cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can a poster do when a question is not acknowledged in weekly community chat

I posted here because there is no ability to post in the locked weekly community chat.

I know sometimes a question is missed and all questions can not be answered in the 1 hour given to post. Usually, there is an acknowledgment that the question is being forwarded to the appropriate team for an answer. 

So do I have to wait a whole week to post the question again?

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

What can a poster do when a question is not acknowledged in weekly community chat

Probably, but I would imagine not every question submitted during Chat can be answered, not even with a referral to the proper department.  I doubt an immediate answer is always possible, and that does not mean that anyone missed the question or is falling down on the job.  It may simply mean time is needed.  They may need to be allowed some processing time, especially if one has submitted many questions during Chat, in the interest of fairness to all, as well.  You know the old saying, Rome wasn't built in a day.  Just some thoughts, hope this helps.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

I don't think there is a Chat scheduled for today; possibly because the Spring Seller Update dropped yesterday.  So you will need to wait longer than a week.

Their workload will be heavy dealing with questions regarding the Spring Seller Update and that may carry over to the next Chat, as I believe that will take precedence for awhile.  

I am sure they will appreciate your patience and understanding due to the circumstances.  

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

@castlemagicmemorieswrote:

Probably, but I would imagine not every question submitted during Chat can be answered, not even with a referral to the proper department.  I doubt an immediate answer is always possible, and that does not mean that anyone missed the question or is falling down on the job.  It may simply mean time is needed.  They may need to be allowed some processing time, especially if one has submitted many questions during Chat, in the interest of fairness to all, as well.  You know the old saying, Rome wasn't built in a day.  Just some thoughts, hope this helps.

Usually, they post an answer or if they cant they post they say it will be forwarded to the appropriate team. Without 1 of those 2 scenarios then they have missed the question or did not have an answer and did not address the question. So we have to be persistent and ask the same question again.

When they forward info to the appropriate team  I try to follow up the following week. I think 1 week would be enough time to receive a return answer from the appropriate department. 

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 4 of 30
latest reply

I understand that you feel that way.  But that is what I was saying, they may not have an answer~it does not mean they missed the question.  I realize that at times, they have an answer or say they will forward it to the appropriate team, but again, that is not always the case.

While you may think a week turn around time is sufficient, I doubt that is sufficient time.  From my experience and my observations, plus the fact that these other departments have other agendas, expecting an answer in just a week is probably not going to happen.  I have found the Blues to be very responsive, just not in that time frame.   

With all due respect, please don't set yourself up for frustration and upset by imposing such a rigid deadline and timetable for their response.  I understand you want to follow up and you have concerns that you are passionate about.  I get that, truly.  But I have noticed that when people constantly bring things forward very quickly, the response is they have not heard back yet.  We can't force others to our timetable, they are not our adversaries, and we can respectfully give them some space to work and work with them, not against them.

Just my thoughts.  YMMV

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

What does it tell you that you and me are the only ones commenting on this issue? 

This is the place to ask the ebay community team questions and express concerns. 

Another poster to this board with unanswered issues is so frustrated that they may stop posting altogether.

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 6 of 30
latest reply

@mallontownwrote:

What does it tell you that you and me are the only ones commenting on this issue? 

This is the place to ask the ebay community team questions and express concerns. 

Another poster to this board with unanswered issues is so frustrated that they may stop posting altogether.

I undestand.  You want some answers which are not forthcoming at this time.  That is frustrating no doubt. I am truly sorry to see your concern.  I understand your persistence and follow up as you would like to see things resolved.  

Just an observation, though~and I am not an Ebay employee, nor have I drunk the Kool Aid~LOL~but you brought forth a lot of concerns in that Chat.   I don't recall what each of them was, but there were a lot.  It seemed overwhelming to see so many issues at one time.  Not saying this is the case, but if it seemed that way to me, it may have seemed that way to the Blues.  They may have felt like they were being hammered.  They are only human.  That may have shut them down.  I don't know, this is just speculation, and while everyone in the Community is important to them, they are not our slaves and I believe they have the latitude to act as they feel appropriate to the situation.  We can't force anything.  While they are happy to help, they have many other duties.  Sometimes we can turn someone off by our way of presenting things, no offense to you.  And if we perenially have issues, that mutes our voice, I would think.  Our credibility lessens because we become known for having problems all the time.  Again, just my thoughts, no offense to you or that other poster you mention.  

Another thing is the timing.  It was just before the Spring Seller Update dropped.  They are dealing with the fall out from that this week, which I believe would account for no Chat this week.  

I am aware of that poster's frustration and with all due respect to her and to you, that poster has been leaving for at least the past three years if not longer.

They ran a siggie that said they were leaving the Boards for about a year and a half, if not two or more, posters commented that perhaps she needed to change it as she was still here, and eventually she did.  That poster also claims to be on over a hundred Boards and this is the worst one, which begs the question, why do what makes you so unhappy?  No offense, but sometimes we choose our unhappiness by doing what makes us unhappy or having unrealistic expectations when we try to control things that are beyond our control.   I hope you aren't doing that, mallontown.  Our only control is over ourselves.  We can only do our best as Community members, and take what we don't like with a grain of salt sometimes.  If these Boards are so offensive and so incompetent and poorly constructed, then we have the choice and the free will to not leave them~but constantly banging our head against the wall and demanding things our way won't cut it and will just make us unhappier.  Constantly berating the Team because of features you don't like or can't control is fruitless.   Maybe express regret for the multitude of issues you brought forth in Chat, and that you did not intend to overwhelm or hammer them, but that you hope they will consider these valid concerns, and that you hope to hear from them.  Just my thoughts, of course, that is up to you.  Sometimes we can't see that the actions we think are innocent, justifiable, and logical may come across very differently to others.

Someone once said that we cannot control our circumstances or situations around us, but we can control our response or reaction to them.  IOW we can chose to make ourselves miserable.  I'm not saying not to bring things forward, just don't make it hard on the Blues or on yourselves.  I feel for both you and for her, and wish you happiness in the future.

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Just want to add~OP~I think you are a mover and a shaker.  A person who get things done when she puts her mind to it.  That is a good thing!

But that can feed our frustration when things don't move according to plan.

Please don't feed your frustration.

Shake it off and let it go.  For your own sake.

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

Ran out of edit time, sorry.  Need to correct an error.

@mallontownwrote:

I undestand.  You want some answers which are not forthcoming at this time.  That is frustrating no doubt. I am truly sorry to see your concern.  I understand your persistence and follow up as you would like to see things resolved.  

Just an observation, though~and I am not an Ebay employee, nor have I drunk the Kool Aid~LOL~but you brought forth a lot of concerns in that Chat.   I don't recall what each of them was, but there were a lot.  It seemed overwhelming to see so many issues at one time.  Not saying this is the case, but if it seemed that way to me, it may have seemed that way to the Blues.  They may have felt like they were being hammered.  They are only human.  That may have shut them down.  I don't know, this is just speculation, and while everyone in the Community is important to them, they are not our slaves and I believe they have the latitude to act as they feel appropriate to the situation.  We can't force anything.  While they are happy to help, they have many other duties.  Sometimes we can turn someone off by our way of presenting things, no offense to you.  And if we perenially have issues, that mutes our voice, I would think.  Our credibility lessens because we become known for having problems all the time.  Again, just my thoughts, no offense to you or that other poster you mention.  

Another thing is the timing.  It was just before the Spring Seller Update dropped.  They are dealing with the fall out from that this week, which I believe would account for no Chat this week.  

I am aware of that poster's frustration and with all due respect to her and to you, that poster has been leaving for at least the past three years if not longer.

They ran a siggie that said they were leaving the Boards for about a year and a half, if not two or more, posters commented that perhaps she needed to change it as she was still here, and eventually she did.  That poster also claims to be on over a hundred Boards and this is the worst one, which begs the question, why do what makes you so unhappy?  No offense, but sometimes we choose our unhappiness by doing what makes us unhappy or having unrealistic expectations when we try to control things that are beyond our control.   I hope you aren't doing that, mallontown.  Our only control is over ourselves.  We can only do our best as Community members, and take what we don't like with a grain of salt sometimes.  If these Boards are so offensive and so incompetent and poorly constructed, then we have the choice and the free will to not use them or post~we can just leave them~but constantly banging our head against the wall and demanding things our way won't cut it and will just make us unhappier.  Constantly berating the Team because of features you don't like or can't control is fruitless.   Maybe express regret for the multitude of issues you brought forth in Chat, and that you did not intend to overwhelm or hammer them, but that you hope they will consider these valid concerns, and that you hope to hear from them.  Just my thoughts, of course, that is up to you.  Sometimes we can't see that the actions we think are innocent, justifiable, and logical may come across very differently to others.

Someone once said that we cannot control our circumstances or situations around us, but we can control our response or reaction to them.  IOW we can chose to make ourselves miserable.  I'm not saying not to bring things forward, just don't make it hard on the Blues or on yourselves.  I feel for both you and for her, and wish you happiness in the future.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@mallontownwrote:

They ran a siggie that said they were leaving the Boards for about a year and a half, if not two or more, posters commented that perhaps she needed to change it as she was still here, and eventually she did.  That poster also claims to be on over a hundred Boards and this is the worst one, which begs the question, why do what makes you so unhappy?  No offense, but sometimes we choose our unhappiness by doing what makes us unhappy or having unrealistic expectations when we try to control things that are beyond our control.   I hope you aren't doing that, mallontown.  Our only control is over ourselves.  We can only do our best as Community members, and take what we don't like with a grain of salt sometimes.  If these Boards are so offensive and so incompetent and poorly constructed, then we have the choice and the free will to not leave them~but constantly banging our head against the wall and demanding things our way won't cut it and will just make us unhappier.  Constantly berating the Team because of features you don't like or can't control is fruitless.   Maybe express regret for the multitude of issues you brought forth in Chat, and that you did not intend to overwhelm or hammer them, but that you hope they will consider these valid concerns, and that you hope to hear from them.  Just my thoughts, of course, that is up to you.  Sometimes we can't see that the actions we think are innocent, justifiable, and logical may come across very differently to others.

So there are a lot of assumptions in here and many "no offense to you" quotes in your reply castlemagicmemories.  Issues usually are not perennial as you state but if one was it is our rights as a customer to ask about it. I don't berate the team or bang my head against a wall and telling me to express regret for helping the community by posting the hard questions I will not do.  Asking questions does not mute the communities voice, the only thing that can do that is being quiet and not asking questions.  Ebay invites us to answer questions.

Here is the basic template on weekly chat

Hi Community,

Please join The Community Team here today at 1 pm PT for a Q&A Community Chat. We don't have a set topic today, so please come prepared with your buying & selling questions."

It says to come prepared with your buying & selling questions. It does not say your top 5 or top 3 or set any limit. So I come prepared with questions and when they are not addressed or unanswered I ask again. I'm not sure why you think its overwhelming as Customer services job is to represent the company and answer its customer's questions. Most CSR's do this for the whole work week, some CSR's may have other obligations and only do it part of the time.  All I know is that the title tells me to ask questions and I do and I think they are important and I think other ebay users also think the questions I ask are important.  I don't think 1 hour out of a 168 hour week for questions to multiple Ebay staff members is overwhelming. If it was overwhelming don't you think a huge company like ebay would dedicate some more of their massive resources by adding members to the team? Perhaps another voice with a different perspective on that team would help. 

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@mallontown Just curious...why have you chosen to use the same signature as the eBay community team, and what does nana-nana-boo-boo mean? 

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 11 of 30
latest reply

@mallontownwrote:

@mallontownwrote:

So there are a lot of assumptions in here and many "no offense to you" quotes in your reply castlemagicmemories.  Issues usually are not perennial as you state but if one was it is our rights as a customer to ask about it. I don't berate the team or bang my head against a wall and telling me to express regret for helping the community by posting the hard questions I will not do.  Asking questions does not mute the communities voice, the only thing that can do that is being quiet and not asking questions.  Ebay invites us to answer questions.

Yes, there are a lot of assumptions in there, because I am not a Blue and can't answer for them.  I can only go by what I see, and I saw many issues brought forth by you in that Chat, so I was just speculating as to what the issues might be~answering other's questions who did not bring forth multiple issues, the timing of Chat being just before the Spring Update drop, etc.  I meant no disrespect to you, mallontown, or the Blues, it was just my perception that they might have felt hammered.  I do think that if a poster continually has issues, and that is just my perception, that their voice is muted because of the feeling on ineffectiveness~when other issues constantly take its place.  

That's ok if you don't choose to express regret for bringing forth so many issues, it was just a suggestion and I don't try to control others.  I totally understand and give them room to choose their own path.  Again, it was just a suggestion; I believe I prefaced it with "Maybe".  What I would do and what you would do in the same circumstances are two different things, and we can agree to disagree.  I was just trying to help you get the answers you crave.

Here is the basic template on weekly chat

Hi Community,

Please join The Community Team here today at 1 pm PT for a Q&A Community Chat. We don't have a set topic today, so please come prepared with your buying & selling questions."

It says to come prepared with your buying & selling questions. It does not say your top 5 or top 3 or set any limit. So I come prepared with questions and when they are not addressed or unanswered I ask again. I'm not sure why you think its overwhelming as Customer services job is to represent the company and answer its customer's questions. Most CSR's do this for the whole work week, some CSR's may have other obligations and only do it part of the time.  All I know is that the title tells me to ask questions and I do and I think they are important and I think other ebay users also think the questions I ask are important.  I don't think 1 hour out of a 168 hour week for questions to multiple Ebay staff members is overwhelming. If it was overwhelming don't you think a huge company like ebay would dedicate some more of their massive resources by adding members to the team? Perhaps another voice with a different perspective on that team would help. 

mallontown, I never said your questions were not important.  I simply don't recall what they were.  I am sorry if you took that point away from what I said as the was never intended.  I am confident that others think your questions are important as well.  But with all due respect, they don't work 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week for a total of 168 hrs.  Standard work week is 40 hrs, not 168.  How could it be?  They have to eat, sleep, and attend to personal needs.  As for dedicating another person, like most companies, they do that when they feel the need is there.  I doubt that Ebay is any different but I could be wrong.  The Blues handle a myriad of other duties, not just Chat.  Not downplaying the importance of fact, just saying that they also have other responsibilities.

I am well aware that they say to come prepared with your buying and selling questions.  I have admired the occasions you have posted a thread asking anyone to submit their questions to you for Chat if they were unable to attend.  Very impressive.  

I apologize for the berate the team or beat your head against the wall remark if it offended you and you feel it is not applicable.  There are situations, however, that I have read where this is applicable.  That comment was meant to indicate the frustration I see from this thread and another poster, as you referred to someone who might stop posting due to lack of response.  I don't want to offend either you or that other poster.  You have your own perspectives; that is your right and we can agree to disagree.  

I felt for you and that other poster because of your frustration and just hoped that another perspective would help.  As you say, perhaps another perspective would help, and while I am not a Blue or on the Team, that was all I was trying to provide~a perspective that might help.  

Carry on.

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

With all due respect, I went back and reread Chat.  I found many posts with multiple questions in them, and it seemed to me that there were an equal number of responses from various members of the Blue Team to you, but I suppose it is possible they overlooked a question amongst all the others.

My observation was that they did a magnificent job with all of your questions, but again, it is possible one escaped their notice.  It could also be that the question involved information that may be inappropriate to divulge.  In any event, neither you nor I know, so it seems you will have to wait until the next Chat to bring it forward again.  Sorry.

Wishing you all the best.

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

With all due respect, I went back and reread Chat.  I found many posts with multiple questions in them, and it seemed to me that there were an equal number of responses from various members of the Blue Team to you, but I suppose it is possible they overlooked a question amongst all the others.

My observation was that they did a magnificent job with all of your questions, but again, it is possible one escaped their notice.  It could also be that the question involved information that may be inappropriate to divulge.  In any event, neither you nor I know, so it seems you will have to wait until the next Chat to bring it forward again.  Sorry.

Wishing you all the best.

Heres one that has been "missed" for multiple weeks now including last chat

Thanks for allowing sellers to ask questions on this forum
I previously asked this question but it was not answered last week so I am reposting it .
Devin Wenig said "In the US a package is delivered average in 2 days, for ebay"
I asked where is this information coming from.

For this to be true packages would have to arrive between 1.5 days and 2.49 days
So can anyone share and answer the question about where Mr. Wenig is getting his 2-day Average information from? 

Heres another one that has been missed in the last chat.

Promotions banners moved to the bottom of listings with no notice to sellers. Ebay said the reason was "initial testing showed an increase in sales when promotional information was moved below the description". I can't believe that moving to the bottom would increase sales and that other factors caused that increase.

Can you get back to us and let us know if further testing (hopefully that is happening) continues to show improved sales?
Can we see any of the data?

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 14 of 30
latest reply

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I think I read recently that the promotion banner is back at the top, so maybe that question was viewed as a moot point.

As for the statement from Mr Wenig, it may be considered inappropriate to question the CEO where he got his data from that backs up that statement.  Just supposition on my part.  

Wishing you all the best, mallontown.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply