cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last Post to a Topic

Hi alan@ebay,

We had a feature on the old board where you could go directly to the last post on a thread from the main board.

The "jump to last post read" feature is great. But when an entire thread has already been read the "jump to" becomes irrelevant until/unless a new post is made. There's no longer a way to jump to the end of a read thread with a single click. Instead you have to open the thread, wait for the first page to load, scroll down to the bottom of the first post (or the bottom of the page), then click again to go to the last page.

Please see below screenshot - the part outlined in red is what used to be a hyperlink to the last post of a thread on the old board. Actually, maybe it was clicking on the last poster's userid that took you to that post - I can't remember. Is this a feature we can get back? Turn the word "Updated" into a hyperlink to that last post?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 7.29.08 AM.jpg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Last Post to a Topic

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi @copper.boom

I do remember that feature, although I didn't use it much I have to admit. Is there a reason why you found this particular link useful? If there is, let me know as it would make it easier to make a case for bringing this back in a future update. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Last Post to a Topic

Hi, Alan ~ I'm not copper, but thought I would jump in and let you know why I also miss that feature.  

Quite often I will read a long thread and not have time to respond ~ either because I am just plain busy with other eBay or real life stuff, or because I have to do a bit of research to find a link, or verify my answer through the help/policy pages, and as copper mentioned it is a real pain and time consuming to go through the steps to get to the last post...still better than nothing, but if memory serves, there used to be a series of brackets (>>>>) at the end of the last post that would take you to the last post of an already read thread when you clicked on them ~ which is very useful for posters like copper that helps so many posters with questions.

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Last Post to a Topic

Hi Alan,

Heidi Hidy kindly mentioned some of the points above. There are several reasons why clicking directly to the last post is useful.

- Sometimes I read something then go research policy to provide a more accurate response, then going back to the post which can be several pages long it's easier to click straight to the last post. If all posts in the topic are read then the "jump to" becomes irrelevant in that moment. Usually I keep multiple windows open, but not always.

- Sometimes I will read something and not have time to respond in the moment.

- Sometimes I'll post, go back to the main board, but then realize I need to edit my post to add a link or screenshot, clarify a point, or add a thought I forgot to mention. We have a very short edit window, so the quicker I can click back to that post, the better.

- Sometimes I simply want to reference another poster's link or advice or whatever was said on the last page of the thread without having to go through so many steps to get there.

Hope that helps explain some of the uses for this feature.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Last Post to a Topic

Great!! Thanks @copper.boom & @hidy-hoo. I'll see what is possible. I love that we're getting suggestions from the Community. Our team is currently exploring a new way of documenting enhancement requests so that the Community has visibility of them. Keep an eye out for more info on that in the coming months. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Last Post to a Topic

Thanks, Alan! That kind of visibility would be great.

Don't know if you need any more reasons for this specific suggestion, but I remembered another instance where I used the feature frequently. Referencing past Weekly Chats I often go straight to the last page because the last couple of pages are where more of the answers from blues are.

I know there are also smaller Groups that have more variety in their content so a poster may go back to an already read thread to share... I don't know... their latest and greatest eBay purchase and want to go straight to the end of the thread to reply to the last post.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Last Post to a Topic

alan@ebay  The eBayU.K Community has the function to land on the last page using the >> brackets that I was talking about.  This feature would be a great addition to our community for the reasons that copper and I explained.  Since the UK community is also powered by Lithium, (as you obviously know Smiley Happy) will this be possible?

brackets landing on last page.PNG

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Last Post to a Topic

Exactly that! Page numbers with an arrow.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply