cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage comic book with musty smell

I have vintage comic books that I bought so many years ago. They have been packec up and smell musty. Will they still sell? How does this if at all affect the value? Is there anyway to get the musty smell out of the old comic books? Thanks for any and all help!!!!!

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Mold and mildew are living things (fungi), with mold being the more pernicious, and they will spread to everything they come in contact with.   Molds will also set off allergic reactions in some people.    It is mold that has the characteristic "musty smell." 

So you have a big job ahead of you to either discard each and every moldy, mildewy comic OR attempt to kill said mold and mildew without damaging the paper.  A Google search will bring up lots of ideas and methods for dealing with mold and mildew on paper, most unrealistic but some more realistic than others. 

Unless the comics are ones of high collectibility and value, it's probably not worth the effort.  

Sorry to sound so discouraging, but you asked.

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

People swear by ozone machines for textiles and many items. A used one is likely a wise investment for anyone selling used items.

http://www.bookthink.com/0117/117ozo1.htm

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I second what Maxine said. It depends on how many you have and how much time you have to do the work. If it's just a few, I've had good results from placing them in large Ziplock bags and placing them in the freezer overnight (or longer). Of course you want to make sure they are thoroughly dry first and placed on a flat, stable surface. Here's a tip pulled from a comic book collector's sight. One tip is to always test one book first, preferbly one of little to no value.

"To remove the musty smell from old books, first make sure they are dry. Place books in a cool, dry space for a couple of hours. If damp, open the books and stand them up with pages fanned to allow drying. Circulating the air with a fan will help.

The next step is to create an enclosed chamber. This is most easily done by using two new, clean garbage cans, one large (with a lid) and one small. Place some type of odor-absorbing material in the bottom of the larger can, i.e. baking soda or odor-absorbing clay kitty litter. The object to be “deodorized” should be placed in the smaller can, which is then placed inside the larger can. Do not allow the deodorizer to touch the books. The lid should then be placed on the larger can, and the chamber should be left overnight or until odor is significantly reduced. It may take many days. Leave in a cool place, checking once a day to make sure no mold is growing."

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

@bnbsellingtime wrote:

People swear by ozone machines for textiles and many items.

Maybe.   But if a machine generates ozone in a high enough concentration to kill mold, what it can do to someone if it's faulty or if it is used improperly or carelessly is not pretty.   I'd say a long look must be taken before making that leap.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

There are many warnings about how and where to use them. They are not to be taken lightly but are supposed to be very effective but do indeed require an airtight place away from occupied space. I have never used one but have seen discussions on them in other forums where people considered them a great investment.

Message 6 of 42
latest reply

Yes, go thru and get all the good 'uns separated and just focus on those. The others can be sold at your yard sale this spring where people can give 'em the sniff test before buying. Some people are not as sensitive in real life as they are when  buying online.

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

As said before

first look up the Sold prices of each issue on Completed Listings.

See if it's even worth the time...

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

Black ink and dyes deteriorate over time and sometimes what is considered to be mold is just the inks.

The easiest way to see if this is the issue is to get some cheap charcoal briquets without the lighter fluid and but them in a box.     Place a piece of cardboard on top with holes and put the comics on top.     If it is indeed ink deterioration,  this will get rid of the smell.

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

Yes, charcoal will get rid of the smell...in a year or two.

Musty is musty. I am assuming the OP knows the difference between old paper and ink smell and mold, mildew musty smell.

Good advice has been given.

If the value exceeds the cost and time, go for it. If not dumpster.

Musty midewing old books and papers are terrible to work with. Ask the Smithsonian.

Radine

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

My concern is basic -- exactly what does the OP mean by "vintage"?  Golden Age?  Silver Age?  Bronze Age?  Since "vintage" is a very useless term amongst comic book collectors, the OP may simply have saved boxfuls of 1980s dreck.

More info, please -- are we discussing treasure, or trash?

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, a picture (or two) would certainly speak a thousand words here.

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Yes, are we looking at a new tv show here? "Trash Or Treasure"?

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

Seems OP has done a flit.   One more "post and poof" thread that just leaves us talking among ourselves.    Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

Better then just talking to myself which has been known to happen!grinning

Message 15 of 42
latest reply