cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wolf: Native American or Folk Art ?

Hi everyone, 

Hoping for a little help in distinguishing whether this hand-carved wooden wolf(?) is possibly Native American or just a piece of Folk Art? 

It appears to have a bit of age and there's traces of red & black pigments remaining within the eyes, mouth and part of the forehead,............so I assume this piece was once beautifully painted/decorated.

There's also some sort of removable wooden decoration at the center of the head. Not sure why or what the function of such a small piece would be. 

I recall doing research a few months back on some antique Native American Inuit photographs and seeing a similar carved figure housed within one of the Native American museums collections websites I was visiting, but don't recall which museum site.  I *think* their identification description was, Inuit or Lenape ???

Anyway, I'd appreciate your time and thoughts on this little guy. 

Size approx: 3-3/4 x 2-3/4 and he's missing his tail. 

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

WOLF 001-001.JPGWOLF 002-001.JPGWOLF 003-001.JPGWOLF 004-001.JPGWOLF 005-001.JPGWOLF 007-001.JPGWOLF 008-001.JPG

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Interesting.  I did a Googe iimage search on "antique japanese inari fox" and got some interesting results, including foxes, seated, careved in wood, plus these little guys with something on their foreheads:

fox1.jpg

Search I did, which should doubtless be refined but is just for starters:
https://www.google.com/search?q=antique+japanese+inari+fox&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja2P...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I'd say a fox, rather than a wolf, with that head and snout shape.  At least, that's how it strikes me.  Could be a coyote, I suppose.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

I am not familiar with this kind of artwork, but i noticed something in the image i thought i would mention.  i have absolutely no clue what that insert is on the head, but from one angle, it has a very  bird-like shape.  in person, that may be way off...or it may be more pronounced.  but, if you could happen to identify the intent of the object, that ould be a huge hint for tracking more info.  it may be that certain social or ethnic groups pair a fox with another very specific animal or object.  so, it may just be like seeing butterflies in the clouds...but that one camera angle gave it a strong resemblance to a bird.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

along those lines.... i forgot to mention...  you might also want to check to see what amerian myths and legends are out there concerning foxes.  you could end up answering both, the origin and the identity of the object at once.  good luck!

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Thank you both for your thoughts.

It does appear to be a fox, not a wolf and the insert on head is probably a bird (if there were sharper carved details identifying the insert as a bird, they're now lost due to age/handling over the years ???).

Possibly to symbolize the fox is a bird-brain? Smiley Very Happy

Upon closer look, I do notice that both black painted eyes of the fox are focused upwards looking at the bird (or whatever it is/was sitting atop its head).

So, most likely not Native American and some sort of Folk Art?

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

is there any chance it's european?  if so, it may be a referene to the story of the fox and the crow...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Crow_%28Aesop%29

and, as you can see from that info, the story goes all the way back to the 1st century b.c.  so, no telling how old.   but there could also be american stories like that.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

It's possible, but the problem is that foxes live on every continent (except Antarctica) and because of their extreme adaptability, including to human environments, they come in contact with people on all those continents.  So, they figure in the myths, legends, folklore, fables, stories, ancecdotes and jokes of humans everywhere.  And because foxes are pretty much foxes wherever they live, and humans ditto, many very similar stories are told about them all around the world.

Yeah, I know, not very helpful musing...  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

I want to go treasure-hunting with you. 🙂

Re the bottom of the fox (if that's what it is). The wood looks very cleanly shaven off, as though maybe it wasn't done by hand? Now I know there woodworkers who can probably achieve this ... I'm just adding in my observations. Just looks like it was sliced mechanically.

Is that a hole on the animal's behind where a tail might have been? And that insert ... I see a pine cone, not a bird.
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Thank you all for your replies and thoughts.

Unfortunately, I still have no further info on the who, what, when and where of this item.......and yes, Mama, the piece is all hand-carved and there was a tail where that small hole is.

My thoughts keep going make to Native American made, but found nothing to confirm them. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Well, since no matter how long I look at it, I don't see Native American, I have let my mind wander over other possibilities. 

Here's a longshot:  Is it possible it's from Japan, from an Inari shrine?  I've long enjoyed the stories of Lafcadio Hearn, so I've learned that foxes (kitsune) are associated with this Shinto god.    So I Googled something like "Shinto Inari Carved Fox" and found that, indeed, little fox figurines (in various materials, including wood) were and are sold at the shrines. 

Maybe worth a look...?

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Interesting.  I did a Googe iimage search on "antique japanese inari fox" and got some interesting results, including foxes, seated, careved in wood, plus these little guys with something on their foreheads:

fox1.jpg

Search I did, which should doubtless be refined but is just for starters:
https://www.google.com/search?q=antique+japanese+inari+fox&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja2P...

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

I readily admit to confirmation bias in my searching, but having said that I still think I may be right about your fox. 

In image searches, I found more photos of foxes (identified as Inari shrine foxes) with something on the forehead, just your little guy.  I also found photos of the shrine foxes with something very similar in their mouths.  Then I read that one of Inari's messenger foxes is often depicted with a sacred jewel, a jewel described as "shaped like an onion dome." (Link below). 

These foxes, by the way, are born without tails and don't get one until they have lived a hundred years.  Some are depicted with many tails to show just how ancient they are.   Maybe your fox is a youngster. 

Smiley Very Happy

Reference:
https://japanesemythology.wordpress.com/the-wish-fulfilling-jewel/

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

After carefully reviewing the evidence I am in the Inari camp, but a folk art version done by  "a guy in a shed", as that English guy on here AF sometimes describes efforts not up to the highest standards.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

After carefully reviewing the evidence I am in the Inari camp, but a folk art version done by  "a guy in a shed", as that English guy on here AF sometimes describes efforts not up to the highest standards.

Perhaps all the better!  Smiley Very Happy   

Below, from

https://tokaido.wordpress.com/2008/02/04/antique-shinto-fox-statues-wooden-japan-inari-kitsune/

r3s6b2-0003728_01.jpg

Not what I'd call an authoritative website, mind you.  It says:  "This statue set dates from the mid Japanese Showa period (1926-1989) or earlier and was acquired in the historic city of Shizuoka, Japan near the foot of Mt. Fuji."    Bit shaky on the dating there...  Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Yes, you definitely nailed it, Maxine, thank you!

I've read that sacred jewel atop the head is called a Hoju.

Again, many thanks......would not have guessed this without your help.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply