cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Location of photo any help appreciated

Can anyone out there tell me where this picture was taken? It is from the estate of a man who was in the navy and was purchased in California so it may be in or near a naval base, possibly in California. Thanks so much! 

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Certainly could be California, on a nice winter day.  Structure looks -- to my eye -- like the remains of a hangar door.

Debora

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Looks like an onland degausser.

Patd

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Or a clip from a Star Trek film where they go into the past "Just remember where we parked."

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Well, as i see it, these three young men are just returning, or just arriving , although the suns bright, doesnt necessarily mean its hot or warm, in fact i find it clearer & brighter when its fairly cold n brisk their all 3 walking with both hands in their pockets, which can be a bit awkward to do when u walk with a purpose!These fellas arent in a real hurry & know their on time or early, they appear to be well kept men, with no stress, worries, or sense of urgency to impart a look of eagerness to get to work,,, one of them has just commented in jest, or is about to comment on the strange functionless out of place, massive structure that can be seen for a mile or two, as if it were a landmark for this location... And he is intrested in said structure in a way thats more than just a big structure that they all see & have seen somewhat regularly & know of,,,he's taking it in like it says something about what their doing & where their at. 

So, it is my opinion that their likely attending perhaps, an orientation for their new structural engineering/architectural college, or their attending a tour of the plant of a pre stress concrete forming company that makes span bridge and commercial building pre fab componants and the structure is just what it seems,,,a landmark and an advertising tool to make a bold statement as to the colleges focus or the company's main product line....

But then , its just my opinion, & what the heck do i know!! Lol...

However, if im right, it could make determining this exact location a heck of a lot easier... Good luck , hope it helps.! 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Interesting! Based on the cars, I'd say the year was 1960. The background landscape is open, somewhat flat yet lightly rolling which suggests a state in the Tornado Alley corridor. The presence of multiple electrical poles may suggest an electrical plant of some sort. The tall unusual structure does look like the remains of an earlier, larger structure. Perhaps large doors rolled within it. Oddly, the 2 top corners of the structure are not identical. Also, the men seem relaxed and traveling together as a cohesive unit. In the early 1960s, it may have been a bit unusual to see a diverse group of men socializing in the American south. Thus, middle America is a more likely scenario - as mentioned earlier.  The men's clothing suggests leisure wear rather than work wear. It is almost like they are visiting a tourist attraction. Who knows?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Also, can you enlarge the photo and see a side view of the license plate (assuming a rear mounted plate) on the 4-door car (Buick?) at the extreme left of the photograph. It is the only car where you might be able to see a bit of the license plate. The color of the plate may help to isolate the photo to a particular state as well as time frame. Thank you-

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I see that you have "copyrighted" the photo. Did you take it? Isn't copyright good for 75 years unless renewed? So, if you plan on reproducing it for sale, you might want to hire a copyright lawyer to sort it all out first.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thread dates from July 2018.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Ah yes, but the long arm of the law never sleeps though. I hope they keep the thread going.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Just an observation. While I cannot help with the location I see, above the top left of the structure, rebar sticking up and the edge of another flat surface in the distance. Could this have been the beginning of a parking structure?
(Interesting & keeping the thread going)
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Ah yes, but the long arm of the law never sleeps though. I hope they keep the thread going.

No harm in keeping the thread going, but the OP may already have solved the mystery (or sold it).

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Or is stuck in appellate court waiting for a ruling from the antiques board!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply