cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid CGC like the plague

Been a collector for many years and finally took the plunge sending my Hulk #1 to CGC for grading. Spent almost $200 Performing a Huge Mistake. I have seen many comic graded by CGC over the years and mine should have graded at least a 3 but have seen 3.5-4.5 on a regular basis for the condition. Those clowns at CGC graded a 2.5. When contacted they would not even respond to my concerns. Awful customer service, quoting a 15 business day turn around (taking 23 business days) and Not responding to my concerns. Needless to say I am done with that "Business" and will Ballyhoo CGC nonsense till the day I die. Was leary when they started and now confirmation has been had. 1 last note, I dislike their changing the grading system that had been in place so long.

Message 1 of 105
latest reply
104 REPLIES 104

Re: Avoid CGC like the plague

I would assume they just found a little piece missing or some other oversight on the inside or back cover page. Fingerprints are often overlooked, so might have found one or more prints. If you could kindly upload an image of the comic in question then we might be able to see what happened. A .5 isn't much of a deal and wouldn't stress over it. You really don't want to send anything under a 6.0 for grading. Mostly CGC is to get more money for  your sale; nothing more. You already knew how to grade, so why did you send it in to CGC? I would not fret over something so minor.

Message 2 of 105
latest reply

Well CGC isn't going anywhere and most buyers (myself included) won't touch anything that is not graded. They have standards and appear to be very accurate, something I can't say for those trying to sell ungraded comics. As to the example, best not to bother with anything that will be less than a 9.0 unless it is ultra-valuable. 

Message 3 of 105
latest reply

If you not satisfied with the grading will auction off to e-bay!

Message 4 of 105
latest reply

IMO  The half point difference basically means that you are in agreement with the other party's grading. As stated forty million times before; grading is subjective, and some defects bother some collectors while others may overlook the same flaws. It does pay to get a low grade copy of Hulk #1 professionally graded because the restoration check will give a potential buyer the confidence to bid or buy. The OP will realize a nice price for this book.  Maybe just as much as some copies graded 3.0.

BTW...I would not say that CGC grades are one hundred percent accurate.

Message 5 of 105
latest reply

This story in summation. Collected for a long time, found out couldnt grade, threw a tantrum.
Message 6 of 105
latest reply

Just a thought, I see hundreds of comics every week that fall into Fine through Very Fine, and am pretty confident calling a book Fine or Very Fine minus, etc.

I just do not see that many books that fall over 9 or under 5. I am much less confident in calling a book VF+ vs. NM, or VG- vs. GD+. This is especially true regarding books in the lower grade range. There are just so many types of wear and damage to take into account. It seems to me that grading a book that falls into the 2 to 4 range will inevitably be very subjective.

I know CGC claims to be the solution for this problem of subjectivity, but in cases like this I think it would be hard for them to defend the specific grades they assign.

Semi-related pet peeve, I am not that concerned about grading as I sell mostly lower value books, but it does bug me how often Mint and NM is tossed around in listings. I assume Mint and NM really mean VF, and VF might mean as low as Fine-. Since I rarely buy books where condition is a big concern, this doesn't bother me much as a buyer, but as a seller, I expect most buyers assume the grades I assign to the more valuable books I am selling  are exagerated as well. But what are you gonna do. . .

Message 7 of 105
latest reply

CGC gets alot of hate for establishing a grading scale while private offers standards to the industry. Now that being said they have all types of issues from scammers and resto checks, but that going to happen.

Buyers like it because they dont have to deal with restorations, lousy grading(I been grading comics for 20 years and its this grade. How many of us have heard that one?), lack of professionalism.

I still buy and sell raw book 99% of the time so CGC doesnt affect me much, I will say its bringing a revolution to grading standards thats been needed for a long time.

Message 8 of 105
latest reply

disagree. For huge Marvel Keys, Like Hulk 1, they all should go to CGC. Low grades need to be checked for restoration and color touch and completeness. Besides, the OP could put a raw Hulk 1 on Ebay as a 3.0 or send the 2.5 to comiclink and where do you think the most $$ will be had. I sent a Fair AF 15 into CGC. Came back 1.5 as expected. Brought $3000+ on Comiclink 2 years ago. Very hard to sell low grade raw keys for any decent amount of money anywhere
Message 9 of 105
latest reply

Your AF 15 @ 1.5 is still worth $4,000 or a little more; so, you did get a fair deal. I don't think it would be hard to sell of a low grade AF 15, but you could only probably sell it for $3,500 to $4,500. Someone would buy your CGC AF 15 for $4,500 - just try it. Or, try taking it out of the case and selling it raw on auction. If I were rich then I'd buy it right now.

Message 10 of 105
latest reply

Things are getting too much like Craigslist. Cat Frustrated

Message 11 of 105
latest reply

I'm surprised that the OP apparently never asked to see the grader's notes. Those are not hard to get, to my knowledge.

Anyway, key issues tend to continue rising in value while the rest of the market remains soft, so a difference of 0.5 won't make much difference even in the short term.
Message 12 of 105
latest reply

Thanks for the information. That's one service they started offering, but you have to really search the site and it costs an additional fee. I think this is a good service and would help understand some of the grading procedures and also help people grade comics. The down side is that it costs extra money.

Now posted on CGC anyone can get grader notes:

How do I get CGC Grader Notes?

When you enter a certification number for a CGC-graded collectible in the free

Verify CGC Certification tool, you will see if it has any Grader Notes. To unlock the Grader Notes, click the "Get Notes" button and fill in the required fields. CGC Dealers can expedite the process by logging in to have Grader Notes billed with their monthly statement.

CGC Grader Notes are sent to the email provided within one business day. If the Grader Notes form says that delivery will be INSTANT, the Grader Notes will appear immediately and also sent by email.

Comics Submitted Under (Tier)Dealer & Elite FeeRegular Fee
Economy, Value and Modern$4$5
Standard and Express$8$10
Walkthrough$12$15

Message 13 of 105
latest reply

"sun_blaze9857 wrote: Thanks for the information. That's one service they started offering, but you have to really search the site..." 

No you don't, LOL. Here's how you find it:

1. Go to CGC's website: http://www.cgccomics.com/

2. Look at the bottom of the page.

3. There is no 3, you're done.

"Now posted on CGC anyone can get grader notes"

For those not familiar with CGC (sun_blaze),  for the first 12 years anyone could call CGC's toll-free number and get the grading notes for free. FREE. And those prices quoted? Those are the revised prices. When CGC started charging for grader's notes they were even more expensive! What a bunch of BS, the notes should be included for free.

Message 14 of 105
latest reply

Like said, never heard of grader notes before. Now they put a link on their home page to grader notes, just because it costs money. And I haven't run into any eBay stores that sell their CGC books with the grader notes. Just saying.

Message 15 of 105
latest reply