cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comic grading companies

Been noticing at some of the shows that alot of books are being graded by CBCS. Of course they have a very way to catch CGC in number of books graded, they are making a dent in the numbers. I actually see more CBCS books than CGC at the shows. I have never felt that despite bigger numbers for PGX that they would ever be a real threat to CGC. But CBCS looms big and i think will become a major player in the comic book grading world. It wil be a great battle!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Comic grading companies

Sorr folks. I meant to say i see more CBCS than PGX at the shows!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Comic grading companies

I thought PGX went out of business?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Comic grading companies

IMO, if they all went out of business tomorrow it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm taking into consideration all company's written Non-Guarantee of Grade (read individual websites and Labels on Slabbed Books for Verification of my Statement), the Lack of Transparency on actual Grading Techniques, and the fact that there are no Standards, Proficiency Criteria, Educational Courses, Licensing, etc. in order to become a Comic Book Grader.  In fact, there are no Federal or State Designations as an Occupation for a Comic Book Grader.  You can't become a Teacher, CPA, Civil Engineer, Pharmacist, Health Care Professional, etc. without Educational Courses and Federal/State Licensing. But, you can become a Grader for one of these companies, blow the Grade (Yes, I'm aware that each book at each company is viewed by multiple Graders) and adversely effect the value of a book by thousands or millions of dollars to the Benefit or Detriment of the Buyer or Seller.  I'm sure I'll be slammed for my Opinion but my Opinion is backed up by undisputable facts.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Comic grading companies

I guess I may be old school.

I have never used a grading company.

I only have one graded book and that is FANTASTIC FOUR NUMBER 4 and the only reason I have it is  I got it on E-BAY years ago at a reallllllly good price.

At the time the graded book was cheaper than the non graded book for the same grade.

I just  don't like the fact you can only see the cover on a slabbed book.

The slabbed book is the only book I can't read in my collection.

I have a special reading table for my older more valuable books.

Please post any commets.

BobLNeff
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Comic grading companies

I'm not seriously into comics, that is, if it's all together, has all the pages etc. that's all I really want.

By slabbed, do you mean totally encased in plastic, like slabbed coins? I guess that's ok if you want people in the future to be able to look at it, and eventually somebody will open it up and read it. But I doubt that is why they get slabbed.

You can buy these at around $2 an issue on comixology and view them online from now on. With a decent-sized monitor you can have bigger comics.

The "comic book industry"? I can believe it. There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of characters old and new who have their own series of comix. A slabbing company could really cash in on this and wind up in the fortune 500.

I'm not a perv, but I like Wonder Woman the best of all.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Comic grading companies

Agree with your thoughts and opinions.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply