cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the board rules apply to private messages?

Do the community guidelines also apply to private messages sent from member to member on the boards? Specifically rule #4 Be Respectful. 

I am pretty sure the answer is yes but would like to know for sure. Thank you!

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@missjen831wrote:

Do the community guidelines also apply to private messages sent from member to member on the boards? Specifically rule #4 Be Respectful. 

No, not unless the person you send it to reports it.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@missjen831 wrote:

Hi @missjen831,

Yes, we expect users to be respectful in all areas of the Community. If you receive a Private Message from another member that contains abuse, we ask that you report the message to us via the link in the Private Message. 

Thank you.

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Thank you alan! I used the report link on the message but just wanted to be sure that messages also must follow the community guidelines. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

No probs! Thanks for keeping the Community safe. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I understood that Board Rules of Engagement should apply to PMs as well, but when I have received improper messages and reported them, I was simply told to put the id on ignore.  So my understanding was/is that nothing was really done, although perhaps that creates a history of abuses which may generate action.  It may be that the privacy policy might account for this.  My apologies if this understanding is inaccurate, but these were my experiences.

I did not put any id on ignore because I felt it best to know what was going on, and to be able to report abuse.  

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@castlemagicmemorieswrote:

I understood that Board Rules of Engagement should apply to PMs as well, but when I have received improper messages and reported them, I was simply told to put the id on ignore.  So my understanding was/is that nothing was really done, although perhaps that creates a history of abuses which may generate action.  It may be that the privacy policy might account for this.  My apologies if this understanding is inaccurate, but these were my experiences.

I did not put any id on ignore because I felt it best to know what was going on, and to be able to report abuse.  

Does putting a user id on the ignore list block them from sending you a PM?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Supposedly, it does.  At least, that is what people who have done that tell me.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@*coins wrote:

Hi @*coins,

Ingoring someone stops that person from sending you PM's (well...they can send you PM's, but they won't show in your inbox).

Hope this helps!

PS - I like your new signature! 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

alan@ebaywrote:

@*coinswrote:

Hi @*coins,

Ingoring someone stops that person from sending you PM's (well...they can send you PM's, but they won't show in your inbox).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know that and I think it will help me with something. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

alan@ebaywrote:

@*coinswrote:

Hi @*coins,

Hope this helps!

Thank you Alan. I've used that button before but didn't know what it actually DID. Good to know!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@missjen831 & @*coins - if you're receiving PMs that concern you, please report them, and we'll review and take appropriate action.

Thanks!

Message 12 of 12
latest reply