cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID Yellow Vaseline Glass Candlestick

Hello, Glassies,

I have a piece of yellow Vaseline Glass that I hope somebody can identify for me. This is a candlestick. It's broken, but still looks nice. It stands about 4.75 inches tall, with a base which is approximately 3 in. in diameter. The three flares that come outward from just below the candle holder add about .25 inches to the width at the candlestick's widest part. It first made me think of Imperial Glass Company's Candlewick pattern. But, I'm not sure. If anyone knows the pattern, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to find your candlestick in Felt & Stoer's Candlestick books. You may want to try the Facebook Candlestick group and see if they can help. https://www.facebook.com/groups/608717035937941/
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

A nice find.  Very unusual.. are you sure it is a candle stick? 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you. I agree--thought it was exquisite. Almost looks Victorian era to me, but the color suggests that idea is contrary to what we know about production of colored glass.

In response to your question, I suppose it could be something else, but I have no idea what that might otherwise be. By all appearances it is a candlestick, anyway.  It's certainly not an epergne or other vase. And, as to being an egg cup, that just doesn't fit with those I've seen.

Your suggestion leaves me wondering, of course, if you have some ideas about what it could be. With that said, I'm open to suggestions, just the same.

I'm no expert by any means. I only caught the "glass bug" about 15 years ago, and these days, I am challenged with keeping the dust from settling on the 'treasures' I've been fortunate to find over the years. (I'll bet some of you know exactly what I mean about settling dust... and too many items to keep clean.)

While I'd love to have it in my collection, green is more my color. I have only a few pieces of yellow/vaseline glass. In fact, it belongs to a friend, who received it from her mother.

I mentioned it was broken, apparently the result of thieves who took things from her mother's storage unit and obviously had little interest in it. I guess, for this, we could almost be thankful for those dimwit criminals!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Darn it! I hate to hear that. However, thank you kindly for taking the trouble to search through your collectors books---and for posting your helpful reply.

Maybe it is a piece from abroad, or perhaps even by chance something that collectors have not yet cataloged.

I'm not familiar with your reference books, but your post strikes me as having the implication that these works should be considerable among the definitive guides to such items.

So, taking this into mind, I suppose it may be necessary to relinquish the hope for an ID--particularly if those who are a part of the specialty discussion board your post suggested should also be unable to point fingers at a possible pattern and maker.  Shucks!

All the same, thank you, again, for your post and suggestions. I'll pass the information along. Have a good evening. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Here is a pair of them, but no i.d. They ARE called candlesticks, though.

bb

https://www.google.com/search?q=vaseline+glass+candlestick&client=firefox-b-1&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=...:

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for confirming that this is a candlestick. My ideas about what some of the miscellaneous pieces that we find from back then may not always be on par with what they are. I appreciate your sharing of the link. That's definitely what I have. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an ID in case one comes along. Have a great day!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply