cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opera glasses vs lorgnette reading glasses.

Recently and for quite some time I’ve been searching for lorgnette reading glasses.  The term often used in the description or keyword list is “Opera Glasses” and this is incorrect.  I’ve done a cursory search on the use of Opera Glasses and they can come in a style with a lorgnette handle, but they are actually the opposite of reading glasses on a lorgnette handle.  When a seller is posting reading glasses on a lorgnette handle, they must not use the term Opera Glasses or the word Opera.  They are opposites. Many opera-goers refer to their glasses as “lorgnettes” but that denotes the handle only.  Opera glasses are a small type of binocular.  Reading Glass Lorgnette magnifies a closer image such as printing on a page; they are readers attached to a handle.  These are becoming highly desirable for collectors as well as people (usually women) who do not want stemmed reading glasses hanging around their necks.  I hope this helps to clarify the important difference between the two types of glasses and the more accurate description of your product will help drive buyers to your posting.

Thank you,

Susan Evans

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You are going to have to rely on those collectors to know the difference before they buy. This is ebay and not a private retail website. If it is as big of a problem as you say, you might consider writing an ebay guide on the topic.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

You are going to have to rely on those collectors to know the difference before they buy. This is ebay and not a private retail website. If it is as big of a problem as you say, you might consider writing an ebay guide on the topic.

In May 2018, eBay discontinued the Guides.  Took them all down.  Poof.  Gone.  Never did explain why.  Gave the Guide authors 30 days notice to get copies onto their own computers or other websites if they wanted to preserve the content.  Just one of those bizarre corporate decisions for which the company is famous.

But I agree with your statement that anyone wanting reading glasses is not going to buy binoculars, on lorgnettes or not, so I don't see the problem.  I mean, yes, there's the problem of ignorant sellers, but that's not going to go away.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I would bet cause nobody reads them! Good to know they are gone, I'll not give that info from here on out.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

I would bet cause nobody reads them!

I can't say.  I know there were several that I had bookmarked.  I'm sure some, maybe many, were poorly done but quite a few were excellent, done by real experts, and represented a lot of work.  I know they showed up in Google and other searches and drove traffic to eBay. 

Of course, the reason for eilimating the Guides might be as obvious as the monetary one, because the letter to Guide authors telling them it was all over included this:  "If you've used guides to help bring buyers to your listings, we offer sellers even more effective ways to generate traffic.  Learn how Promoted Listings and Promotions Manager will help you drive velocity." 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply