cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public service announcement -Fake smoke detectors

techgrh
Adventurer

I just wanted to warn everyone who buys a smoke detector on ebay. IMMEDIATELY test your purchase with real smoke. If the detector does not sound alarm with presence of smoke, probably a fake. Do not assume that it works just because the test button sounds the alarm when pressed. tried to get me to close my case and negotiate privately,. I refused. They offered 30,50,70,80 % refund, and even tried to claim I would have to pay to return the device if I wanted a refund.. Not true. Seller ALWAYS pays to have a defective item returned if they want it back. I finally got a full refund when I said I should not have to pay even one penny for a fake device that could endanger my life, and maybe ebay should step in.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

FYI.. when your house catches fire, what a detector triggers on is not the popular concept of "smoke" that people first think of. My grandmother used to set a paper towel on fire and wave it around the house. This is not the sort of thing that your detector is made to detect, and it is also dangerous.

Burning wiring and wood generates an invisible smoke that you can smell, but not see. It's a specific blend and concentration of particle sizes. The best way I know of to test a smoke alarm is to cook a steak in the broiler with the oven door open. It sets all of my detectors off every time, especially if you overcook it.

One more thing.. bringing an open flame near a smoke detector can damage its electronics.

They make canned smoke that you can use for the purpose of testing smoke detectors. I bet it costs a fortune too. But don't test yours by burning paper or incense.. it won't tell you if it will actually go off in a real house fire.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I am really weary about buying a smoke detector on Ebay or Amazon. Thank you for the warning and advice. Ebay needs to put a stop to fakes being sold I have bought "fake trainers and fake north face which put me off using Ebay but I will not risk my families life without 100% confidence that all smoke alarms on Ebay are genuine and safe,regards,F D
Message 3 of 3
latest reply