cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any ideas about this pattern and /or age ?

I got this small decanter a while ago and was wondering if anyone recognizes this pattern.  I  think it might be EAPG as I don;t think it is cut glass since the notches are smooth, not cut.  The decanter is about 5.5 inches high without the stopper and the bottom is 3" in diameter. Just under 8" incl the stopper. Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

winstonfremont  aka Christine2016-10-20 13.05.04-2.jpg2016-10-20 13.05.12.jpg2016-10-20 13.05.13.jpg2016-10-20 13.05.16.jpg2016-10-20 13.05.20.jpg2016-10-20 13.05.22.jpg2016-10-20 13.05.28.jpg

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Can't tell you much.  It is a mold blown container and a lot of these were not big production items.  The pattern seems to be a variant of "ladders" .  See Tarentum ladders pattern EAPG and you'll see why I think it might be someone's idea of a pattern similar to that.  Someone will probably correct me, and I always appreciate learning, but it seems to me a lot of mold blown pcs. just didn't conform with the standard EAPG production patterns.  Having said that though, some forms didn't seem to conform well to poured molds and we see a lot of "CRUETS" for example that were mold blown in stead of being poured.  Nobody has ever explained that to me.  This piece might have been produced by a smaller glass house who created thier own mold and hence it has a certain uniqueness.  It is EAPG because a mold was employed in moving it from a free form blob of glass to an exact and specific shape.  Dating it is pretty hard for me to do with  any degree of confidence, but my guess would be in the 70's or 80's.  The stopper throws me a bit for it being any earlier.  Not sure this was of any help but maybe it will start a conversation.  This is one of those pieces that sometimes invites conjecture.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the input.  I think you are right...just was really curious if anyone knew anything about it and the Ladder info is helpful.  will do a little looking with that helpful hint.  Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving!

Christine

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Your next to last picture just really reminds me alot of Tarentum's ladders pattern.  The other pictures not so much.  *shrug*  well we try.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

the pattern is "zipper". a zipper bottle/decanter/perfume etc.. would have had a matching "zipper" pattern stopper, so the stopper on yours not original to the bottom. the height and diameter of the bottle would tell you what it was used for. would say, at this point, that the bottlemight be a reproduction of one of the many "zipper" patterns, originally made by numerous companies in the early 20th century. (pre ww1). the Zipper Cruet set shown here is authentic 🙂

https://www.google.com/search?q=eapg+zipper+pattern&biw=1088&bih=483&tbm=isch&imgil=kg6ukboCBq-BMM%2...

Message 5 of 5
latest reply