cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese cell phone hacked

I have had strange things happen since I have starting using my HTC M8 phone I bought from a Chinese seller, such as freezing and lagging while performing basic function such as typing texts.

I recently had a notice informing me that an update was ready, and when I downloaded it, it wouldn t install and the message said something to the effect that the operating system had been tampered with. Today (Oct.15,2017) I tried to start up a banking app for the first time and I had a message from the bank SPECIFICALLY warning me that my device has had unauthorized modifications to the operating system and of course I should not try to compromise my security. 

I am in the process of changing all of my passwords for everything I have ever used on this phone and I have no idea of what may happen in the future - does someone in China now have all of my personal info? Pictures of my children? My location? This is pretty serious and I hope eBay thinks so as well. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I would try doing a master reset to see what happens, but at the same time I would be more worried about tracking devises installed, my wanna ask you carrier to check it out or a local phone store to run safety checks to ensuring phone is safe....good luk...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

thanks for notifing everybody

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I bought a LG from a Chinese dealer on ebay and it died in less than 3 months.  I figured it had a 1 year guarantee and contacted LG, they at first said yes, sent me a FedEX shipping label and ehen they got the phone decided it was a knock off and won't fix it.  I'm seeing on the discussion boards people are having trouble with the Chinese sales and phones.  I can't figure out why if they are selling knock off LG phones or other brands, why aren't the manufacturers doing something about it.  I saw when I got screwed by bestphones4u he had sold dozens and had 10 more at the time.  So my advice is if buying from a Chinese seller beware and if from LG don't.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

These scams unreal... bad buisness. omg

Message 5 of 5
latest reply