cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Strangest Cabbage Patch Doll Ever

Hello I have a 1985 Coleco Cabbage Patch Doll size 14" in original clothing.  But look at the head it is a strange mottled color all over. I suppose it is an error or sun damage not sure.  I brought it because it was very different. What do you think happened?1201201832_resized.jpg1201201835c_resized.jpg1201201835a_resized.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: The Strangest Cabbage Patch Doll Ever

Perhaps the person who bought it wanted to make a darker-skinned doll, and whatever colorant was used did not take evenly...?

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Perhaps the person who bought it wanted to make a darker-skinned doll and whatever colorant they used did not take evenly...?

@maxine*j 

I think you might be right. It doesn't appear to be a black Cabbage Patch doll, as they have darker fabric bodies, too. This one looks like it has plain old 'flesh' colored limbs to me. 

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@maxine*j 

I think you might be right. It doesn't appear to be a black Cabbage Patch doll, as they have darker fabric bodies, too. This one looks like it has plain old 'flesh' colored limbs to me. 

Exactly.  It would not have been made with the head one color and the hands another.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

"A small percentage of Cabbage Patch Kids have developed spots on their faces which spoil their vinyl.

These spots seem to come from a perfume which was added to models created between 1984 and 1987. The baby powder perfume apparently has affected the face vinyl so that pale green spots appear and spread across the face.

So far there has been found no way to remove the spots as they are deep within the vinyl itself.

It may be that other factors in the environment make the difference between a doll that develops spots and one that does not. Being in direct sunlight, being in damp conditions, or being in very hot conditions could make the situation worse as it adversely affects most vinyls.

These pale green spots are not the same as regular mold spots which vinyl and plastic dolls can develop. Regular mold spots are a darker green or black and should be treated quickly, and the doll put into isolation as the mold can spread to other dolls.

The standard treatment for regular mold is to first be sure that mold is causing the mark and not pen. If the mark is pen it might be removable with Magic Eraser.

A mold mark will be deep within the vinyl and not on the surface alone. If you apply pressure to the dark spot the vinyl will seem weaker and softer. If the doll is worth keeping and can be kept in isolation from other plastic and vinyl products, it should be taken apart and washed with dilute oxy10. This will kill bacteria and mold spores gently. Rinse thoroughly and dry thoroughly, then let it air for 24 hours.

When you are sure it's completely dry, gently brush the vinyl with talcum powder, be careful to avoid painted facial features.

Then brush off all talc particles carefully. This should ensure that it is entirely dry and can help halt the spread of the mold and prevent soft and sticky vinyl becoming worse.

Store the doll in a cool, dry area and check it's condition for worsening of the mold periodically."

https://cabbagepatchkids.fandom.com/wiki/Spots

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

I just want to add that even though the article above mentions green spots and yours appear to be white, it may be that the brown dyed vinyl reacts differently to the same problem.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Vitiligo? 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@cltdocmd wrote:

I just want to add that even though the article above mentions green spots and yours appear to be white, it may be that the brown dyed vinyl reacts differently to the same problem.

That's interesting.   So the head was this color originally (except for the spots)?    It's not unusual for the dolls to have heads and limbs that do not match in color, as on this doll?  

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I knew this was going to happen.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Well, yes that is unusual and I can't explain that. Switched head? Factory error?

Back in the early 40s there were white doll bodies made of stuffed latex that darkened to completely black over time, but I've never seen it happen with modern vinyl. I don't collect Cabbage Patch Dolls so I don't know all the problems they might have. I just remembered the spot problem from reading about it on one of the doll groups I belong to.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Just to clarify the spots are white..thankyou for your help.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@stantomm, apparently collectors call this spotting "pox". Dolls from some factories were prone to it, and it could affect them differently.

https://mycpkcollection.weebly.com/cpk-info.html

image.png

Since the darkening and spots are believed to be caused by a mold or fungus, some collectors say that you should keep an affected doll away from other vinyl items to keep it from spreading.

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Well, there you go.  Answers my question about a doll with a dark-colored head and light-colored limbs.  Not manufactured that.  Got that way over time from mold/fungus, presumably from the dolls being stored in damp places.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Thank you for finding that! Even though I don't collect Cabbage Patch, as a doll collector that's good info to know!

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Thankyou very much.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply