cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake SSD drives

This is just to inform other buyers of a peculiar kind of a product that is currently sold by many sellers on eBay.  I won't link to any particular listing, because the same apparently identical product appears to be sold by many vendors, but they all share the same images and have a similar description:

tmp.png

So that's a 2 TB external SSD drive, somewhat quaintly described as "USB 3.0 High Speed Type-C 2TB External Mobile Solid State Drive Storage Phones", sold for just $30-40 apiece. Too good to be true? A friend decided to find out, and bought two. I got to test one of them, and this is what I found out:

* The write speed is pretty low -- around 7 MB / sec, i.e. ca. 20 GB/hour on my Dell laptop. (For comparison, an older WD external HD I have writes about 6-7 times as fast, ca. 45 MB/sec). So it would take around 100 hours of writing to actually fill the drive with the data, if it had the advertised capacity. But that's a big IF...
* I started copying a large directory tree of mostly images and PDF files to the drive, around 300 GB in total size. After about 15 hours, the writing was completed, and I took a look at the written data. The first subdirectory is fine, the second is fine is well, and so on... until you look through about 120 GB of data. Beyond that, any additional data subdirectories weren't even readable, not to speak about files in them.
* I did a few more additional tests, copying individual files or directories to the drive, comparing them with the originals, and then deleting them. For some files it seemed to work fine, but for others (esp. ZIP and MP4 files),  you see that the file is corrupt, even though a correct file size is shown. Once you start reading them back, you see that you're just reading 0xFF bytes (a byte with all bits set) back instead of most of the blocks of the data.

So my overall impression is that what's inside the case is probably something like a 128 GB flash memory unit, and some circuitry which makes it pretend to be a 2 TB drive. I have read about some scams like this elsewhere ( e.g. https://www.ontrack.com/en-gb/blog/how-to-spot-a-fake-ssd ), but did not quite expect to see an item like this "in the wild".

Unlike the blogger in the article linked above, we did not actually break the cute little device open; the vendor has a good refund policy, so we were able to return the items for a full refund.  But I don't know if one would be similarly lucky with all vendors selling this product... so, buyer beware! Make sure to at least test a product like this if you buy one!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Fake SSD drives

You could report the item on ebay. Perhaps they might take a look at it if they use the same picture and description

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

repairelectronics
Trailblazer

Thanks for the link, it's a good deal - I just bought the 3 pack for $30, 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

How do you report multiple listings of fake goods to eBay. I've been going round in circles trying to do so, but they deliberately make it very difficult to contact them over something like this.

I guess they don't take fake / counterfeit item listings seriously after all !

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

I wouldn't say that they don't. They need to conclude it is fraudulent.

For example, lets say I sold those SSD drives. You could report me to ebay, but ebay needs to investigate the report. There a lot of possibilities that could happen.

• VERO (Copyright) Violation
  • Account could be suspended
  • Nothing

Now that's a small list of things, and I could go on. Besides ebay would need a lot of people to say its fraudulent, if they went off of a 1 report system, people would go somewhere else. Besides if the seller is in china, it may be harder

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

I was also a victim of this ridiculousness. China is flooding the market with all kids of fake SSD's, thumb drives, and SD cards. Recently, I purchased a "1TB" SATA SSD for one of my customers that didn't want to spend over $100 on an SSD. Initially, the SSD  seemed to work, but I was unable to clone a mechanical drive to it that had about 240GB of data on it. As soon as the drive was about 25% full, it slowed down immensely and I couldn't copy any more data to it. The machine booted, but it took upwards of 15 minutes to get to the desktop. Upon further examination, I found that the drive's "model number" was an MZ-76E500, which is a 500GB Samsung Evo 860, but the name on this drive was SAMXNUG as in the photo. My guess is that it's a 240GB drive with an altered, low-quality I/O chip that makes it look like a "1TB" drive to the machine's BIOS. Once 240GB was reached on the drive, it failed shortly afterwards and I was no longer able to read or write to it. There are a number of vendors selling these fake drives, and this has cost me a lot of extra time and effort to buy another drive locally, reinstall the customer's machine, go back to the customer's site and set everything back up, pack up the bad drive, send it back, correspond with the seller. What a mess. . . . IMG_20210926_185727178.jpg

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. Just saved me $49 and a whole lot of bother. Much appreciated!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

Yes I have found that these off-brand SSD's are all just like this one. Spend a few dollars extra and get a real Samsung, a Crucial, a real PNY, or even an Inland Professional. I get them locally now at Micro Center, but still use eBay for parts and other items.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

Exactly as described above, I fell victim to the scam too. I should have checked or searched online first before ordering from an eBay seller going by "magic_zone". I wasted many hours proofing out the SSDs and ended with unreadable backup, corrupted system to require "chkdsk" to repair the SSD, or missing backups etc etc etc all sorts of problems. I tried to contact the seller to resolve the issue. The seller would stall the inquiry to run out the time to return the merchandise for refund. Again, the eBay seller on my case is "Magic_Zone".

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

Sad. And when I reported the seller to eBay for selling fake SSD's, they did NOTHING but return the other half of my money the seller refused to return. He should have been banned but I guess they're more interested in revenue than doing the right thing.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

Zombie thread. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Fake SSD drives

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply