cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE of COUNTERFEIT ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS BEING SOLD BY SELLERS FROM FLORIDA

Beware of the fake electrolytic capacitors being sold by several sellers from Florida! I believe that they are all the same sell using multiple accounts.

They have a very high positive feedback rating but is is also a false impression, I know this as fact as I was a victim myself of these fraudsters and I am a veteran of over 50 years in the electronics design and service industry.

Here is how this scam works:

The sellers list well known name brand capacitors with a good reputation, brands like Nichicon, Rubycon and Cornel-Dublier, (there may be others but these I know for sure), at a great price with free shipping.

They are usually listed as a quantity of 2 and there are multiple quantities available always.

In the description they are listed New, and this next points are where I should have been more alert, country of origin "unknown", upc does not apply and no manufacturers part number!

The capacitors arrive, they look good and you install them, power up the gear and it works, (for awhile at least more details to follow), and you leave positive feedback and all is believed to be OK.

A short time later, usually 30 to 60 days later, the bogus counterfeit caps fail and you get the gear back in your service department, open it up and find that the new caps you just install have ALL failed, (in my particular situation this happened with 3 different customers all with 4 caps per unit) and I offer a 90 day parts and labor warranty on all repairs so the entire cost is mine to bear, a total of 12 Nichicon labeled counterfeit capacitors.

And to add another insult to me, I had already left + feedback for this seller like thousands of others only to realize too late I had been taken and there is no way to modify the feedback so this scam artist seller keeps on getting + ratings by SUCKERS LIKE ME and their reputations continue to grow and more people buy from them and the same scenario keeps on going on and on and on and and more buyers are continuing to be ripped of and their money STOLEN!!!

JUST LIKE ME!

But is anything being done to stop it?

Not yet anyway, only time will tell and others keep in getting ripped off and eBay keeps on collecting fees....

I ordered genuine Nichicon's from my usual distributor and when they arrived, the differences were obvious.

The genuine items have a slightly different can style, they are marked Japan, have a + sign stamped in the positive side lug and have a part number on them.

The bogus Nichicon's I got had no date code, no part number, no country of origin, and the lugs had no markings except the tooling marking where the lugs were attached which can be seen it the photo of the sellers latest batch of bogus junk being sold as Rubycon.

Interestingly the "Rubycon" capacitors now being offered are IDENTICAL in every way to the "Nichicon" capacitors I purchased, even the listing is IDENTICAL in every way and every word except the brand name and the photo is the same capacitor but with a red Rubycon plastic sheath instead of the black Nichicon covering, right down to the exact same tooling on the terminal lugs that can be clearly seen in the photo provided in ALL of the listings by these sellers.

I have notified eBay, they stated that they are starting an investigation, I have offered my technical expertise and I have kept samples of the fakes.

I have also notified the Federal Government, I have reached out to my distributor, and all three of the manufactures involved that I am aware of and I hopefully will be working in concert with them.

I also went through Paypal and sent the seller a message that I am aware of the fact that they are counterfeits and I am going to make waves and within 3 MINUTES, I had a full refund, yes, I said 3 MINUTES!!! THAT FACT ALONE SPEAKS VOLUMES!!!

So there you have it, multiple cases of counterfeit Chinese made junk items, multiple cases of fraud and deceit and thousands of dollars being stolen from hard working Americans by counterfeiters posing as good sellers on eBay, kind of makes you wonder how eBay has gotten the nickname "evilbay" on most hobbyist  websites and tech forums for electronics and automotive enthusiast's.

I have stated my opinions and I have the facts, expertise and the evidence, now it is up to eBay and the appropriate authorities to do something about it and I will help in anyway possible.

Thank you

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0