some said they believe it real in messages. They even wrote after the first removal as they wanted it so bad.

Knowing owner and bag itself makes us believe it is authentic.

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

the rest of the pictures here.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@cedarwaxwing2015 wrote:

How can you say that style was highly faked if you have not seen it? But, Perhaps your punctuation missled me as to what you were saying.

The questions I specifically asked are the ones with the question marks on the end of the sentences.

The only other stamps are on the creed flap.

Because Im VERY familiar with vintage Coaches and I know very well what the inside of a Duffle Sac looks like. Which this IS, by the way.

Coach Duffle Sac, style number 9085, genuine, made in 1997. NOT super-rare or even unusually valuable either, there are plenty of 9085 Duffle Sacs on Ebay, including some fakes too. The only unusual thing about it is the color, the pale blues were only made for 1 season in 1997. Or it might have been a special color sold by one of the Resort shops Coach used to operate. The color is either Aqua or Periwinkle.

As for the stamp, Coachs leather supplier back then stamped the inside of the hides they sold to Coach with a variety of identification numbers, that could be what your stamp is. As someone else mentioned, I cant see any Customs service stamping a permanent mark inside a purse or any other item for that matter. Much more likely that its the leather supplier mark.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

And BTW, one of your posts said that Ebay listed "trademark violations" as the reason for removal, and that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the stamp on the bottom, whatever its from. Someone apparently reported the purse as counterfeit, or maybe you had other photos or something else in your listing that violated Coachs or someone elses trademark. Or you didnt show enough pictures of the bag and the creed stamp. But as far as I can see the Duffle Sac looks completely genuine.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@cedarwaxwing2015 wrote:

I Had taken it down upon buyer removing bid and telling me gold in bottom is not by maker. Did hours of research and put it back up with disclaimers. Still it was removed by them. I Had 4 people interesting in it. Some said they believe it real in messages. They even wrote after the first removal as they wanted it so bad.

Okay, I get it. 

The part in red is why your listing was removed. When someone questioned authenticity and withdrew her bid, you ended your listing, which BTW was the right thing to do. 

But in relisting with an authenticity disclaimer or whatever other disclaimer you stated, THAT is why the listing was pulled. You can't have disclaimers; you need to KNOW your items are authentic or you need to find out for sure that your item is legal. 

You are very wrong in your insistence that the marking is a customs marking. It has absolutely nothing to do with where the original owner lived or bought it. Any connection to Eritrea is pure coincidence. As you were told by others, the markings are put there by the leather supplier. 

I believe that if you submit a professional authentication document by a reputable service that knows and accurately authenticates Coach, you can submit that and get permission to relist the bag. (You can also state in the listing that it was professionally authenticated and that potential buyers can contact the service for verification. That adds extra credibility to your listing.)

I have a piece of valuable advice that will help you, your buyer's and your ebay account: If you have highly faked items that you didn't personally purchase and in brands in which you aren't expert, verify authenticity and legality BEFORE listing! In most cases, a professional authentication isn't necessary but do your homework first. Do not assume because something is well-made or from a wealthy estate that it's the real deal. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Everyone else called it a feed bag.

Yes, someone did remove their bid and contact ebay. Then she wrote me and told me she could not understand why ebay told her to contact me and tell me and that ebay itself had not removed it.  She said her two other family members were coach collectors and had told her it had to be a fake. That was like 2 weeks before ebay did anything about it and by then I had already removed it, then did hours of research and relisted it as controversial and if you do not believe it then do not buy it.  

The stamp on the bottom uses the country code for eritrea in africa where the owner had lived. Do you still think this stamp is not applicable to history of this bag? 

There must have been alot of ladies who bought things from around the world and at that time (20 years ago) the systems for proof were marking them, especially in the poorer countries. Eritrea is near saudi arabia on the uppper right hand curve of africa. The shape in the paint does kind of look like the shape of eritrea itself too.

What is this accept as solution button on the bottom of the page here?

Message 15 of 34
latest reply