cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old African cart/bed posts from where?

About 25 1/2" long with lots of honest wear- not "airport art". A man and a woman. Anyone have any thoughts as to exact use with those pegs or exact part of the country or age (1950s)? Greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Eshu staffs? (Just a guess).

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks. After looking at many Yoruba staffs, the one thing I noticed is that all the handles are rounded to fit the hand, where this pair has squared off "handles" to fit a cut out piece of wood. Also a bit heavy at 4 pounds each. Found a couple at 22" . Still looking- thanks for the lead.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

They remind me of aloalo, from Madagascar, that I saw once in a display of grave arts.  When I did a Google image search of them just now, nothing quite like yours came up but the echo of them remained in my mind.  So if no one comes up with something better, you might want to include in one of your searches something along the lines of grave arts, funeral arts, etc., just for the heck of it.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thanks, I'll look there. I just came upon veranda posts which have similarities.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

What I'm seeing from Madagascar is a very similar positioning of the hands of the figures. Looks like those posts were just left at the grave site until they went to nothing. Why are mine still intact? Stolen? Family moved & took with? I do know I'm taking them out of the kitchen right now!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Yikes! I would take them out of the kitchen too! scream Maybe @taupou would know.....

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

What I'm seeing from Madagascar is a very similar positioning of the hands of the figures.

And I'm sure funeral art similar to the aloalo are found outside Madagascar.  It's just the aloalo that triggered the idea.  But, alas, given my near total ignorance of tribal art... 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I'm sure  that most primitive cultures did similar. Here on the west coast the NA peoples had similar enclosures with carved bits representing past lives guarding them. All the NW tribes had them. But these do feel African or...

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I don't see a particular African resemblance here.  I would think these are more likely ancestral posts, from Indonesia.   The color of the wood itself, the style of carving (especially those rounded, staring, pupil-less eyes),  the prominent cheekbones, and the shape of the lips, all seem to be more characteristic of the Dayak, of Borneo (as is that distinctive knob on the head of the male figure.)

It may not be Dayak, specifically, but since there are so many tribal peoples in that area of the world, and most have a tradition of carving ancestral  figures, often found in pairs, that at least is the area I would focus the research on.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Many thanks, I'll look to Borneo and thereabouts. About 25 years ago I sold a fascinating book (Borneo and the Indian Archipelago) where they visited headhunters and were complaining that ALL buildable lots in Hong Kong were sold out and the rents out of control!

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

And that was in 1848.

I found many of these ancesteral posts after Tapou's lead. The flat features, the skirt at the bottom and the squared off post at the base. http://www.blaxsand.com/image/55507

There are many variants but for my purposes, this is close enough.

Thanks to all!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply