cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do customer service people mark answers as helpful from other customer service people?

I posted a question today and noticed helpful was being marked very quickly by others.  When I looked into that, I discovered it's actually other customer service people marking it as helpful.  That's very misleading, inflates counts accredited to responders, etc.  The customer that posted the question or other customers that benefit from the answer are the ones that should be determining if an answer was helpful.

I work in IT.  I never close a ticket because a coworker thinks I did a good job.  I contact the customer to ensure they feel I did a good job.  That's the only way to determine if you are truly helping the intended target.

Please let us, the customers know, why other service reps mark answers as helpful versus just customers (buyers and sellers)?  Can we see what the actual customer helpful count is for each service rep minus the counts added by other service reps?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Why do customer service people mark answers as helpful from other customer service people?

@meezer2_5 wrote:

I posted a question today and noticed helpful was being marked very quickly by others.  When I looked into that, helpI discovered it's actually other customer service people marking it as helpful.  That's very misleading, inflates counts accredited to responders, etc.  The customer that posted the question or other customers that benefit from the answer are the ones that should be determining if an answer was helpful.

I work in IT.  I never close a ticket because a coworker thinks I did a good job.  I contact the customer to ensure they feel I did a good job.  That's the only way to determine if you are truly helping the intended target.

Please let us, the customers know, why other service reps mark answers as helpful versus just customers (buyers and sellers)?  Can we see what the actual customer helpful count is for each service rep minus the counts added by other service reps?

Hello, @meezer2_5  You asked your question through the Member to Member board which is staffed by other eBay members, i.e. buyers and sellers, that have been prequalified to answer questions.  They are not part of eBay's Customer Service Department.

The "thankfuls", formally known as "kudos" are available to everyone reading the post...it is more of a "good job" or "I agree" accolade.  Each OP (original poster) is able to use the "Accept as Solution" option which marks that particular post with a green check signifying that the OP (original poster) accepts that answer.

The Member to Member board is best suited to specific questions and not general discussion/opinion statements such as yours.  You will have a better chance of having an in-depth discussion by posting your opinion about the MBG on one of the Discussion Boards ~ try the Bidding and Buying Board:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/bd-p/bidding-buying-db

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

FWIW, there ebay employees on the boards who DO mark responses "helpful". They aren't customer service reps though 🙂

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Ah, thanks for straightening me out.  :Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
latest reply