cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STOP MOVING THREADS WITH NO BREADCRUMBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I'm yelling at Lithium mods and Ebay community people. Stop moving threads to STUPID GROUPS that are IMPOSSIBLE to find without leaving a breadcrumb trail in the original board you moved it from!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

STOP MOVING THREADS WITH NO BREADCRUMBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi @readabouthorses,

I appreciate that this is frustrating, but there isn't a need to shout. 

We're sorry that this happened, it should not happen. I'll follow up with the moderation team and ensure coaching is provided. 

Do you happen to have a link to a topic that was moved without a placeholder being left? That would be very helpful for us. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

This isn't the first time this has happened. They are doing it all the time. Threads just disappear with no trace and if it wasn't a thread that I had posted in then it is gone forever because those Groups are a terrible mess. Plowing down through all of them takes forever.

I don't have the link handy right now. It got moved to one of those Soapboxes, Chats, Ebay Friends, etc etc Groups.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for the info. Do you remember the name of the topic? If you've replied to it, you'll be able to find links to it on your profile page. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

This was the thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/I-AM-ANGRY/m-p/28121533#M1148982

It was moved from the Selling board to the Town Square Group without a notification ...and then back to the Selling Board...and now it has been locked and moved back to the Town Square with a proper notice!

alan@ebay ~ As has been stated " because those Groups are a terrible mess. Plowing down through all of them takes forever." ~  Since this topic has been raised once again, I can't resist the opportunity to ask about the progress of redoing the Groups Menu so the former Board Groups, such as Town Square, Soapbox, Part Time Sellers and several very useful "category" boards such as Pottery & Glass be moved away from the groups menu started by individuals...and placed in an easy to find area of their own.

Just checked and 95% of the groups started by individuals have been abandoned and should be eliminated from the menu, imo.  

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Perhaps if people would start posting politically based threads on the right boards to begin with?  That one never should have been on Selling.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

This was the thread:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/I-AM-ANGRY/m-p/28121533#M1148982

It was moved from the Selling board to the Town Square Group without a notification ...and then back to the Selling Board...and now it has been locked and moved back to the Town Square with a proper notice!

alan@ebay ~ As has been stated " because those Groups are a terrible mess. Plowing down through all of them takes forever." ~  Since this topic has been raised once again, I can't resist the opportunity to ask about the progress of redoing the Groups Menu so the former Board Groups, such as Town Square, Soapbox, Part Time Sellers and several very useful "category" boards such as Pottery & Glass be moved away from the groups menu started by individuals...and placed in an easy to find area of their own.

Just checked and 95% of the groups started by individuals have been abandoned and should be eliminated from the menu, imo.  

Thanks for the info, @hidy-hoo

We haven't started work on Groups yet. We're currently building some new and well overdue custom pages for the Community - they should go-live in the next few weeks. After that, we can shift our focus to other things on our to-do list. I do want to tackle Groups soon as it is an area that has been neglected. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

That one never should have been on Selling.

Agreed!

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:
@chrysylys wrote:

Agreed!

alan@ebay  ...yup, me too, which justifies the importance of having a Groups Directory/Menu that is easy to navigate and clearly states what should be posted in that particular Group or area.  Discussion areas for off-topic posts is vitally important for a well rounded and healthy Community as well as the ability to find important information/answers regarding category specific questions which is why I have suggested pulling the once thriving downgraded boards that are now groups into their own eBay sanctioned groups as opposed to the 150 plus groups started by individuals, most of which are no longer in use and are just cluttering up the menu/directory making it almost impossible to find what you are looking for...I'm like the Energizer Bunny, Alan...I just keep nagging in the hopes that I will eventually see my suggestions come to fruition, Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:
alan@ebay wrote:
@chrysylys wrote:

Agreed!

alan@ebay  ...yup, me too, which justifies the importance of having a Groups Directory/Menu that is easy to navigate and clearly states what should be posted in that particular Group or area.  Discussion areas for off-topic posts is vitally important for a well rounded and healthy Community as well as the ability to find important information/answers regarding category specific questions which is why I have suggested pulling the once thriving downgraded boards that are now groups into their own eBay sanctioned groups as opposed to the 150 plus groups started by individuals, most of which are no longer in use and are just cluttering up the menu/directory making it almost impossible to find what you are looking for...I'm like the Energizer Bunny, Alan...I just keep nagging in the hopes that I will eventually see my suggestions come to fruition, Smiley Very Happy

I like your passion! When we kick off the project, we'll get in touch with you and set up a call, if you'd like. Would love to have feedback and hear ideas from you as you are passionate about Groups. 

Thanks! 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Soapbox, Town Square, Front Porch and a few others should not be in groups at all.  They should be under a separate header, perhaps Off Topic or similar.  See below: 

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

^^^^  THAT would help people find those places much easier and reduce OT threads on the main boards.  And no, I don't want a phone call.  These things should be discussed openly for all to provide input.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for your sharing your idea, @chrysylys. I offered @hidy-hoo a call as this is a topic we've talked about a lot over the last year. 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

Soapbox, Town Square, Front Porch and a few others should not be in groups at all.  They should be under a separate header, perhaps Off Topic or similar.  See below: 

Hey, I agree with chrysylys, lol....will wonders never cease! Smiley Wink

Just a reminder, alan@ebay, the boards that were demoted to groups still function as a board, which means they are getting the short end of the stick, groups wise.  You mentioned in this weeks Wednesday Chat that old threads were being archived on the boards, but not in the groups...ummm, my home group was drastically reduced in the number of threads, wiping out most of our history, not to mention my kudos, lol,  that I have tried to save .  All improvements/changes that are made to the Discussion "Boards" will also affect the former board groups.

...in addition, the former board groups don't have the luxury of posting an "about this group" blurb in the menu or directory so no one knows that it is an open group that you don't even have to "join" in order to post...also, former board groups don't have their own "moderator" that can move threads around, etc....again, we get the short end of the groups stick!

Looking forward to the call of duty...just hope that I am still young enough to help! upside_down

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:
@chrysylys wrote:

Hey, I agree with chrysylys, lol....will wonders never cease! Smiley Wink

Just a reminder, alan@ebay, the boards that were demoted to groups still function as a board, which means they are getting the short end of the stick, groups wise.  You mentioned in this weeks Wednesday Chat that old threads were being archived on the boards, but not in the groups...ummm, my home group was drastically reduced in the number of threads, wiping out most of our history, not to mention my kudos, lol,  that I have tried to save .  All improvements/changes that are made to the Discussion "Boards" will also affect the former board groups.

...in addition, the former board groups don't have the luxury of posting an "about this group" blurb in the menu or directory so no one knows that it is an open group that you don't even have to "join" in order to post...also, former board groups don't have their own "moderator" that can move threads around, etc....again, we get the short end of the groups stick!

Looking forward to the call of duty...just hope that I am still young enough to help! upside_down

Oh no! I am sorry to hear about the archiving impacting the "group" in that way. In the interim, we'd be happy to add an 'About this Board' message to your "groups." If you can send some suggestions to me by PM for what they might say - we will review. 

Thank you. grin

Message 15 of 19
latest reply