cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Purse Trend - Short & Long Handles - Am I the only one who dislikes this?

GAH - driving me crazy trying to find a new purse.  I see one I like and it has short handles and a long handle - I really don't like this new trend - they're every where.

I find it to be a cluttered, unattractive look.

Rant over:)

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

On most bags like that, the longer strap is removable. I like the option of 2 ways to carry a bag.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

That's the issue for me - I want a bag I can sling over my shoulder - I don't carry it in my hand.

Sigh.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@virtualwhimsy wrote:

That's the issue for me - I want a bag I can sling over my shoulder - I don't carry it in my hand.

Sigh.

Good point! I also don't carry a bag in my hand. It's either over the shoulder or a crossbody bag I want.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

For me, the short handles are useless, I don’t carry my bag in my hand. My favorite is long crossbody strap. You can adjust it into a double shoulder strap or wear it as a crossbody. Followed by comfortable shoulder strap (by that I mean a proper drop so it fits nice) and (very often removable) crossbody strap.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I prefer the single/double strap  I can sling over my shoulder.  Will do the long cross body as well.  I never use short handles so I really dislike this new trend of having both because you can't remove the short ones.

I saw that...

~KARMA
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

OP,  I'm not sure what you meant by new trend of short and long handles.  Most bags I know of have the short handles and some brands do provide a detachable strap.  Short handles are not just hand carried but you could also put them on your arm, or depending on the strap would even fit snugly on your shoulder.

Even a LV Speedy has a short handle, and should you want a strap,  you have to buy it separate. 

Unless you go for the casual, sporty types or opt for the messenger, crossbody types, then those won't have the short handle.  Perhaps those are what you are looking for.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I buy bags from the men’s line.  Nice wide shoulder straps.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I like the short handle handbags - a former co-worker called my handbags "old lady f*rt" bags 🙂  I have to carry a lot these days, and the shorter handle comes in handy for me.  I will not purchase a bag w/long handles 🙂 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I'm a minimalist dresser, so I would not want the extra fussiness, nor the extra weight of a short handle that I will never use. I agree with the OP that it's a messy look!

I choose crossbody or a pretty waistpack (there are a couple!) because I do not want to have my purse in a cart while I shop. I want it kept on my body to prevent theft. 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I agree with you. I do not like those purses with two options because if you use long strap - shorts ones are awkward, if you use short ones - the long strap just hands like it does not belong.  Many people like this style, I do not.  But I do not like short handles purses in general, although trying to get used them and now have a few. Still morning comes and I go for others.  My preferences is two longer straps,  to be worn on the shoulder.  My most favorite purse which I use 75% is Louis Vuitton Never Full tote. Comfortable, rommy with exactly right straps.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply