cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post quoting ... and quoting ... and quoting ... and ....

Can y'all look into a way to truncate long and/or nested quotes?  I'm getting kind of tired of wearing my scroll button out due to long posts being quoted multiple times, or people requoting others and ending up with six or eight nested layers of quotes.

It would be nice if people would voluntarily edit the post they're quoting down to just the relevant few words.  But since they don't, can't, won't or don't know how to, perhaps there is a way the system can hide most of it?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

doug@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@chrysylys we can look into quote truncation options. A poster can select an area of quoted text to delete, but I guess many don't choose to do so. Kind of a best practices item some members may not be aware of...

@chrysylys wrote:

Can y'all look into a way to truncate long and/or nested quotes?  I'm getting kind of tired of wearing my scroll button out due to long posts being quoted multiple times, or people requoting others and ending up with six or eight nested layers of quotes.

It would be nice if people would voluntarily edit the post they're quoting down to just the relevant few words.  But since they don't, can't, won't or don't know how to, perhaps there is a way the system can hide most of it?

Message 2 of 49
latest reply

I usually don't edit down when I use the quote feature because in the past there were people on these boards who would scream bloody murder if you quoted them and cut out some of their words because then you might be taking what they said out of context (and it could happen ... I could snip down someone else's post and change the whole concept of what they had written).

I do agree that some of them get pretty long with multiple quotes.

Message 3 of 49
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

I usually don't edit down when I use the quote feature because in the past there were people on these boards who would scream bloody murder if you quoted them and cut out some of their words because then you might be taking what they said out of context (and it could happen ... I could snip down someone else's post and change the whole concept of what they had written).

I do agree that some of them get pretty long with multiple quotes.

I agree, the multiple quotes are annoying but a lot of the comments I see with multiple quotes are by posters that use the mobile platform. Its a pain in the you know what to shorten the quotes on the mobile version. Especially if you are on your phone. I try to avoid quoting when I'm using my phone because shortening the quotes is too hard.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 49
latest reply

This is what I find annoying about using the quote option...when a poster uses the quote and then "replies" within the quote.  This has caused me to misunderstand what is being said because I assumed that the reply was part of the quote.   I have seen some posters use a different color font to reply to different areas of a long post and that is fine...it is the few prolific posters that can't seem to figure out how to start their reply in the correct place.

When I use the quote feature, my text cursor automatically lands on the line underneath the quote so I can see where to start typing ~ I can't understand how/why some posters are replying within the quote itself ~  Is this different for different devices, i.e., phone, tablet, ipad, PC, etc. ?

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 5 of 49
latest reply

doug@ebay wrote:

we can look into quote truncation options.

Progress?

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 49
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

This is what I find annoying about using the quote option...when a poster uses the quote and then "replies" within the quote.  This has caused me to misunderstand what is being said because I assumed that the reply was part of the quote.   I have seen some posters use a different color font to reply to different areas of a long post and that is fine...it is the few prolific posters that can't seem to figure out how to start their reply in the correct place.

When I use the quote feature, my text cursor automatically lands on the line underneath the quote so I can see where to start typing ~ I can't understand how/why some posters are replying within the quote itself ~  Is this different for different devices, i.e., phone, tablet, ipad, PC, etc. ?

When I'm on my macbook and I click "quote" my cursor doesn't always land in the right spot. Sometimes it lands in quote box, or it just doesn't land until I start typing my reply  & my reply is automatically in the quote box and the only way to get out of there is to hit cancel & start over or delete the whole thing (both of which I do). I'm assuming those who have the same issue are just too lazy to hit cancel & start over again. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 49
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

I thinks its best to leave all of the quotes as its better to see the whole conversation and not just a snippet.

I compare it to getting a television news sound bite, which can easily be misconstrued, to hearing the whole interview.

To make a full informed post its best that all info is showed.

Please do not change how people post on these boards.

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 8 of 49
latest reply

@mallontown wrote:

Repeating the same information over and over and over is unnecessary and only makes scrolling pats all of it more tedious.  One can always scroll up to see the originla post(s).

Message 9 of 49
latest reply

So you think all or most of a thread should be repeated over and over in every post with quotes instead of just the relevant information?
Message 10 of 49
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@mallontown wrote:

Repeating the same information over and over and over is unnecessary and only makes scrolling pats all of it more tedious.  One can always scroll up to see the originla post(s).

Sometimes scrolling back up to see the original post or post that was quoted can be a real pain. I don't show that many posts per page so sometimes that post I referenced might be 3 pages back. I get lost too easily without having to go back pages and pages to try to find the post I was referring to.

Message 11 of 49
latest reply

Should know something soon. 

Interested to see what the consensus is, if the preference would be to have the OP quote show, just the quote from a response, or more.

Obviously part of it is how a responder uses the feature, So there's also room to try to educate on quoting. I like the quote feature, but try to only quote what I am responding to. So, I'll often quote the post I am responding to, and edit the quote.

@chrysylys wrote:

Progress?

Message 12 of 49
latest reply

I've seen two different versions that work on other boards.  One partially hides or shades the quoted content, showing only the first few lines similar to hovering over a thread title here.  In that version, the full content appears if you hover over it.

In the other version only the last quoted post appears without any content previously quoted if a person quotes a post that has quoted someone else.

Some of these threads and getting really bad when there are four, five, six or more posts included in nested quotes, especially if they have images.

Message 13 of 49
latest reply

Agreed. The process could be improved. Some of it is in the realm of user error, when posting but we'll see what we can do.

Seems funny to "quote" you now...

@chrysylys wrote:

I've seen two different versions that work on other boards.  One partially hides or shades the quoted content, showing only the first few lines similar to hovering over a thread title here.  In that version, the full content appears if you hover over it.

In the other version only the last quoted post appears without any content previously quoted if a person quotes a post that has quoted someone else.

Some of these threads and getting really bad when there are four, five, six or more posts included in nested quotes, especially if they have images.

Message 14 of 49
latest reply

doug@ebay wrote:

Some of it is in the realm of user error, 

It's generally user error as far as full browsers, but it seems from some of the posts above that editing is far more difficult for those on mobiles.  But then it seems that an awful lot of things are more difficult on mobile ehich is why I don't understand the emphasis on accomodating them.  But I guess that's a different thread.

It also seems that some just simply choose not to which is where truncation would benefit the rest of us.

Message 15 of 49
latest reply