cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used Software: To Buy or Not to Buy?

Hello to all!

I'm brand new to this discussion forum but a long-time buyer on Ebay.  In general, I've had nothing but good experiences until recently, when I purchased a software product with a product key that may have been stolen.  Regardless of whether or not it was deliberate fraud, the manufacturer permanently blocked the product key.  It's too late for a refund from the seller.  My fault.  I delayed the installation because I knew there was a chance that the install might not go smoothly on my older machine and I wanted to make sure I had the time to deal with that.

That said, I'm not completely sworn off the "used software," purchasing experience, as I've received some good deals in the past. 

My question for those of you who have experience in this area (as well as the time and generosity of spirit to answer), is this:  

If YOU were interested in buying such software, how would YOU determine whether or not it was worth the risk?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
You have 180 days from purchase date to return a defective item via your PayPal account, just know that you will have to return it at your own cost including online viewable tracking.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

@@repairelectronics wrote:
You have 180 days from purchase date to return a defective item via your PayPal account, just know that you will have to return it at your own cost including online viewable tracking.

Thank you so much for this information!

I'm still wondering what "tips" all of you may be able to share about "vetting" a potential used software purchase before you click the "buy" button?

One of the reasons I'm asking, is that I've heard--from "those in the know"--that there are ways for a seller to inflate his or her own reputation. 

Simplified, what process do  "seasoned buyers" use to evaluate a seller's reputation? 

Thanks again and I hope you have a blessed day!

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

it really depends on the product. I sold a set of CDROMs with a hardware security key (Logic Pro) and it went very smoothly. I photographed the key and made it clear that it was legit, and the buyer would have had reasonable assurance that it would work for them, because that's just how that stuff works. But something like a Microsoft product that's tied to an account, I'd be much less confident in. I'd buy an old Commodore 64 game, but not a used copy of Battlefield. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply