cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potentially New Seller Shooting Ideas Out There

I have 2 consoles, a memory card(I could even offer game saves for those wanting everything ready out of the box),  2 controllers(One is wireless), 2 very rare, sought after games(same game actually that no one has offered in an auction yet), power cable hookup for the system, and a very, very rare AV cable that works for 3 or more different systems and that was designed to take visual imperfections out of the gaming experience(I haven't found this cable anywhere or one that does what it was advertised to do). This AV probably has seen its better days(a little rust on outside metal); it still works.

The system is the PS2. The rare game goes for $55 - $60 in ordinary or playable condition. One of them that I have is in Good condition. The other is in Like New condition. So, both are better than this bare minimum. The games are in their original cases and have their booklets included.

Should I package the 2 consoles(slim), all of the cables together, memory card, and the game in good condition in the auction? Then, should I sell the Like New game seperately? My goal is to make $30 and I'm happy to make more. To do this,  I'd have to get $196 at least for the PS2 lot and Like New Cond. game combined. $136 and $60+ would be my likely prices. Like I said, I am not adversed to making even more. I have factored in Ebay/Paypal fees and the buyer will pay for shipping/insurance.

Is my logic flawed? Given this setup, should I put a fixed on the PS2 lot? If not, where would you start at so that you received $136 or more? Should I auction the seperate game disc auction with a bid that is close so it might go higher than $60? What about people that will not honor their bids? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

On eBay you run a very high (in my humble opinion, unacceptably high) risk of a buyer swapping hardware or media with you to replace a broken system. There are tons of PS2s out there with failed optical drives.

You might get a note from the buyer days after receipt that the console doesn't play games, the optical drive isn't working, and/or the rare game disc is scratched. It doesn't matter if you have photos proving that it worked or wasn't scratched before you shipped it. The unfortunate fact is, you'd be giving all the unscrupulous eBay users in the world an opportunity to get their PS2 repaired for free.

Take the listing and final value fees and shipping and your time into consideration and check first whether a local trader would give you a good enough price on your collection. I've got several PS2s and I know there's a thriving PS2 community in my area.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Your logic is not flawed. 

HOWEVER, you are a new buyer attempting to sell in a very high risk category. 

My advice:  Don't. 

You need to learn to walk before you can run.  Sell other items first.  Learn how the system works and deal with the problems you will get along the way because, yes, there may be problems; this is why you want to sell lower priced stuff first.  You'll also get more feedback numbers, and that does make a difference because there are sharks in the eBay waters who troll constantly looking for easy fresh meat....and that means newbies selling high risk items.

Sell on eBay.  You should.  Really.  Just don't start with something high-priced and high risk because you're asking for a bad fish to bite if you do.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply