cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help identifying signature of silk scarf

Please help me identify the signature on this scarf. I can't decipher it.  The label reads:  hand printed RN- 24409, made in Japan, all acetate twill.  A vintage red, white, blue long rectangle scarf with angled ends.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

IMG-2285.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Debora, the "unavailable" one I was referring to on the E site had a different signature script:

Giuly-scarf-hand-painted-silk1.jpg

However, there are a few more out there with the same cursive signature as the OP's — such as the red geometric print titled "vintage 50s" (probably inaccurate) as you mentioned:

Giuly-scarf-red-geometric-print1.jpg

There is one with the same RN # & Made in Japan on the tag as OP's that's listed on eBay as "Silk Giuly scarf red yellow blue 28 x 28 pinwheel Japan hand printed" (also wrongly titled "silk", since the tag states "acetate"). 

Plus another "No longer available" that's on eBay UK: "Giuly silk scarf hand painted" (no tag shown to confirm fabric).

The RN number search at rn.ftc.gov  for 24409 brings up Marvin Accessories Inc.,  only an "importer, wholesaler" (apparently no longer extant).

Anyway, it looks like Giuly was a lesser known designer/manufacturer of scarves, mostly acetate (i.e. synthetic, not "silk") and made in Japan — as many were c.70s (like Echo, Vera etc.) 

"It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so." —

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It appears to be Giuly, which is an Italian name, but apparently not well enough known as a designer or brand here to show up anywhere.  

There was one hand painted silk scarf found on the other E site (no longer available) with a Giuly signature, but in a different script.  

"It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so." —
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Think that other site has date wrong.  They both look 1970s.

Debora

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Debora, the "unavailable" one I was referring to on the E site had a different signature script:

Giuly-scarf-hand-painted-silk1.jpg

However, there are a few more out there with the same cursive signature as the OP's — such as the red geometric print titled "vintage 50s" (probably inaccurate) as you mentioned:

Giuly-scarf-red-geometric-print1.jpg

There is one with the same RN # & Made in Japan on the tag as OP's that's listed on eBay as "Silk Giuly scarf red yellow blue 28 x 28 pinwheel Japan hand printed" (also wrongly titled "silk", since the tag states "acetate"). 

Plus another "No longer available" that's on eBay UK: "Giuly silk scarf hand painted" (no tag shown to confirm fabric).

The RN number search at rn.ftc.gov  for 24409 brings up Marvin Accessories Inc.,  only an "importer, wholesaler" (apparently no longer extant).

Anyway, it looks like Giuly was a lesser known designer/manufacturer of scarves, mostly acetate (i.e. synthetic, not "silk") and made in Japan — as many were c.70s (like Echo, Vera etc.) 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you so much for this detailed reply.  This information is so helpful as I was struggling to find anything on my own to identify the signature.  I also learned something new as I wasn't aware of the site rn.ftc.gov.  So very helpful.  Thank you, Thank you!!!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply