cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

antique bisque head doll number 4 on neck no other marks? help identify?

Hello all!  This dolly used to be my grandmother's when she was a little girl.  It actually looks like her!  Anyway, beautiful doll with open mouth, 2 teeth showing, and sleepy eyes (they close when she lies back).  No marks except a 4 on neck.  The head is bisque?  I think, and maybe the arms too? but rest of body may be composition?  It appears to have wiring holding arms/legs in.  I would love to know the maker and maybe approx value of this doll.  Any help appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

What a lovely doll! You are very lucky to have such a treasure from your Grandmother.

This is not going to be of much help to you, but the #4 is likely a size rather than a makers mold number. It sits rather low on the neck, and so there may well be additional infomaton molded up higher. If her wig is tightly glued you may risk damaging her bisque if you try to pry it up, so unless you planned to sell her I don't think I would. If it is important to you, the glue can usually be softened by dampening a washcloth and leaving it on the glue line for a bit. Her body is composition, and so it would be important to keep that dry. She has some damage that woul affect her value, specifically the small eye chip, but she is quite darling!

Photobucket
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you so much!  Yes someone else told me to look under the wig but it is pretty tightly glued/attached so I am afraid to do that.  She is lovely right?!  I currently am not sure whether to sell her or not, not going to at the moment anyway, but I just wanted to know who made her as someone told me it could be a German head.  : )

Message 3 of 3
latest reply