cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defective Refurbished Laptop ??

Recently I purchased a seller refurbished Dell laptop from a seller who sells a lot of those units

got a laptop, that had more wear then I expected.

The unit came with a none Dell adapter ,but the unit worked fine.

The laptop kept overheating, I got a cooling pad and compressed air, still the unit and the adapter

got hot.

I contacted the seller and the sent a dell adapter, this time the adapter stayed cool and the unit

got hot. So far great CS.

The canceled my order and provided a return label...FEDEX

I live in a small village without  a Fedex drop off, this would be a 40 mile round trip for me.

I requested to cancel the label and I shipped USPS ground the cheapest solution.

The cost, 22 dollar, I requested a return for some of the money for postage

The excellent CS stopped and no more emails from the company.

I should have paid attention to their FB

Never had a problem like this...What can I do now??

I have not left FB

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I really wish the term "seller refurbished" would be removed/abolished from eBay.

I can go to the Goodwill store, buy a laptop, swab all the nasty finger gunk off with alcohol, wipe the screen down, vacuum the cat hair out of the inside, and say I "refurbished" it.

The word "refurbished" has a meaning in the electronics industry. It means that the unit went back to the manufacturer's facility and every component was tested, just like a newly-manufactured unit, on the same floor where it was originally made. It means that any part that failed to meet spec was replaced, and it almost always means that the unit has a warranty from its original manufacturer. Maybe not as extensive or as long-term as the original warranty, but something.

In short, "refurbished" means a lot more than "cleaned up and checked to see if it boots."

eBay is giving sellers a way to deceive customers by allowing them to use this word in their descriptions. 

I'm sure that some sellers are just as qualified and would back their items up with a warranty of sorts.. but "seller refurbished" does not mean "refurbished."

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Yes, I agree. Buyer beware.

Ebay should have a * with a note on this definition of Refurbished.

A few points guiding the buyer would be helpful.

Asking questioins should be in the star.

Sellers should be requested by eBay to tell how it was refurbished in details, or at least 1-5 score.

A private sale or a business sale would be most helpful. It is harder for private sales because of time, resources, tools, second opinions, etc. Businesses have more resources and can absorbe some of that cost because of volume profits.

Responsiblity belongs on both the seller and the buyer to ask questions and do research.

You know what auctions say about buyer's remorse. There can never be eanough rules to fix all these problems. Moral good character, and honor is a given, and is required by every one, for life to go well.

Some check and balance goes a long way to help.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply