cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round Primitive Cast Iron STOVE OVEN Grate with SPOUT and HANDLE CONVEX/CONCAVE Sides Help Identify

I am really perplexed as to what this would have been used for. It is cast iron. The "pan" portion measures approximately 10 " in diameter the handle adds an additional 5 1/2". When the handle is held like most handles would be held it has a CONVEX appearance with a "trough" around the outer edge and a spout. Hopefully the three pics I've added can assist in its identity. 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Round Primitive Cast Iron STOVE OVEN Grate with SPOUT and HANDLE CONVEX/CONCAVE Sides Help Identify

There was this item sold on ebay but I don't know...

Rare-Cast-Iron-Stove-Top-Insert-Bacon-Steak-Grill-Grate-Broiler

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

There was this item sold on ebay but I don't know...

Rare-Cast-Iron-Stove-Top-Insert-Bacon-Steak-Grill-Grate-Broiler

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Looks just like it.... many thanks for the link

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

It doesn't look very practical to cook bacon on.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

You're welcome!

I have never seen these in action, some are from the turn of the century. I think these were used with an under-pan as in the description of this ended auction scroll down for description;

VINTAGE GRISWOLD DOUBLE BROILER # 875 CAST IRON

or

ERIE Cast Iron Double Broiler Vtg Cleaned Pre Griswold 1890's

(auction is almost over- eBay item number:
263429557895)

There are othe listings out there but apparently these are rare to find;

"This is the top of a Pre-Griswold Erie double broiler, circa 1890 to 1910. The size is 10 1/4 in di...

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I know what you mean, they are odd looking.

@18704d wrote:

It doesn't look very practical to cook bacon on.

Lynn

I know what you mean, they are odd looking.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@nowthenandagain1, this gadget is very interesting.

@newnewnewmann and @18704d thanks for the insight into this cooking pan.

I did some research, and came across a vintage Griswold catalog page, that has an illustration of their Double Steak Broiler, that shows how it was used.

If you're using it over a wood fire, the drippings would help to fuel the flames.

image.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-PAPER-AD-Griswold-Double-Steak-Broiler-Skillet-Spider-Erie-Dutch-Oven/...

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thank you very much for posting that.  Now it makes sense, as a fragment.  I lived for five years in an area too remote to have any utilities and I did all my cooking on a wood-burning cookstove.  I've been sitting here thinking that you couldn't use it on the hob and you'd be crazy to put this in one of the eyes to attempt to cook bacon, steak, or anything else.   

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I lived for five years in an area too remote to have any utilities

I love places like that! Life is so much simpler and wonderful.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Well, in my experience, there was nothing simple about that life.  However, we were young enough that we had no problems with: 

Long trips to the outhouse, sometimes in deep snow and sub-zero temperatures.  Hand-pump in the kitchen for water from a hand-dug, stone-lined well, subject to running dry.  Hot water limited to that in the jacket on the cookstove.  Bathing as a major event, what with heating enough water, hauling the galvanized tub into the kitchen, filling it, emptying it, cleaning it, etc.  Doing laundry, ditto all that and more.  Cutting, hauling, chopping, stacking, retrieving vast quantities of wood for heating and cooking.  Summertime cooking on a second woodstove on the front porch, and still getting faint from the heat.  Cleaning, filling, and trimming the wicks on a dozen kerosene lamps.  Keeping all the stoves and chimneys clean and safe, because there was no one to call in case of a fire.  Trips to the root cellar and to the underground "cooler safe" for food, lacking refrigeration.  Buying in bulk, finding ways to store things safely so as to not attract wildlife, from bugs to bears.  Making everything last as long as possible, because "shopping" was a rare event.  Staying mindful at all times to try to avoid accidents and illnesses, because medical help was hours away, if the weather was good.  I could go on and on, but you get the idea.  Living in the bush is not like camping out for a week or two. 

I am glad for those five years, and I do not regret one moment of them.  Indeed, all these years later I'm still benefitting from the experiences of that time.  But now I am glad for heat and light at the flick of a switch, a nice warm bathroom, unlimited hot water, a refrigerator, an electric range, home-delivered pizza...  Now, this is a simple life!   Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

P.S.   I hope you know that I'm an old lady reminiscing, rather than an old lady contradicting your take on what is the simple life.     Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I know that you are not an "old lady" You are very young and playful. I know many young people that seem really old because they are seriously stuck without a playful spirit!

Your description is quite a story, I can appreciate all the hard work. My version was romanticised, although I love to chop wood.

My version was a comfy cabin in the woods on a small lake, with a wood cook-stove and indoor plumbing and electricity and a car in the driveway! Just simply rejuvenating!

Thanks for the message, I do know there was no contradicting, just relating!

grin

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@new-man7 wrote:

I love to chop wood.

Well, where the heck were you when I needed you?!  

Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@new-man7 wrote:

I love to chop wood.

Well, where the heck were you when I needed you?! 

Chopping wood, carrying water! Smiley Very Happy

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 14 of 14
latest reply