cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we REALLY need all the duplicate threads?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Ebay-intermediate-payments-announcement/td-p/28061993/jump-to/...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/People-are-flipping-out-over-Adyen/td-p/28065083/jump-to/first...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/PayPal-being-replaced-on-ebay/td-p/28062479/jump-to/first-unre...

There were are a couple more but they may have fallen off the first page.  Merge would be good.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi @chrysylys

We don't merge threads in this Community. We'll monitor volume on this topic, and if it drives a significant amount, then we may create a new discussion board and move the threads there. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

How about locking all but the first one based on the opening post timestamp?

OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

We're not into shutting down healthy conversations. I'm sure users have different POVs on the topic, so multiple threads are fine. 

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Actually they are often an annoying waste of responder's time, cause confusion for responders trying to manage a dozen threads and responses on the same topic (especially when posters cross post the same rant through multiple threads on the same topic), and are an indication of laziness on the part of the posters who can't be bothered to look first (or search) and see that their "hot news item" has already been scooped by a dozen others. ("notification emails", "Smartpost Charges Doubled", "Intermediate Payments", "USPS raised Rates", and other mostly "Duh!" threads).

I'm usually pro hands-off on these issues, but this is one case where I think eBay/Lithium should be proactive and aggregate some of these threads early on as stickies to keep the noise level down to a dull roar of just "I got frauded", FedEx is a scam and ripoff", Why can't I leave negative feedback for a buyer?" posts.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Right out of the Guidelines at the top of the page:

6. Avoid duplicate, repetitive or disruptive threads and posts.  Members should only post one thread per topic on the most relevant board for the issue or question.  Topics or posts that are duplicative or disruptive may be removed without notice.

It hasn't been bad lately, but for a while, mods were moving a lot of threads over o the soapbox, and we ended up having a half-dozen or more threads all saying the same thing.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

wrote:

6. Avoid duplicate, repetitive or disruptive threads and posts.  Members should only post one thread per topic .

The fly in the ointment there is that means ONE member posting multiple threads.  It doesn't say each member can't post one thread on the same topic.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

There is a lot of good information in those threads, please do not close any.

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

wrote:

6. Avoid duplicate, repetitive or disruptive threads and posts.  Members should only post one thread per topic .

The fly in the ointment there is that means ONE member posting multiple threads.  It doesn't say each member can't post one thread on the same topic.

I don't read it that way...  I read it as "all members" not "individual posters".

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/karencarlton/cat%20opinion/me/kiti_1.jpg

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I have seen multiple threads recently on purchases from China by one poster.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I said: I don't read it that way...  I read it as "all members" not "individual posters".

Isn't that one poster part of "all members?"

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@sheba*wrote:

I said: I don't read it that way...  I read it as "all members" not "individual posters".

Never said it wasn't.  It was simply an observation, and perhaps I should have stated it was not directed at you.  The interpretation is you are not supposed to post duplicate threads.  As just one example, the OP has started several threads recently on what she will receive from China, when she will receive it, etc.; thus her concern about duplicate threads is puzzling.  

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

As just one example, the OP has started several threads recently on what she will receive from China

AH So....  I didn't realize you were referencing the OP....Smiley Surprised

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

No worries at all!  Perhaps I should have clarified that better.  

Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@castlemagicmemorieswrote:

@sheba*wrote:

Never said it wasn't.  It was simply an observation, and perhaps I should have stated it was not directed at you.  The interpretation is you are not supposed to post duplicate threads.  As just one example, the OP has started several threads recently on what she will receive from China, when she will receive it, etc.; thus her concern about duplicate threads is puzzling.  

For further clarification, these threads were started very closely together.

Definitely duplicate, concerning basically the same issue.  Questionable relevance, inviting speculations as to what would be received, when it would be received, etc.  

Message 15 of 15
latest reply