cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wonder if ebay plans on fixing the community board

or are they going to let that right column with, start a discussion here, most helpful authors, popular board discussions and popular tags block the right side info until the next board makeover?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

You should let them know which browser or device you're using. It looks fine to me, in both of the browsers I checked.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi @7198dave

Some additional information would be great to help us review what you're seeing. 

You can upload screenshots in Community posts; please try that. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Screenshot (2) - Copy.png

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Screenshot (3).png

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@7198dave wrote:

Screenshot (3).png

Thanks, that doesn't look good. What browser & version are you using? 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I am using IE and I believe it's windows 8.1 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thanks. For a consistent and reliable experience, our platform vendor recommends using Internet Explorer 11. Earlier versions of this browser are not fully supported. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

"Earlier versions of this browser are not fully supported. "

Some might say that it would be nice if a platform supported multiple versions; it is rather discouraging if the platform assumes that users would install new browsers to use exclusively for the ebay community, then switching back to their preferred browser for other uses.

But, not unexpected; ebay policies often seem intended to discourage rather than to encourage use and participation in the community.

Speaking as one who has seen one change after another that was ill-considered and unnecessary.

I too see a column on the right that obscures parts of the posts; but I'm not planning to change browsers; I might consider not coming to the boards though.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@all_fakes wrote:

Some might say that it would be nice if a platform supported multiple versions; it is rather discouraging if the platform assumes that users would install new browsers to use exclusively for the ebay community, then switching back to their preferred browser for other uses.

But, not unexpected; ebay policies often seem intended to discourage rather than to encourage use and participation in the community.

Speaking as one who has seen one change after another that was ill-considered and unnecessary.

I too see a column on the right that obscures parts of the posts; but I'm not planning to change browsers; I might consider not coming to the boards though.

I don't plan on changing browsers either or updating to windows 11. Why would I want to when ebay will turn around and make new changes again then there will be another issue. They'll say I need windows 12.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

This is not an eBay standard, it's a Lithium standard. Lithium is the provider for the Community platform.  It's a recommended practice to always use the current version of your browser, for the latest security updates and features. Also, the Community uses what's referred to as a responsive design to offer a consistent user experience on desktop, mobile and tablet. Older browser aren't responsive friendly.

Chrome is the most popular browser right now, by far.

@all_fakes wrote:

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Understand the feedback about not wanting to update the version of your browser, after a while, you will find that you're going to find it more and more difficult to use the internet with outdated browsers, not to mention the security risks of not running the latest browsers. 

Thanks. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

"Chrome is the most popular browser right now, by far"

Well....that is not true.  By far?

Latest figures are 31.8% for Chrome vs. 30.9% for IE, less than one percentage point difference.   Looking at it another way, the vast majority of users prefer something other than Chrome.

It is kind of sad that Lithium is happy to leave 69% of users out in the cold, and that ebay is OK with that.

And we are not using woefully outdated browsers, in most cases.   It is true that unlike the computer geeks, we don't always jump on the latest release.

But I'm glad you are listening, in any case.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Hi @all_fakes, we're definitely trying to listen.

Not trying to argue, just citing sources, so here's my source for my Chrome comment: http://www.zdnet.com/article/chrome-is-the-most-popular-web-browser-of-all/. From what I've seen, I.E. has been drifting off for years.

Ideally, I would like to see everyone use any browser they want, but I also see the security side of it, advancements, and responsive requirements for mobile and tablets. It's the way things are.

I am a creaure of habit, and takes a lot for me to change. When I first started web browsing in the late 90's I was a Netscape guy (once I ventured out of Compuserve and AOL), then I.E. for years. For a while I went to Firefox, and then to Chrome. Right now I like Chrome because of the Google integration, and I like a lot of the plug-ins.

@all_fakes wrote:

"Chrome is the most popular browser right now, by far"

Well....that is not true.  By far?

Latest figures are 31.8% for Chrome vs. 30.9% for IE, less than one percentage point difference.   Looking at it another way, the vast majority of users prefer something other than Chrome.

It is kind of sad that Lithium is happy to leave 69% of users out in the cold, and that ebay is OK with that.

And we are not using woefully outdated browsers, in most cases.   It is true that unlike the computer geeks, we don't always jump on the latest release.

But I'm glad you are listening, in any case.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I too was a Netscape advocate, and finally had to switch to Firefox, which I have been using forever now...

I would never consider NOT upgrading my browser then they offer it.  (Upgrading Windows is a whole other thing)

I do keep Chrome on my system, mainly to verify if a problem is a browser issue or not.  I've never really gotten comfortable with it, but it's a reasonable "back-up."

Message 15 of 16
latest reply