cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found these old typewriters in a thrift store

How much do you think I could profit from these? They're for sale for $15 at Goodwill.

Swintec 8014 TypewriterSwintec 8014 TypewriterBrother TypewriterBrother Typewriter

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

That's $15 more than I would pay. lol
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
I'd have to agree with nova7000, as a technical opinion, they are only worth what copper value is in the cord. As far as the intrinsic or collectors value I would find it hard to believe anybody would want a non-vintage/antique typewriter, btw I cut my teeth as a typewriter repairman in the 70's and those are far from a manual Royal or IBM Selectric which can have some value.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I've already looked into these as there are a couple at our nearby Thrift Stores. The Thrift Stores, themselves, are selling them for $20 each, but when I did research I found that over 3 months time people are only willing to pay up to $20-$25 each (free shipping) for these. With a shipping cost of $12.40 to $18.80 + Initial Cost to Buy + eBay's 10% Final Sale Fee + PayPal's 7% Transfer Fee = Not Profitable. Even if I managed to successfully get away with a Lowball offer of $5 for the Thrift Store, then it's still not worth it in the end. 

So, best case scenario, it'd be $5 (Purchase Cost) + $12.40 (Shipping Cost) + $2 (10% of $20) + $1.40 (7% of $20) = $20.80 - $20 = Loss of $0.80.

Also, these specific models were made in the Late 90's and Early 00's. They're not considered "Vintage" or "Old" or "Antique". You're gonna want to aim for the ones that are not electronically powered on any level and purely were Mechanical in nature. Especially, if you found something from the 1930's. 

If you don't take risks, then you'll receive no reward.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Typewriters are making a comeback!

Mostly the mechanical ones.. but people use them for art projects. Michael's still sells brand-new ones.

It's $15 more than I'd pay too but apparently someone would.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply