cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gucci authentication

Hello. I recently purchased a Gucci handbag on eBay. The listing said the bag was authentic but after receiving the item it doesn't seem to be real. The serial number is on one line not two and the quality seems poor. The listing said no returns but also said the bag was authentic. Does anyone know if the bag is real? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Gucci-GG-Supreme-Purse-/263117153405?txnId=0

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Gucci authentication

I requested the mods move this over to the Fashion Board.

I don't authenticate Gucci but there are a couple gals over there that do.

You'll need to add more photos to this thread.. The entire bag, hardware for starters.

CHEERS

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Gucci authentication

I requested the mods move this over to the Fashion Board.

I don't authenticate Gucci but there are a couple gals over there that do.

You'll need to add more photos to this thread.. The entire bag, hardware for starters.

CHEERS

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

Thank you - here are more photos 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

I'm pretty sure that's the correct serial format for a vintage bag.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

I have read several times that there are two rows of serial numbers on all bags. I own one real Gucci purchased at net-a-porter and the serial number is two lines.

http://bagvanity.com/gucci-authenticity-check-real-gucci-handbags-fakes/

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

@xxdrownedworldxx wrote:

I have read several times that there are two rows of serial numbers on all bags. I own one real Gucci purchased at net-a-porter and the serial number is two lines.

http://bagvanity.com/gucci-authenticity-check-real-gucci-handbags-fakes/

Feel free to wait for other opinions because Gucci isn't my specialty but I'm posting 2 pictures of items that I sold and KNOW they're authentic.

In my experience, 95% of the "authenticity guides" floated around the internet are useless. They contain inaccurate, obsolete and incomplete information. And there are very few "always/never" rules when it comes to designer items.

The first from a leather horsebit wallet and the second is from a monogram zipper star shaped coin purse. BOTH have 1-line serial numbers and BOTH are absolutely authentic.

albertabrightalberta

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

Thanks for your help - look like yours are pressed in the leather - the one in question is printed on top instead 

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

My point in posting those 2 pictures was to dispute your statement on what you'd "read several times that there are two rows of serial numbers on all bags."

My items weren't vintage and the one vintage item I had did have a gold-stamped serial number but my camera wasn't able to capture a good picture because it was a tight spot.

PLEASE WAIT FOR @dvgvintage or @orange_cape_hides_me or another Gucci expert.
albertabrightalberta

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

Got it - I also feel the zipper is very lightweight and the quality of the leather is poor. Thanks for tagging the experts! 

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

@xxdrownedworldxx -  your handbag is authentic, as in a vintage Gucci handbag.  I've read the entire thread and looked at pictures of both the Seller's listing and the ones that you posted and it is indeed authentic.  The handbags in the link that you posted are later model handbags, however the older bags tags are as shown in the first picture on this thread.  I did not see the serial number in the Seller's listing which IMHO it should have been posted.  And if I am not mistaken, I believe the bag is from the 70s - orange caped can confirm the year.  The lining in the pictures that you posted look good and not flaking that is none for Gucci's.  It would be great to have the original receipt, but who knew that eBay would come about as it did 🙂  I wish that I had kept the receipts for mine, however, most of the vintage Gucci's that I have, I purchased here withouth a doubt of their authenticity.

In the 80's I worked at Bamberger's at the Gucci counter and lusted for a Gucci.  I was only able to purchase one when they were on sale and with my discount (which I still have), but they were so "in" 🙂  I was contemplating thinning out my collection, but I will just hold on to them a bit longer (kinda of scared to list them here.

Your bag is authentic and and I hope that you enjoy it!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

dvgvintage
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

@xxdrownedworldxx wrote:

Got it - I also feel the zipper is very lightweight and the quality of the leather is poor. Thanks for tagging the experts! 

I'm trying to think of those who do gucci. I can't guarantee they can help but if they look and can offer advice, it's worth a try.

Try these also:
@mupcycledcouture

@gogoproductions

@ohgreatgucci

albertabrightalberta

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

@dvgvintage - those were my pictures I'd posted simply to let the OP know that not all serial numbers are split between 2 lines. I knew the my items weren't as old as hers.
albertabrightalberta

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

Oh okay, I thought the first pic looked different.  If the OP can wait until I can figure out how to post pics from my laptop, I will post a few of mine.  My moniter is going in and out and it is driving me crazy 😞  Just another one of my items that has or will bit the dust  LOL!  Maybe I can sneak in a pic on the desktop, or I will ask my son before he leaves the house from my cell camera.  BRB

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

dvgvintage
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

@albertabrightalberta wrote:
@dvgvintage - those were my pictures I'd posted simply to let the OP know that not all serial numbers are split between 2 lines. I knew the my items weren't as old as hers.

Are you sure she wasn't talking about the  photos in the LINK the OP posted??

Perhaps I misread that.. 

NVM I'm confused.. LOL

~Pika~

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Gucci authentication

@pikabo-icu wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

Are you sure she wasn't talking about the  photos in the LINK the OP posted??

Perhaps I misread that.. 

NVM I'm confused.. LOL

I'm confused too. My post pictures were in post 6 . The OP's pictures were posted in earlier posts.

albertabrightalberta

Message 15 of 24
latest reply