cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old religious items (Pope)

Any idea what these are, value ? Looks to be stamped and from early 1900's? 

Not sure if these go together?

Im clueless here. 

Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You actually have two quite different documents, although both are Papal blessings.

The one with the photo of the Pope is an Apostolic Blessing bestowed on Leo C. Zeferetti. It is dated 19 December 1979, and the photo shows Pope John Paul II (who reigned from 1978-2005). The blessing was signed on the Pope's behalf by an Archbishop at the Vatican. Such blessings are fairly commonplace - they are granted on request for special occasions. Yours looks to be in rather poor condition. From the link given by Melda, the original recipient is still alive, but elderly.

The document in your second photo (headed "PAULUS VI") is more interesting. It was issued on 8 December 1965 ("VI ID. DEC. ANNO MDCCCCLXV") - yes, that means 8th December, not the 6th! - on occasion of the closing of the fourth and final session of the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965). The blessing was bestowed by Pope Paul VI, who reigned from 1963-1978. It is addressed to members of three internal Vatican organisations: the Roman Curia, members of offices responsible for governing the affairs of Vatican City, and the Vatican military guards. The Pope thanks them for their assistance during the Council sessions and invokes the Apostolic Blessing upon them now that the Council has concluded. The document bears the Pope's signature, but it is impossible to tell, from the photograph, whether the signature is original or not.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

From your photographs, it's difficult to see what "these" are but do know that Pope Paul VI reigned from 1963 to 1978.

Debora

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

It's exactly what it says it is, an apolstolic blessing.  Much info here:

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=apostolic+blessing+vatican&oq=apostolic+blessing+vantican&...

and many pictures here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=apostolic+blessing+vatican&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYl-...

Yes, the two documents go together.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Rep. Zeferetti represented Brooklyn in the House of Representives from 1975-83.  So that plus the tenure of the Pope in the photograph who served from 1963-78., date the first document to 1975-78.  

The date in Roman numerals on the second document is 1965.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_C._Zeferetti

Rita

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

You actually have two quite different documents, although both are Papal blessings.

The one with the photo of the Pope is an Apostolic Blessing bestowed on Leo C. Zeferetti. It is dated 19 December 1979, and the photo shows Pope John Paul II (who reigned from 1978-2005). The blessing was signed on the Pope's behalf by an Archbishop at the Vatican. Such blessings are fairly commonplace - they are granted on request for special occasions. Yours looks to be in rather poor condition. From the link given by Melda, the original recipient is still alive, but elderly.

The document in your second photo (headed "PAULUS VI") is more interesting. It was issued on 8 December 1965 ("VI ID. DEC. ANNO MDCCCCLXV") - yes, that means 8th December, not the 6th! - on occasion of the closing of the fourth and final session of the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965). The blessing was bestowed by Pope Paul VI, who reigned from 1963-1978. It is addressed to members of three internal Vatican organisations: the Roman Curia, members of offices responsible for governing the affairs of Vatican City, and the Vatican military guards. The Pope thanks them for their assistance during the Council sessions and invokes the Apostolic Blessing upon them now that the Council has concluded. The document bears the Pope's signature, but it is impossible to tell, from the photograph, whether the signature is original or not.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:
The document in your second photo 

Make that: The document in your third photo.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@argon38 wrote:

Thank you for that.  I really didn't see it for what it was.  I get so tired of having to re-orient and maniuplate pictures to see what's what that I'm starting to not do so.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

Thank you for that.  I really didn't see it for what it was.  I get so tired of having to re-orient and maniuplate pictures to see what's what that I'm starting to not do so.

Well, it was sandwiched between photos of the other document, so that's understandable. Given that the closure of the Council was a one-off occasion,  I can't be certain about the signature - but I'm inclined to think it would be printed, given the number of recipients. (One Pope was reportedly asked how many people worked in the Roman Curia, and he replied "about half.")

Message 8 of 8
latest reply