cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Community "Guides" ebay employee?

Just wondering what Community guides are? Are they ebay employees?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Most of the posters here are members like you.

We're just busybodies and have no lives.

Many have more experience and a better understanding of eBay and its arcane rules than the CS reps, underpaid and undertrained as they are.

(I've been around eBay since 1998 and in mail order since 1978.)

You will from time to time see an eBay employee. Their posts are the only ones with IDs that are emails. (The one we see on eBay Canada, my home site, are tyler@ebay.com and rodney@ebay.com. I don't know the names of any who post to dotCOM, but I have seen some very occasionally.)

They are sometimes called 'pinks' because their posts used to be highlighted in pink. Now they are highlighted in blue. No one knows why.

You may also see the occasional post from a Board Moderator. Usually when a thread gets hot and /or wanders way off topic.

Or you may get one personally, which is not made public.

Those are from employees of Lithium, who are contracted to run the Boards for eBay.  They seem a pretty sensible lot on the whole.

EBay gave us those dumb badges last summer. Most experienced members were righteously pee'd about it. We used to have our feedback numbers instead.

Some posters use posting IDs, especially if they have had problems with mischievous or angry bidders.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Many have more experience and a better understanding of eBay and its arcane rules than the CS reps, underpaid and undertrained as they are.

(I've been around eBay since 1998 and in mail order since 1978.)

You will from time to time see an eBay employee. Their posts are the only ones with IDs that are emails. (The one we see on eBay Canada, my home site, are tyler@ebay.com and rodney@ebay.com. I don't know the names of any who post to dotCOM, but I have seen some very occasionally.)

They are sometimes called 'pinks' because their posts used to be highlighted in pink. Now they are highlighted in blue. No one knows why.

You may also see the occasional post from a Board Moderator. Usually when a thread gets hot and /or wanders way off topic.

Or you may get one personally, which is not made public.

Those are from employees of Lithium, who are contracted to run the Boards for eBay.  They seem a pretty sensible lot on the whole.

EBay gave us those dumb badges last summer. Most experienced members were righteously pee'd about it. We used to have our feedback numbers instead.

Some posters use posting IDs, especially if they have had problems with mischievous or angry bidders.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Thank you. I have been on ebay for a long time but have rarely posted.  I am just trying to figure out how the Community works.  I appreciate the time you spent answering my question. I noticed I managed to leave a typo on my topic line. Is there anyway to edit or delete a topic?

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

While I can't vouch for others, I'm not an eBay employee.  I'm merely a member that has been active on the boards for a number of years and somehow during the last major updating of the boards was given the designation of "Guide."  I really have no idea of what that means exactly.

While I can't be positive, I"m pretty sure that most of the other, so-called Guides, are the same as me.  The few actual eBay employees usually identify themselves as such.  I believe that is eBay policy.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@thebookee,

As the previous two posters have said, when eBay employees do post on these boards they are identifiable by having the (@ebay) appended to their name.  However, eBay upper management does not encourage their employees to use these boards, except for a couple of reasons or only on a couple of specific boards. If their employees were more involved with the boards, many of the common issues we see daily may have been dealt with or fixed a long time ago.

As for the Badges we have after our names, those were foisted on us by the millenials at Lithium, who grew up with social media, and felt these boards should look like those sites, with badges and other meaningless participation awards.  Many of us who have been on these boards for years, resent them because they do not reflect the serious nature of the help we try provide to other members.

When the boards changed giving us those titles we were asked what we thought, and the consensus was nearly unanimously negative about the titles.  Please tell us if you think the term "Rock Star" should be the highest rating any of us can attain.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

O. G .NOOOOOOO ... we all are just members , once in a while you'll see an EBAY person answer something... but they have @ebay  so otherwise it all us here...sellers and buyers and a alot that go both ways...uuummm well you know ..

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Do the guides get paid or otherwise compensated like free listings or free ebay merchandise? Is this position something that we all should strive for? Why are the rules on how to become a guide so hidden? Are the guides the only ones who can respond to a member to member question? Any if so then why this restriction? It seems like the community should be able to respond to all member posts? 

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@lloydsteventaylor wrote:

Do the guides get paid or otherwise compensated like free listings or free ebay merchandise? Is this position something that we all should strive for? Why are the rules on how to become a guide so hidden? Are the guides the only ones who can respond to a member to member question? Any if so then why this restriction? It seems like the community should be able to respond to all member posts? 

No poster to these boards get paid or compensated in any way as we are not Ebay employees. We are volunteers who help other members.

The Member to Member board tells you at the top who is able to answer those posts and that any user may apply to become an answering member on that board.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

no no.. we are all just memeber who help, laugh, offer advice...and spend some time learning new things that others found out before we ran into the issue..

and when new stuff comes out, help explain it to me!.... 

The nicknames we have are based on how many answers and time here...and we all move up at some point and get a new "nickname".... so i forget what i am, but it is just a name...silly but its there-- there is a chart somewhere that shows the levels....

member to member group is slected ..it is a closed group...so you don't get the nuts like me in it..lol...but they are experienced and maybe have more time , want to offer...etc...but someone gives them that...ooohhh and the secret handshake..... lol

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@pingpong517 wrote:

no no.. we are all just memeber who help, laugh, offer advice...and spend some time learning new things that others found out before we ran into the issue..

and when new stuff comes out, help explain it to me!.... 

The nicknames we have are based on how many answers and time here...and we all move up at some point and get a new "nickname".... so i forget what i am, but it is just a name...silly but its there-- there is a chart somewhere that shows the levels....

member to member group is slected ..it is a closed group...so you don't get the nuts like me in it..lol...but they are experienced and maybe have more time , want to offer...etc...but someone gives them that...ooohhh and the secret handshake..... lol

and if someone is getting paid...I want in on that too!

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

You have gotten some great answers.

We can see how you would be confused by some sellers being listed as "guides".

As others have stated, those silly titles were given to us with no apparent reason or explanation.

We are Trailblazers. It's just a dumb assigned name. We have no idea why or if it will ever change.

We hate it, and you have pointed out that it adds nothing to the community except "huh? What does that mean?".

However, it's a good example of how ebay operates. 

Quite often, ideas, rules, regulations are presented, rolled out, or revised with seemingly little thought.

Thats why many sellers who can find it (it's pretty hidden), turn to the community boards for help and clarification.

For us, it has been the biggest source of explanation and educating ourselves through the murky waters of selling on eBay.

As to your typo, everyone does it sometime! 

Often, others comment and it becomes our only laughs here.

Best of luck!

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

lloydsteventaylor wrote:

@thebookee :

First, notice the "@" symbol above - placing this in front of anyone's moniker - whether a "pink", a "blue" or other user of the boards, will send them a message that they have something to read specifically intended for them (see the notification bell to the right of the envelope of your opening page - it will turn red and will have a number beside it - click it). Perhaps this is how you got to this page - 🙂

@lloydsteventaylor : to respond to your specific questions ... and to help the OP too... 

The only ones who get paid (employees) are the ones that have "eBay" in their moniker - as already mentioned by another responder (which the rest of us are volunteers who just offer our time, knowledge and experience are known as). Two of these employees from Canada were mentioned in a previous response - some others on the US side are Alan, Trinton, Brian, Heidi, and a couple more whose names escape me at the moment (sorry guys, please forgive me).  Griff will occasionally pop his head in too.

Griff is the radio show host and is commonly known as our liaison between upper management and we "the little people". Of course you can call into the radio show too about whatever issue is on your mind.

Most of these employees (though not all) have graciously made themselves available to us through the envelope icon - just send them a message.  Others have made their private email public on these boards and can be reached that way.  

And if you see a particular topic posted that you feel 'management' needs to address for one reason or another, just use their contact in the thread - for example "@....@ebay" - they will get the notification to look at it - and often they will respond to it within the question itself.  I give them much credit for being responsible and attentive. Their reply may not be what we want it to be, but they do their best to keep it honest - and I appreciate that personally - a lot.

In any case, this is a HUGE improvement over the last admin who did all they could to hide from us and would not reply to us at all publicly in many cases.

Now, Do the guides get paid or otherwise compensated like free listings or free ebay merchandise? "Guides" is only a tag which has been earned by the user - no one knows the exact criteria required to achieve these tags - but they are simply an attempt to let the world know of their personal eBay experience - such as age on the boards, how many posts they have started and answered, how many OP's have selected their answers as being the 'right' one, etc.  

As I understand it, these tags are: Adventurer, Enthusiast, Trail Blazer, Guide, Rockstar and Visionary.  I feel like I am missing one somewhere between Blazer and Rock, so I am not positive of the 'rank and file'. Visionary is the highest and only 3 or 4 have achieved this level - so it is very rare - and while these tags do seem silly (as others told you) many consider them an 'honor' - as there were designed to be. Now having explained that, NO - none of these volunteers get a paycheck. There is no regular compensation, no free listings or such like that.  We are simply volunteers who have the soul of a giver and just want to help. Yes, a perk would be sweet, but not expected.  

As I understand it, discussions have happened along the guidelines of some sort of occasional reward program being put into place, but nothing is conclusive or has been decided upon. As said, we do this for the self-satisfaction, not to be 'given anything' (not to say we would not accept it - lol). And naturally, if anyone has received any token, no one will admit to it as to eliminate jealousy and hurt feelings of others.  Gifts are of no concern other than the giver and the receiver - so please do not expect anyone to 'go there'...

Is this position something that we all should strive for?  - Again, if it is in your nature to help others and it makes you feel as if you are a better person for the effort, then go for it.

Why are the rules on how to become a guide so hidden? - As I mentioned, the specifics are not made public, I don't know why. But when your efforts meet the goal, you will see a change in your tag.

Are the guides the only ones who can respond to a member to member question?  This is a tricky one.  Most anyone can respond to a question, but there are certain boards where only those appointed as "experts" can respond - because of their level of expertise.

During the last Admin, Jeff, hand-picked a small group of the top responders and labeled us as "experts" due to our success rates of being accurate with our replies and the number of posts (which exceeded 5000 as I recall) . Most of the ones selected then are now known as Rockstars and Visionaries - and so YES, the only ones in this group are allowed to make replies to certain questions. This Admin (Alan) has now opened the door for others so qualified so they can be appointed - if interested, you may apply for this - just open the M2M board (Member to Member) for the details posted in the heading of that thread.

Any if so then why this restriction? YES, restrictions apply - keep reading the rest of this note as to discover 'the rest of the story'.

It seems like the community should be able to respond to all member posts?  NO.

This is so that the responses can be counted on as being 100% accurate and within policy. No guesses or apologies for misinformation allowed here. One has to consistently prove themselves as being able to meet the needs of the OP (Original Poster - the one asking the question).

Before applying to be acknowledged as an 'expert', it is recommended that you study the A-Z Index (the eBay encyclopedia) - then, when you feel that you know everything there -- forwards, backwards, inside, outside, upsidedown, and sideways - then you may be ready.  If you don't know already how to access this information - that may be the first clue that you might not be ready just yet 🙂  (But, FYI - click on the link below Site Map, now click Help & Contact, Now click on the Index ... and study.) I spent hours, daily for 6 months learning before I responded to the first question.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Wait... Really there is a chart somewhere that shows why we are "Trailblazers"? 

Where??

And we can move up? 

To What?? 

I can't read that completely stupid label without thinking about girl scout camp.

( I can however still light a good fire and I remember some knots, but, I digress...)

I still want to pick my own label.

I can think of some good ones!!

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

oh let me find that..someone posted it a hwile back..i was suprised too.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Cat LOL  Hey, that's what I wanted to say!

Message 15 of 27
latest reply