cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is this lead box???

Picked up this lead "box" at an auction in PA (box lot) and can't seem to fugure out what it is. It is about 4" square and the metal is pretty heavy and soft - I'm thinking it is lead. The box is built well with no seams that you can see except for where the round opening is separating from the box part. Maybe some kind of a measuring device? It does not open - it's one piece - soild bottom. No markings that we could find. Doubt it has much value but I'd really like to know what it is! Thanks - Mark

900-65 001.JPG

900-65 002.JPG

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Perhaps I'm not seeing it right, but it looks like a small canister / caddy missing its lid.   Possible?

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I guess that's possible but it doesn't really look like it would be used for food/consumables. Don't they use lead to shield x-rays? Still wondering...Thanks for your idea!  Mark

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Sure.  Lead is poisonous.  Seriously so.  It shouldn't be used in water pipes, in paint, in Christmas decorations, in children's toys, in ceramic glazes, in gasoline...  But it was.  So just because we'd know better now than to put food into this, doesn't mean it never had food in it.

Anyhow, if you're saying now that it is definitely lead, then it would be rather impractical for the use I suggested, regardless of toxicity.  It was just a guess based on its shape and I hope someone comes along who can solve your puzzle.   You find some funny stuff in these old Pennsylvania barns and sheds.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Check Chinese pewter, that's what this "it" thinks it is.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Check Chinese pewter, that's what this "it" thinks it is.

Well, this "she" thinks you may well be right (and that would fit my original idea of a canister / caddy without its lid) but OP seems pretty firm in his identification of it as straight lead, so I figure WDIK.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I've seen very similar Chinese pewter service items that have a low relief carving (and a lid), sometimes embedded with very low qualitly "jade" stones. I've seen this storage form with a grass cloth applied to it. Of course the items I've seen were a very soft pewter and since this was positively id'd as lead, I guess that's what it is.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

But hold on...the OP said the metal is "pretty heavy and soft".

Rita

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

If you rub one of the corners along a piece of paper or card, does it leave a visible line?

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for all the comments! Yes, when you rub a corner on a piece of paper it leaves a mark just like a pencil would. Don't know for SURE it is lead but it sure is soft. Here are a few more pictures - hope these help. Keep the theories coming!  Mark

900-65 001 (2).JPG

900-65 002 (2).JPG

Bottom of box - purple reflection is from cameraBottom of box - purple reflection is from camera

900-65 006.JPG

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Maybe an inkwell ?

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Could be I suppose but it's pretty big - the box part alone is 4" x 4". 

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Have you searched for Chinese pewter items as I suggested? I understand that you think it is lead but the Chinese made items like this in pewter which can be very soft (one can bend it with two fingers). You should at least follow that lead.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

"Have you searched for Chinese pewter items as I suggested?"

Agreed. I think sonomabarn is pointing you in the most like direction.

Image result for cousin it

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

That's it!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply