cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Scam

I have sold a brand new LV mini palm springs backpack  on ebay (please see link below) and I had no return policy on this items and all my brand new luxury handbag listing. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122753903099?ssPageName=STRK:MEREX:IT

The buyer received and personally signed for the bag on October 21th, but  requested the a return today, Oct. 29th,  and stated that she/he opened the bag yesterday and thought the bag was not authentic.  

I purchased the bag directly from my local boutique on Oct 12th and listed the second day. I sold it on 17th and shipped on 18th. So there is no way this bag is not brand new neither can it be non-authentic.  I included all original packaging(bag, dust bag, tags) as well as a copy of the receipt  in the package to the buyer, and videotaped my packing and shipping process.

There were a few things  that make me think this person is  actually A  SCAMMER, but not an uneducated buyer. 

1. She/he first claimed she tried to verify the serial number on the website but failed. However,  LV do not verify authenticity of the bag online.  

After I gave him/her my local boutique number to verify my purchase, the buyer claimed she/he  called the boutique and the boutique said it is fake. However, LV boutiques will never offer any authenticity confirmation over phone.

So clearly she lied about these actions she took to verify the bag's authenticity.

2.  I urged the buyer multiple times to have the bag professionally authenticated  or take photos of the bags that shows parts she had questions. She/he did not respond to my request  and kept stating  that the bag feels plasticky, and that she/he had LV purchases before. 

3. After I provided the video caption of my packing process where I showed the actual date code of the bag to the camera, and urged her/him to take photo of the "serial number" (date code) she/he claims to have problems,  She/he finally took a few photos, but photoshopped the inprints of the bag(she/he made the inprint parts vague). She then claimed couldn't find the serial number.  

5. She had only one review for purchasing target item in the past six month and no other activities. 

My current concern is that the buyer is trying to scam me by having their money back, while still keeping the bag. 

This was not the first luxury bag I sold. I  have sold multiple bags on ebay and over 150 luxury items on other platform.  I only started to sell my items on ebay recently due to the fee increase on the other platform. But this is the first time I encoutered a buyer like this. How do people  on ebay usually handle situation like this? 

A few more questions.

a. Am I allowed to post screen shots of the messages with the buyer here to get more inputs?

b. Am I allowed to show the buyer's ID to warn other sellers for future scams?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buyer Scam

If the buyer is sincere about questioning authenticity, you can refer her here or other "authenticate this Louis Vuitton" forums where she can post for reassurance.

My guess is that it's probably a renter who either realized that the bag didn't work for her after "test driving" or she wanted it for an "occasion" and no longer needs it. And as such, she sees your no return policy and thinks she needs a reason for returning.

I hesitate to suggest insisting on denial of the claim if it's buyer's remorse. Too often, when sellers insist on "no return," ebay assumes you don't want the bag back so they issue the refund without requiring the return. So buyer ends up with both bag and money and you (seller) get nothing.

My suggestion would be either of the following:
1. If buyer needs reassurance of authenticity, refer her here or the other place where she can ask questions and voice concerns. Perhaps that will convince her of authenticity and she'll be happy with it. Send her links to this thread, this board and the other.
2. If buyer really just wants to return, tell her you'll accept the return of the bag and once you receive and confirm that it's the same bag you sent and in the same condition, you'll issue the refund.

My guess is that it's not a scammer who plans a switcheroo but if it is, cross that bridge when you come to it.

Send all messages and communications through ebay messages and/or through the dispute console if the dispute has been filed.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Buyer Scam

no return on your listing---means nothing- always trumped by the buyer protection policy

Best accept the return and hope you get your same item back.

I'm sure more exprienced posters will be along shortly and give  more informed input on this matter.

Hope things work for you-best of luck with your future listings

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

Accept the return and hope that you get your same bag back. That is about all the options you have at this point. Otherwise do nothing, you will be out the bag and money along with a negative mark on your account. Also taking video doesn't do you any good in regards to a case with ebay they will not review it regardless. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

@davidmiya wrote:

a. Am I allowed to post screen shots of the messages with the buyer here to get more inputs?

b. Am I allowed to show the buyer's ID to warn other sellers for future scams?

In answer to your questions, the answer is no. ebay board rules don't allow "naming and shaming." But there are other forums with different rules. 

I saw your post "elsewhere" and will wait for LV people to reply. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

If the buyer is sincere about questioning authenticity, you can refer her here or other "authenticate this Louis Vuitton" forums where she can post for reassurance.

My guess is that it's probably a renter who either realized that the bag didn't work for her after "test driving" or she wanted it for an "occasion" and no longer needs it. And as such, she sees your no return policy and thinks she needs a reason for returning.

I hesitate to suggest insisting on denial of the claim if it's buyer's remorse. Too often, when sellers insist on "no return," ebay assumes you don't want the bag back so they issue the refund without requiring the return. So buyer ends up with both bag and money and you (seller) get nothing.

My suggestion would be either of the following:
1. If buyer needs reassurance of authenticity, refer her here or the other place where she can ask questions and voice concerns. Perhaps that will convince her of authenticity and she'll be happy with it. Send her links to this thread, this board and the other.
2. If buyer really just wants to return, tell her you'll accept the return of the bag and once you receive and confirm that it's the same bag you sent and in the same condition, you'll issue the refund.

My guess is that it's not a scammer who plans a switcheroo but if it is, cross that bridge when you come to it.

Send all messages and communications through ebay messages and/or through the dispute console if the dispute has been filed.

albertabrightalberta

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

Just accept the return. The battle isn't even half over if you win the ebay case. The buyer can still file with paypal and they can file a credit card chargeback. Its in your best interest to get the bag back. If she files with paypal or her CC, all bets are off and you'll probably lose the bag and the money.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

The bag has to be signed for or I believe your “buyer” has no protection on the return so if you accept the return I sure as heck would make sure that I signed and opened it with photographs in front of your PO clerk and get their name.  I’d be concerned for a scammer and just happy to get my own bag back. 

It probably is just buyer’s remorse but protect yourself as much as you can. Post back and let us know what happens.

BTW I wonder if you had professionally authenticated the bag by a known authenticator (I’ve used authenticate4u on my own secondary market purchases and it only costs $7.50) if that would have stopped this whole mess. From now on do it and state that the bag has been professionally authenticated and that the company can be contacted to confirm. You can give them the listing number.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

I called the ebay and they basically said exactly what previous person said. Ebay said they have no way to verify if the buyer received the actual item in the post regardless what proof I have.  I guess now I can only pray to have my actual bag back. I will have the opening box video taking for sure. But I doubt if ebay will do anything.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

I uses authentification service for all my second hand purchase even for purchase on yoogi's closet and fashionphile. However, this bag I sold is a brand new Lv I purchased only 4 days ago directly from the boutique. And now I am out of money out of the bag. 😞

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

Yes, that's exactly what the ebay high claim guy said. And the buyer also seems well informed about these measures. So clearly, this isn't their first time pulling this trick.  

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

Ya, I posted the listing also under the authenticate thread. I guess I will have to face it that this is how selling on ebay works. 0 protection for sellors. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

@davidmiya wrote:

Ya, I posted the listing also under the authenticate thread. I guess I will have to face it that this is how selling on ebay works. 0 protection for sellors. 

I'm so sorry this happened and yes this is a common issue for ebay sellers. You can't prove what you sent and buyers hold all cards 😞

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

FIRST 

Immediately report the buyer - you can find the link in the top right of your feedback page

Tell ebay that the buyer is abusing buyer protection - in the details explain what is going on - This is a must for all sellers who have problems with buyers. eBay will begin to investigate and see if there is a pattern of behavior etc compare addresses/ISPs etc ALWAYS report buyers who are dishonest ALWAYS.

Second - Contact Paypal and ask for a manager - they will instruct you what else you can do,

THIRD upon recieveing the package refuse delivery at your house and ask to get it at the post office Open the package at the post office - do not sign for it at home but at the post office - Open in front of the postal worker.  if the bag is not the right one immediately file a compaint with the post office - this is mail fraud and they will investigate - From the post office immediately go to the police station and file a report for fraud/stolen goods whatever they say applies. Bring both the police complaint and USPS complaint home. Immediately contact eBay and send them both reports, do the same for Paypal.  

Good luck

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

For the (a. & b.) there's a link to Guidelines at the top-right of this page. It's a quick read and explains do's & don'ts.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Welcome/Rules-of-Engagement/m-p/26164369

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Buyer Scam

Thank you very much for your respond. I did immediately report the buyer. However, the buyer now decided not to return, and ebay has closed both the return request and my complain. I am not exactly sure what makes the buyer change the mind, but I am relieved that this is resolved. 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply