cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any reason why there is not a woman on the current community team? Look at the photos.

There's a common theme when looking at the 7 pictures of The Community Team.

I think a woman's ideas and input would be beneficial to the community. 

https://cohttps://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/About-Community/m-p/26164272#M1mmunity.e...

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Is there any reason why there is not a woman on the current community team? Look at the photos.

You could ask @Anonymous why she changed departments.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/News-from-Heidi/m-p/27571175#M26

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

I see the same thing missing that I see when I look at this:

https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/our-leaders/

Anybody else (not) see it? 

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 38
latest reply

wrote:

I see the same thing missing that I see when I look at this:

https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/our-leaders/

Anybody else (not) see it? 

Are any of those people coming on the boards to help address concerns and answer questions?

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 4 of 38
latest reply

@Anonymous accepted a promotion and is a rockstar.

There are many female leaders and executives at eBay, and eBay by far is one of the most diverse companies I have worked for. The tech industry does still have a ways to go in terms of diversity and inclusion but eBay is working towards improving in those areas and it’s a high priority for the business.

We would love to have a female perspective on the team, and will be growing the team at some point. Our manager is female and our wider team is very diverse with many females.

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

wrote:

@Anonymous accepted a promotion and is a rockstar.

There are many female leaders and executives at eBay, and eBay by far is one of the most diverse companies I have worked for. The tech industry does still have a ways to go in terms of diversity and inclusion but eBay is working towards improving in those areas and it’s a high priority for the business.

We would love to have a female perspective on the team, and will be growing the team at some point. Our manager is female and our wider team is very diverse with many females.

My question was about these boards. We are not interacting with other division of ebay on these boards.

The question was not about Ebay as a whole or any other particular segment of ebay.  

I have found that the information I get on these forums is some of the best and way better than a customer service phone call. Another voice would only help further.

7-0 should be a football score and I stand by my statement.

It should happen now and "not at some point" 

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 6 of 38
latest reply

Hi @mallontown, taking another look at this thread.

I am pleased to see that you get great information here.

Overall, I was responding to the other posters as well, like @chrysylys, specifically a reference to a lack of female leadership at eBay, and the reference to eBay as a whole. Plenty of eBay employees, female and male participate regularly in the Community, and you'll be seeing a lot more employee and executive participation, female and male. A lot of eBay employees participate in the Community, and are under the radar compared to others.

There are plenty of female voices in the Community, from the wider  eBay employee base, and from employees and bloggers that contribute to the Community. We have several female bloggers who contribute regularly, check out the eBay for Business blog. We have chats featuring female eBay employees. Jen Deal from Seller Marketing has been responding to posts in boards tied to the modern seller blog posts. Just today you participated in a Community chat that included Kristina from the Seller Marketing team. We hosted a live video in Community today featuring Jen Deal as well. We have female Lithium moderators.

In fact, if you include the blogging team and other recent female eBay representatives, and our moderators, they outnumber alan@ebay, myself, @Anonymous, tyler@ebay, and brian@ebay.

Of course, we're aware there's not a female on the direct Community team. It's something we are aware of and we're working on it. If it was as easy as just making it happen, it would have happened. We have to deal with businessy and administrative stuff like budgets and headcounts. When a slot opens, we'll work to get all the qualified candidates we can, and pick the best for the job.

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

Hi Doug,

I'm pleased that your pleased that I'm pleased. Please be aware that because I am pleased to get an answer I am not always pleased with the answer.

You may want to look at @chrysylys post again to get the true meaning.

Thanks for your blog suggestion but I have already read many and I come away from the blogs with the company line of offer free shipping, ship same or next day, and get the item to the customer as fast as possible. 

Blogs only address the issue of the blog (blog specific) and do not address the multitude of different direct questions like the community team members do so it is not relevant to my post on this issue.

While it was nice to have some female perspective and input in the latest community chat that is not the community norm for the past few months.

Again you want to mention other parts/divisions of the company to justify not have a woman on the community team.  You mention 5 men and leave the other 2 men off the list.

That's 7 men - 0 women.

I am glad that you are aware that there is not a female on the current community team.

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 8 of 38
latest reply

Fone
Message 9 of 38
latest reply

@mallontown

Two woman have just recently left the community team. Heidi moved to a better position and Sarah took a leave of absence and will be back.

I do not personally see a need to get excited about the gender count here. Less than three years ago, the community leadership was small and appeared to be more female than male, and they were tasked with rebuilding the community team. Two years ago that flipped as new faces were brought on board and some of the females moved on or up. In just about any tech industry, teams are always in flux. Expect to see a 50% or better turnover every two years. And big companies have a lot of internal rotation. Do not count any one cycle when considering gender. Instead, consider the full flow of faces over time. I would not want staff to pick a female because they had a gender slot to fill. I would prefer to see competence, not gender, as the deciding factor.

I know that the board staff here is going to say all the right things to show they are gender considerate, but the reality is that competence is more important than making a yes pile for only gender. We members want staff who will listen to our ideas, who can help when called upon, and who can get things done, and right now, we have a top notch team in that department - the best in a very very long time.

Did anyone bother to ask if our community staff included gays or gender-ambiguous members? (No of course not, how tastelessly rude). There are a lot of men out there who can fill a female-minded slot without the requirement that their appearance be female. Just saying...

Anyway, my vote is for gender-blind competency. When the right person comes along with the right character for understanding and patiently interfacing with our diverse membership, they should be snapped up for the job, regardless of gender, and I don't want to see a position plugged with just a gender-specific placeholder.  But, if eBay wants to drag someone over from somewhere else, my vote is for Marni Deshong, the most forum-savvy eBay employee I have ever had the privilege to meet.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 10 of 38
latest reply

Hi @shipscript, I was with you part of the way.  The problem is there currently is no such thing as "gender blind," particularly in the tech community, I'm sure with minor exceptions.  A man invented eBay, but a woman built it.  Women still have to be twice as good as men to get the same job.  That's reality.   People like @mallontown speaking up, asking about it is what will make a different future. 

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

@tenbigdogs wrote:

A man invented eBay, but a woman built it. 

I personally think Meg did a great deal more damage than good.  I attribute the change in direction away from small sellers and towrads retailers with deeper pockets to her reign.

When I look at the Staff and Executive pictures, I do not see 'diversity' and I feel there is a much bigger issue than gender.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 12 of 38
latest reply

I'm going to overlook being called out, no matter how rude it is, and just say that some people like to argue, no matter what, and on the Discussion Boards, everyone get their opinion.

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

Another weekly chat with only men responding from  community team.

Does anyone know the male female % demographics of ebay users? 

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 15 of 38
latest reply