cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese sellers misrepresenting products

Bought an Exell S625PX Silver Oxide battery from what appeared to be an American seller.

I received a Vinnic S1560 with no ther markings. Packing list shows Exell battery. It came from Mel Pearce Cameras, who is not on the listing.

Vinnic website does not even show an S1560.  Exell website does not show an S625PX Silver battery,

I do not know what the battery is that I received. Contacted seller...no response.

I contacted another seller of the same Exell S625PX about whether their item is genuine.  Their response is that they have no idea/control over what their distributor is drop-shipping.

There are many eBay listings for Exell S625PX batteries, all showing the same photo...the bottom of the battery with no markings of any kind to indicate what it is.

Could these all be the same Chinese seller, listing under different names, all misrepresenting what they are selling?

Does eBay know or care about this fraudulent practice? Can they do anything about it?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

repairelectronics
Trailblazer
eBay does care, but there are millions of auctions going on every minute, they can't watch them all. They rely on you to help them sort things out and report the bad ones if necessary, after all, they are just a want-ads venue and sell nothing but ad space like your local newspaper.

Unless you are buying from a Chineses source, then you're on your own, for some odd reason those people are given special options and are beyond reproach.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I'm an electrical engineer. Part of my job is ensuring that components purchased to manufacture products actually come from certified manufacturers. There is a gigantic industry in fake components. In fact, entire factories exist to make phony electronics. Some are so fake, they're just plastic packages with leads in them, and nothing at all inside.

It's almost always a safe bet that electronic components like batteries will be fake if you buy them on eBay; especially if you're dealing with an Asian seller. That's just how it goes. Buy batteries for your flashlights, for your TV remote, stuff like that. Don't use them in your expensive cameras or medical devices or anything you'd miss if it was destroyed by corrosive leaks.

eBay cannot stop this from happening, for two main reasons. One, only certain distributors actually have the ability to trace sources, and there are many legitimate dealers who cannot. And two, eBay does not have the expertise nor the manpower to verify this stuff.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Problem is, Chinese sources, and even Chinese buyers, are hiding behind eBay identities that don't tell who or where they are. I sold something to a buyer whose shipping address was in the USA. When I got a PayPal charge higher than expected, I discovered the buyer's BANK is in China, so I was charged the international buyer fee by PayPal.

eBay ought to be up front about what they do and will not do to remove fakes.
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I'm well aware that the Chinese blatantly fake, counterfeit, mislead and ignore quality standards etc.
I have a problem with eBay not being unable or unwilling to filter sellers or buyers who misrepresent who they are. I sold an item to what looked to be an American buyer...shipping was to Wyoming. Then when I saw a higher-than-normal PayPal fee, it turned out the buyer's BANK was in China. eBay cannot/does not indicate where the financial transaction takes place.
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@nade4285 wrote:
I'm well aware that the Chinese blatantly fake, counterfeit, mislead and ignore quality standards etc.
I have a problem with eBay not being unable or unwilling to filter sellers or buyers who misrepresent who they are. I sold an item to what looked to be an American buyer...shipping was to Wyoming. Then when I saw a higher-than-normal PayPal fee, it turned out the buyer's BANK was in China. eBay cannot/does not indicate where the financial transaction takes place.

This is, of course, an entirely different issue. eBay allows you to choose the destinations you'll ship to, but not the countries you'll accept payment from. That's a PayPal issue, and I really doubt that you have the freedom to accept PayPal US but not PayPal China.

WRT the misrepresentation... remember, it's not "the Chinese" who are perpetrating this scam... it just happens that most of them are found in Asia. Nearly all of the legitimate products are manufactured in China too!

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I just got a POS product sold by a Chinese seller but it came from Kyrgyzstan "forwarded by Clevy" on the package.

It's not worth saving a few bucks to get pure **bleep** that arrives two months after you order it.

I've had multiple problems with Chinese sellers and unbelievably long waits for stuff from

Russia and Thailand. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I am surprised that this thread is not much, much, much longer than it is. Even sellers who ship from a US stockpile seem to be Asian with poor and  misleading descriptions written in Chinglish and of course, selling Chinese products. Been on Ebay for about 2 months now and already disgusted.  The feedback must be mostly fake or else Americans are now idiots that don't know what quality means and don't care when they are being lied too and ripped off. Ebays software interface sucks and you can't tell what what you are really buying. I still can't figure out how to actually review products. It seems that many sellers must not allow reviews because they say they have sold hundreds or thousands and yet there are no reviews. I am going to start using this as a standard; if there are no reviews after selling so many I am going to consider the whole listing to be junk and, indeed, the seller as a con artist.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Go into any local store and pick up any product off of a shelf. There's a very high likelihood that it's a cheap Asian-made substitute of a more expensive product. But that more-expensive product may be Asian-made too. 

Some people want to buy quality.  Most don't care, or can't see the difference. It's really consumers' fault, not eBay's, that a market exists for this junk.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I definitely agree wit that
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

That's y I'm here now, except mine is over what was adverted as an "officially licenced Microsoft cordless controller" for xbox 360. What I got was a flimsy generic piece of junk that wouldn't even connect to my Xbox! And now I'm forced by ebay to wait for at least a week to even get a freaking reply from these crooks! When they shouldn't even be allowed to respond in any way and should immediately removed from the site!
Idc if they Will be back later under a new name, at least they are gone for a short time and have to work to get back on
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@timmy_ray2 wrote:
That's y I'm here now, except mine is over what was adverted as an "officially licenced Microsoft cordless controller" for xbox 360. What I got was a flimsy generic piece of junk that wouldn't even connect to my Xbox! And now I'm forced by ebay to wait for at least a week to even get a freaking reply from these crooks! When they shouldn't even be allowed to respond in any way and should immediately removed from the site!
Idc if they Will be back later under a new name, at least they are gone for a short time and have to work to get back on

eBay did not force you to buy anything, terms and agreements were signed when you made yourself avail... craigslist, want ads, angies list all have the same retard disclaimer.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

One problem with trying to avoid foreign frauds from overseas is that now they have shipping warehouses in the US... so when you check "US only" their items still pop up. I use to assume US sellers could understand your questions and give a coherent response to you. Now sometimes I get responses from "US sellers" that are obvious google translations, don't answer my question and almost seem like they are coming from a bot. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I've noticed that too.  One of my big bugbears is also that Chinese sellers deliberately mis-describe their products.  If I'm searching for something that, for example, is genuine leather hundreds of items come up with "leather" in the title but "pu"  in the description (and that's even when I specifically select leather from the options.

I don't want to trawl through these listings and, you're right, they do turn up even when you specify your home country or europe.

Of course eBay doesn't care. 

I used to shop on here regularly - now I prefer to go elsewhere.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

That is not the only product they are misrepresenting! I have been having the same problem with  RCA plugs . I bought a lot of 10 ' rca  male plugs then recieved  Female wall wart plug adapters. I ordered a second batch fro someone who claimed to be in the US and got Exactly the same thing , even had the same Lot number. EBAy is just letting it happen. Like a sanctuary selling site!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply