cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dymo 4XL with Vertical Lines

Hello, I just purchased a used "Like New" Dymo LabelWriter 4XL on eBay and after installing software and setting it up...I printed some test pages and I'm getting these blank vertical lines running down the whole length of the label on the left side and through the address section. I would like to fix this problem if possible before returning it. Is there a quick fix for this? I already tried removing the front cover and cleaning the roller/printhead with alcohol but no joy.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You either have something stuck on the print head, some dead print positions, or a problem on the driver board. 

Thoroughly clean the print head again, which is best done with a Dymo Cleaning Card.

Run the printer's built in self-test, by powering down, holding the form feed button, powering up, and release the button.

If problem is in exactly the same spot, it likely then is the print head, but could be a loose connection if you want to look further.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

What intrigues me about this photo is that the border of the defective area is not sharp, like the edges of the printed pixels. One would expect clusters of dead print elements to have sharply-defined borders.

I'm not promising that the print head is fine... it just looks weird to me... more like gunk on the print head than a defective/failed head. I would try a different roll of label stock too, just to rule that out.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I checked for gunk and couldn't find anything that would cause this.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

After numerous e-mails back & forth with Dymo...they came to the conclusion that the print head is defective and they are setting me up for a return for reapir....even though it's out of warranty!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Sounds like a happy ending!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply