cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help identifying Antique or Vintage Painted Bead purse

Hi I found this clutch purse a while back and I can't find anything on it.  It's beaded but the beads appear to be painted.  Someone mentioned this to be a trend during the 70s/80s but the lining looks older.    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!unnamed-8.jpgunnamed-7.jpgunnamed-6.jpgunnamed-9.jpgunnamed-10.jpgunnamed-11.jpgunnamed-13.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I'm not very knowledgeable about beaded bags but it may help you in your research to note that this bag was painted after the beads were joined and the bag assembled.  You can see this by looking at the areas where the color was applied inaccurately.

The artwork appears to be an attempt to depict a thunderbird and was very popular on young women's clothing and accessories during the 1960s and early 70's, as an attempt to create a North American Indian look. This one appears to be of that style, although poorly executed, and is only vaguely representational.

Sorry that I can't offer any really helpful information.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you so much!  Any tips help.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

That's a very odd thing.  Certainly meant to mimic a Native America design.  But don't agree that painting was done after purse assembled.  Painted beads can clearly be seen in interior where they are partially covered by lining.   From shape, lining and colorway, certainly older than 1960s but...  how old?   Hard to tell but,  if I had to guess, I'd say post-World War II.   Late 1940s, 1950s.

Debora

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

We may define assembly (pre or post lining/stitching) differently.

In any case, as the pics below show - the painting occurred after the beads had already been strung and joined into the required shape  I think of assembly of outer bag, assembly of lining and then joining of bag to lining and addition of hardware and finishing following that.  Sorry if I added an unhelpful element of confusion - many people see the entire process as assembly.

My intended subtext point being that at whatever age this is cheaply, poorly made = likely not of much resale value and unlikely of even passing interest to a collector of beaded bags.

paintedbeads1.jpgpaintedbeads2.jpg

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 5 of 5
latest reply