cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are **bad ESN** phones allowed to be sold on eBay?

sdlovell
Enthusiast
These phones are, by definition, phones which have been identified by the carrier as stolen, lost, activated on another persons account, etc. I don't see how selling stolen property on eBay is a viable means of handing off these devices.

Yes, in some cases it's possible that phones can be flashed to other networks to get around the bad ESN tag and therefore still be used for their intended purpose, but it doesn't make any sense that eBay is allowing the auctions of so many devices with the bad ESN tag.

Require that the ESN status of each device be laid out and establish guidelines for selling cell phones. The carriers aren't all that helpful, but if a third party could get involved and guide or guarantee that the buyer won't be stuck with a non-working device, then we'd all be a little bit happier.
Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

So chances are you bought a stolen phone because it was cheaper than buying parts from the manufacture, and because it was allowed on ebay, and because it fixed your phone, it is ok?

Message 151 of 220
latest reply

I'm not sure what BAD ESN means but if I need the parts because me pit bull decided to chew the back cover... then I'd buy one.

Message 152 of 220
latest reply

However in saying this we are ASSUMING all sellers care about their ratings? Those who in nned of cash may well let one item slip by and take a negative. Now how is it solved? I'll grant you, we should be reading every word in the ad, though not all ads are so easy to read. But perhaps there ought to be stronger consequences for something like this for the seller when info such as bad esn/imei is left out of their ad.

Message 153 of 220
latest reply

Well I guess I ran out of time to edit my post, how nice. So I'll type as fast as I can. There ought to be a heading for Parts, as there is for New and Used. And even then we find ads that use New, unused, unopened, and then see photos which show the item opened and turned on, and maybe even out of warranty. That's not NEW!!! So it cannot always be easily deciphered as to what the ad means.

Message 154 of 220
latest reply

I bought a sprint refurbished cell phone and the buyer claim it has a good ESN and ready to activate and was tested. I just got it in mail today, go to activated and bam it was reported lost/stolen..... the seller said he doesn't know how that happened but he give me full refund but I guess I got to pay shipping back. such waste of time.

I think eBay shouldn't allow sellers to sell quantity's of cell phones...they should all be separately with ESN listed like a cars vin number. All this is doing creating bad business and unhappy eBay customers.

Total waste my time and money now I have to deal with my **bleep**py failing cell phone.
Message 155 of 220
latest reply

cdma phones dont have sim cards
Message 156 of 220
latest reply

I buy bad esn phones and sell them in Europe and South America for big bucks. They are also great for spear parts.

Message 157 of 220
latest reply

So if someone defaults on their bill and does not pay the ETF, they still own the phone?
Message 158 of 220
latest reply

@jbr1249 wrote:
So if someone defaults on their bill and does not pay the ETF, they still own the phone?

Yes, they do.  They will probably get a mark on their credit report, but they still own the phone.

Message 159 of 220
latest reply

Actually, I want a cheap iPhone but I never ever want device on it. Nothing is more annoying to me than having people call me whenever they want and try and make their problems my problems.

I use my phones like mini wifi tablets. No phone service. Ever. So a bad esn phone has a lot off appeal to me if it can knock $500 off an already outrageously priced iPhone.

So yeah, they are just phones with no service on them and there is a market for them for people like me and eBay is right to allow their sale
Message 160 of 220
latest reply

why they cant? China's iphone 5 requires a sim card cdma model.  A1429 

Message 161 of 220
latest reply

I have been selling devices with BAD ESNs for almost 2 years now. I am a top seller and gold powerseller. All of you people saying that it is a "shameful practice" and a "scam" don't know what you're talking about. As long as it is stated in the listing that the device has a BAD ESN or IMEI then everything should be fine and it is only the fault of the buyer if they buy the phone in hopes of activating it on said carrier. 

BAD ESN devices can be used as parts for repair technicians like myself, hence why they are allowed to be listed and bought on eBay. Alot of BAD ESN devices can also be FLASHED or UNLOCKED to be used on different carriers. People also buy BAD ESN devices to use as strictly WiFi devices only; to be able to connect to WiFi connections here and there to play a game or surf the web every now and then.

As long as you disclose this information a few times in your listing, you should never have a lot of issues. Sure, every now and then I'll get that one person who failed to read the description properly, but it doesn't happen a lot because I disclose the fact that the device has a BAD ESN in both the title and the description of the device.

Message 162 of 220
latest reply

This upsets me. I bought a phone on craigslist and later tried to sell it but US Cellular wont let me sell it because MY PHONE that I got from somewhere else is now tied to my account and has "Bad ESN" so no, it's not nessicarily a scam or stolen. They may just have an unpaid bill.

Message 163 of 220
latest reply

actualy verizon has release a cdma 4g sim card now that goes in their phones. but the cdma and gsm phones still wont work on each others networks

Message 164 of 220
latest reply

Shortsighted and childish response.   Phones have bad ESNs for one reason, per contract you did pay your bill or a dispute resolution was not in your favor and you did not pay your bill. 

It's stolen merchandise.  Pay for the phone via the contract.

If it's not paid for through contract, you just can't sell it so someone else who can use it on another carrier.   You failed to pay for your phone.

Message 165 of 220
latest reply