cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sterling Silver, What does PD mean?

IMG_20170614_204240.jpgIMG_20170614_204354.jpgIMG_20170614_204259.jpgWill someone please help me identify this ring and tell me what the "PD" mark on the inside means?  On my postage scale, it weighs 3 oz if that means anything.  How do I know if it is sterling silver or silver plated?  Any help is very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

PD usually stands for PALLADIUM. So your ring might be silver with palladium or its silver coated with palladium.  It's used as lower cost alternative to platinum or rhodium plating. It's not as tarnish resistant but if does resist discoloring and it's pretty stable under most conditions. And it's scratch resistant. That's the little I know. Maybe you can try googling or perhaps someone on here can recommend a good jewelry board.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Is it possible that it's someone's initials?
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I suppose it could be initials and wondered that myself.  But I find references to PD when I google sterling silver markings but the explanations are not clear.  Also on EBAY there are listings for PD Sterling, i.e. "PD Sterling Silver Heart Shape Design Ring".  Again, though, no explanation about the PD.   Thanks for responding.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

PD usually stands for PALLADIUM. So your ring might be silver with palladium or its silver coated with palladium.  It's used as lower cost alternative to platinum or rhodium plating. It's not as tarnish resistant but if does resist discoloring and it's pretty stable under most conditions. And it's scratch resistant. That's the little I know. Maybe you can try googling or perhaps someone on here can recommend a good jewelry board.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Thank you so much for the answer.  The people on this board continue to impress me with both your knowledge and your helpfulness.  Thanks again.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It could also be the stamp of the ring's designer. Many silversmith's have a personal stamp.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

It's Premier Designs  it's the mark they used in the early 80's before the fancy design they have now

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yes..Im familiar with that mgfr's hallmark too..

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

PD is the manufacturer. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic here: https://community.ebay.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/fashion

Thanks for understanding!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply