cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Comics be shipped through the USPS as Media Rate

Can anyone say definatively yes or no? Some clerks will accept packages for this rate and others say No...claim its "Magazines and has advertising" etc. Its been a crap shoot at the post offices I use and I'm tired of getting burnt on large shipments if I can in fact ship Media Rate. They end up using this other rate that maybe saves a dime called Printed Material but is a variable rate based on where its going by Zip Code so many times its about the same as First Class. Tonight at the 24/7 Post Office I figure it cost me an extra $40. I try to kkep my shipping cost to a minimum to my customers but its getting to be a losing proposition when the post office will not cooperate! Please advise and thanks for input Tony
Message 1 of 533
latest reply
532 REPLIES 532

But media mail packages can be inspected anywhere along the route and if found not to be in compliance then the receiver will have to pay postage due or the item will be returned to you, postage due.It is really not worth the trouble since you can mail Bound printed matter for a few cents more.
Message 16 of 533
latest reply

(of course I'd show up for this...)

From one of the many threads on this topic...

----start----

gifflefunk (1012) (view author's auctions)
05/12/04 10:39 PM(#69 of 88)
Ok... I couldn't sleep so I went off to pe.usps.gov and I found the actual postal regulations.

The two areas that relate to our discussion here are the following sub-sections E610 Basic Standards (in the E600 Standard Mail section) and E713 Media Mail (in the E700 Package Services section).

E610 2.2 Printed Matter
Printed matter weighing less than 16 ounces may be sent as Standard Mail. For this standard, printed matter means paper on which words, letters, characters, figures, or images (or any combination of them), not having the character of a bill or statement of account or of actual and personal correspondence, are reproduced by any process other than handwriting or typewriting.

Ok, no mention of advertising here... just bills, statements of account and correspondence. So comic books are printed matter.

E713 1.1 Qualified Items
a. Books, including books issued to supplement other books of at least eight printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography, or reading matter with incidental blank spaces for notations and containing no advertising matter other than incidental announcements of books. Advertising includes paid advertising and the publishers' own advertising in display, classified, or editorial style.

c. Printed music, whether in bound or sheet form.
[b,d-i items deleted as they are irrelevant to the discussion]

Ok, this would exclude comics that contain paid advertisments that exist as pages. I'm not sure about the obsolete aspect for advertisments published in the 1950s, but for arguments sake we will call all paid advertising (be it current or obsolete) as advertising. So comics do not qualify as Media Mail.

E713 1.2 Loose Enclosures
In addition to the enclosures and additions listed in E610, any printed matter that is mailable as Standard Mail may be included loose with any qualifying material mailed at the Media Mail rates.

Look, a loophole! You can print out a sheet of music and include it in a package containing no more than 16 ounces of comic books and the package can be shipped as Media Mail. The sheet of music is qualified material and comics meet the definition for Standard Mail. So long as you are only sending 1 pound or less of comics, with the sheet of music, it can all go Media Mail!

Now, there is still that question regarding obsolete advertising still being advertising vs. historical text (the argument being "how can you advertise something that no longer exists?"). Has it become historical text and hence part of the reading material? If so, older comics may qualify under E713 1.1 a as Media Mail. I plan to take this post into my local Main Office to get a definition on "advertising vs. historical text".

----end----

----start----

gifflefunk (1012) (view author's auctions)
05/14/04 08:28 AM(#81 of 88)
Ok folks, I just got off the phone with the head of Media Mail at Rates and Classifications in Chicago, IL.

Here is his take on the situation... as E713 1.1 a says "advertising" and makes no provision for obsolete advertisments vs. current advertisments, he says that any postal branch is operating within the regulations to refuse comic books that contain any advertising.

Now he wasn't aware of the RIBBS precedent set for reprinted historical catalogs being allowed under Media Mail (PS-064 in the RIBBS system). But he understands the logical argument (by extension) that if a product is no longer being produced, or the vendor is no longer in existence, that no one can benefit from the advertisment and so it has become historical in nature and has become part of the reading text. The problem he sees is in verifying that all of the products are unavailable and that the vendors are out of business (and trying to determine such a thing could get messy and take more time than it is worth).

Now I explained to him that some people were getting comic books rejected, and others were not, based on their local POs interpretation of the Media Mail rules. He said the only way for us to get a National rule would be through a "hearing" on this issue. And it would work this way... someone who gets comic books rejected at their local office would need to appeal that ruling locally and get it worked up the ladder to Rates and Classifications in Chicago. This appeal is where we can present our our "case" as to why vintage comics should be allowed to qualify for Media Mail. Once it gets to him then he would investigate the matter, taking our position as part of that investigation, and then make a National ruling.

So we would need a damn good set of reasons to allow comic books otherwise we risk losing Media Mail privliges for all dealers that are currently allowed to send comics under that rate by their local POs. He said sometimes it is better to leave it alone.

----end----

My local PO told me that they classify any advertising more than 3 years old as obsolete, so any magazine (comic books, TV guides, etc.) are eligible for Media Mail if they are that old or older.
Message 17 of 533
latest reply

devils, the trouble with BPM is that it is truly low man on the totem pole. It is the last to leave a depot/station (as in, if there's no room, it sits), will be discarded if not deliverable (even if you write, "return service requested" or whatever the proper term is; it is supposed to be returned but usually ends up somewhere else) and if you think the Media Mail packages are treated roughly, BPM gets treated worse! This information is not just speculation on my part but was supplied by a number of people I know, including two USPS counter clerks, a mail carrier and a friend who used to work in the main sort facility here in Phoenix.
Check out my "ME" page for a link to The Corral - sweet freedom is at hand!
Message 18 of 533
latest reply

Thanks for posting that, giffle!
Message 19 of 533
latest reply

kelex
Scout
Here's a thought...Maybe we should start a thread simply titled "Media Mail" and get the Pinks to pin it to the top. I'm not criticising the OP, he's new to the board so he couldn't know how many times we've gone over this before...but given the completeness of Giff's research, I should think that one thread pinned to the top of the board, with the responses he received from the USPS caontained therein, would save everyone a little time...I assume it's already in the FAQ, but if you don't know it's Frequently Asked, you might not think to look there, y'know? So a threat with the title "Media Mail" or "Comics & Media Mail" or whatever...Just a thought...(8^)
Message 20 of 533
latest reply

fulltimer56
Thrill-Seeker
How about see if we can get this thread posted at the top? How do you go about checking into that?

Linda

Welcome to Fulltimer's Out of Storage Comics & Stuff

Make sure to come visit us at The Corral!! Check my ME page for the link!

Comics Board Birthday Link

Cooks Nook Board Birthday Link

Message 21 of 533
latest reply

kelex
Scout
In theory, one would email a Pink@eBay.com (try Robin, or Lulu, or Collectibles for the specific Pink...or use your own favorite Pink if you know one personally...but I think those three are the ones closest to us) Ask them to pin it to the top and include a link to this thread.
Message 22 of 533
latest reply

I think we tried that last time this came up and got no response. Anyone remember trying that?
Message 23 of 533
latest reply

Gall,
I have never had a problem with BPM in over 5 years. Maybe the devils just lucky??
I will agree that sometimes it is slower than Media mail or Regular mail.
Message 24 of 533
latest reply

P.s
I worked a a Casual for over 2 years at the facility in Tampa and in srting there was no distinguishing between Media Mail or BPM or Parcel post.
Message 25 of 533
latest reply

Interesting. Maybe it's different in AZ or something.
Message 26 of 533
latest reply

Gall,
If it was any type of package other than 1st class or priority it was thrown in the approiate bin or zip code.
Many of times at xmas a 40lb box of fruit was thrown on a smaller package which made the smaller package smaller.
Message 27 of 533
latest reply

I applaud the "pin it to the top" efforts.

Message 28 of 533
latest reply

kelex
Scout
Said efforts having apparently met with success, another round of applause: *CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP**CLAP*
Message 29 of 533
latest reply

fulltimer56
Thrill-Seeker
kelex,

Did you write the Pink too? I sent out three email to Robin, Lulu and one other last Friday! I got a nice little note from Lulu saying that it was being pin to the top.

Linda

Welcome to Fulltimer's Out of Storage Comics & Stuff

Make sure to come visit us at The Corral!! Check my ME page for the link!

Comics Board Birthday Link

Cooks Nook Board Birthday Link

Message 30 of 533
latest reply