cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remo Bufano Giant Puppet for Billy Rose's "Jumbo" 1935/6 photo

People here often wonder why we ask "Is there anything on the back?"  "Better pictures?" or other questions like that. Here is why those questions are asked. Not that we don't believe you but that just posting a picture does not always tell the whole story so we ask those questions. There have been so many "watercolors" that turn out to be prints and so many "real oil paintings" that turn out to be facsimile productions. Just sayin'.

I bought this framed photo yesterday based on what I saw hoping there might be something to help ID the photo on the back. I took it apart... and look at all the info on the back! Everything is there! What the photo content is, the artist, the photographer, a storyline, cute stickers, it's all there.

From that info I've found that Remo was Benny Bufano's brother. whom I was already familiar with.  And (Florence) Vandamm was a famous stage photographer, there are file numbers, measurements (I'll bet this was used in print somewhere), and the name of the clown "The Spangle Dream Clown"!

If I hadn't asked myself the question and opened the back all of the info would remain hidden and it would be just another picture of a 35 ft tall puppet clown.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Just curious, does ebay delete archived posts but keep the original thread post? I know there were mamy replies to this thread but they have all vanished. Did they move them somewhere else? Why would it be listed as a "Popular Board Discussion" if all the replies are not there. Looks like one question that no one answered.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

If my (failing) memory is correct, I don't think anyone ever did reply to it. People voted it up because they agreed with the sentiments expressed, but you didn't ask a question about the item so nobody felt there was anything to add.

The "Popular Board Discussions" section has never made any sense to me and I cannot fathom what criteria the software uses to decide that something is popular. Maxine's "Eames - BBC" post featured for a while if I recall, and before that there was some ancient thread from years back about the listing of a railroad item. Just a totally random, useless feature.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It cracks me up that one of the featured ones is "About done..." which is a litany of complaints about the board.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Oh. Failing memory on my part too. Maybe I'm remembering seeing that thread so many times from logging into the board that I thought many were commenting. No one? Maybe I imagined all of the great interactions and insights that were offered. Anyway, I came across two more of the puppet/Eddie Cantor photos that came with it.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply