cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are **bad ESN** phones allowed to be sold on eBay?

sdlovell
Enthusiast
These phones are, by definition, phones which have been identified by the carrier as stolen, lost, activated on another persons account, etc. I don't see how selling stolen property on eBay is a viable means of handing off these devices.

Yes, in some cases it's possible that phones can be flashed to other networks to get around the bad ESN tag and therefore still be used for their intended purpose, but it doesn't make any sense that eBay is allowing the auctions of so many devices with the bad ESN tag.

Require that the ESN status of each device be laid out and establish guidelines for selling cell phones. The carriers aren't all that helpful, but if a third party could get involved and guide or guarantee that the buyer won't be stuck with a non-working device, then we'd all be a little bit happier.
Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

I think eBay should force sellers to disclose the ESN in the auction

So that they can be cloned?

Message 16 of 220
latest reply

I think eBay should force sellers to disclose the ESN in the auction

So that they can be cloned?

Sorry for the double post, screwed up the quote in my last one.

Message 17 of 220
latest reply

b1bmagic
Enthusiast

so let me get this staight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we know they are stolen phones ,they knpw they are stolen phones and ebay self concious do not do nothing ,HUO. I have a suspended selling account because someone reported my pictures they are not well lighted but stollen phones are okay !!!!! Is in this some out of this world??????????

Message 18 of 220
latest reply

tcoza
Enthusiast

so are they safe to buy?

Message 19 of 220
latest reply

so let me get this staight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we know they are stolen phones ,they knpw they are stolen phones and ebay self concious do not do nothing ,HUO. I have a suspended selling account because someone reported my pictures they are not well lighted but stollen phones are okay !!!!! Is in this some out of this world??????????

It's already been discussed that bad ESN phones, although somewhat likely to be stolen, are not necessarily stolen.  Also, eBay has been known to suspend sellers for some rather odd and often unfair reasons but I absolutely don't believe you were suspended for dim lighting in your pictures.

Message 20 of 220
latest reply

jacksonwd
Enthusiast

Other than being reported as stolen or lost, how can a cell listed as brand new sealed in box (ebay's description of New, not New-other) have a bad ESN?

Message 21 of 220
latest reply

wireless_exchange
Enthusiast

Other than being reported as stolen or lost, how can a cell listed as brand new sealed in box (ebay's description of New, not New-other) have a bad ESN?

Some people go to Sprint or Verizon and open several lines under contract to get the brand new phones for the low contract price and then just sell the phones.

The phones in turn have Bad ESNs because whoever they sell them to cannot activate them on Sprint or Verizon since they are still in service under the original owner's account.

Message 22 of 220
latest reply

wireless_exchange
Enthusiast

so are they safe to buy?

Only if you know how or know someone who knows how to flash them to work on the network you want to use them on.

Message 23 of 220
latest reply

zamboni77
Enthusiast

I can't believe that if I sold my wife's iphone 4 on verizon with a good esn, it would sell for almost 200 less then a device with a bad esn.

Makes me shake my head.

Message 24 of 220
latest reply

gporpc
Guide

I can't believe that if I sold my wife's iphone 4 on verizon with a good esn, it would sell for almost 200 less then a device with a bad esn.

Makes me shake my head.

Why are you saying $200 less?

Message 25 of 220
latest reply

It's amazing with this crap economy most of my friends have lost their iphones once-- typically due to someone stealing the phone while living in NYC. Mine was also literally grabbed out of my hands by someone who probably makes a living out of stealing the phones and truthfully I would never buy the phones with bad esn.

I know that these phones are listed as *BAD ESN* phones-- I assure you I can read English. My deal is that they shouldn't be listed even with the notification "bad esn" because obviously they're stolen or lost. I talked to the police in my area (SF) and they tell me a lot of phones get stolen everyday.

If somebody's house got robbed and the thief sold the stolen goods and got found out by Ebay, the listings would be removed. Obviously. Really don't see difference with this case with the iphones with bad esn.    

Message 26 of 220
latest reply

i bet that ebay doesnt want to deal with the fact that if they didnt allow people to sell bad esn phones they would have to do so much more work to keep up with the people that try to. ALSO they make money off people when they sell on ebay and since so many phones are bad esn they would lose a lot of profit...

Message 27 of 220
latest reply

It's amazing with this crap economy most of my friends have lost their iphones once-- typically due to someone stealing the phone while living in NYC. Mine was also literally grabbed out of my hands by someone who probably makes a living out of stealing the phones and truthfully I would never buy the phones with bad esn.

I know that these phones are listed as *BAD ESN* phones-- I assure you I can read English. My deal is that they shouldn't be listed even with the notification "bad esn" because obviously they're stolen or lost. I talked to the police in my area (SF) and they tell me a lot of phones get stolen everyday.

If somebody's house got robbed and the thief sold the stolen goods and got found out by Ebay, the listings would be removed. Obviously. Really don't see difference with this case with the iphones with bad esn.

As had been said more than once, bad ESN phones are likely to be stolen but not necessarily stolen.  ESNs could be bad as the result of a bad flash, an unpaid bill, or even hardware damage.

Message 28 of 220
latest reply

gporpc
Guide

As had been said more than once, bad ESN phones are likely to be stolen but not necessarily stolen.  ESNs could be bad as the result of a bad flash, an unpaid bill, or even hardware damage.

RE:

ESNs could be bad as the result of a bad flash, an unpaid bill, or even hardware damage

Exactly....

But an unpaid bill and if the intial contract period has not ended, the phone still belongs to the carrier.

Message 29 of 220
latest reply

Here is a solution. They could require the seller to post the ESN of "BAD ESN" phones. Also, have a way to report ESN of stolen phones to ebay. So if a phone with a stolen ESN is posted whoever reported it would be notified. To prevent theifs from using a bogus ESN, the review process could request the ESN from the buyer and also check whether it is stolen.

Message 30 of 220
latest reply