cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOODWILL CUTTING CLOTHING LABELS

I am getting back into the swing of things selling on eBay and am now starting to look at selling name brand clothing I find at thrift stores and other places. One thing I run into is Goodwill specifically puts X's and lines through the clothing label or cuts them. Obviously if it's cut there is no repairing that, but... Here are my questions...

Does anyone else's local GW do this?

Can you sell items that have cut tags or should I stay away from those?

Do you try to remove the black marker from the label?

Would it be advisable to sell them with them marked?

Thank you so much for the help in advance! I look forward to hearing what you think.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I think as long as you list that the inside tag is "damaged" and be specific as to what that means- wrote on, cut, etc... that the items are still ok to list. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for the feedback! Is this something they do in your area?

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

The Goodwills in my area don't do that. There is a resale shop in my area, though, that receives donations from several J. Jill stores in the area. Those items have cut/marked labels. I just note it in the listing and don't have any problem selling the items.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

In cases where stores donate items to thrifts, the regular retailer is the one who marks or cuts the labels as a way to prevent buyers from trying to return thrift items to their full priced stores.
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

What I do in that case (where I have an otherwise saleable pc of clothing) is to show a photo of the cut label and either put a caption under it saying TAG HAS BEEN CUT BY RETAILER TO PREVENT RETURNS or put it both in the caption and in the description.  I don't think most buyers would care if the tag was cut, but of course you have to mention it.

In my opinion, the worst idea our local GW ever had was writing the PRICE on the clothing label, ugh!  They've since stopped that.

Good luck!

Beth 🙂

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

The Goodwills in my area all draw red lines through the labels of all items with price tags.  The cheaper stuff just gets a barb.  They say it's to keep customers from trying to buy their boutique items at regular prices.  At one point one store even wrote the price on the lining of certain clothing.  That's just beyond ridiculous.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

My GW do not cut the tags but they write on the  label with black marker... I use this product to remove the marker lines :

motsenbocker's lift off works great!!!

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Do you sell the items at a lower price because of the tag?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Which version of the product do you use? I see they have many different options! 🙂 Any before and after pictures?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@linseyl1025 wrote:

Which version of the product do you use? I see they have many different options! 🙂 Any before and after pictures?

the one for ink removal and no I never thought about taking before and after pictures... I  have been using this product for years... it is extremely good!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the tip theshoppingmom2! Cat Happy

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@blessndress any time:-)

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I haven't found it necessary to reduce the price of items because of cut/marked labels. In my experience, it hasn't made a difference.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

The GW here in NE rights "GW" on the tags.... 😞

Message 15 of 16
latest reply