cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lars Hawkes Northwest coastal artist? Mid Century Modern California Norway

20170612_185622.jpgHave seen his signature with a copyright symbol but says Lars HawkesHave seen his signature with a copyright symbol but says Lars Hawkes20170612_185646.jpg

If anyone has any information on this piece, please help. I have seen the signature a multitude of ways. It is an acrylic on canvas. Serigraph? lars1.pnglars.png

Is this early works? Or later?

ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I cannot deliniate if artist is American born 1964 - Or Norwegian born?

I'm having more difficulties than this might be worth. But I'm vested in my time now, so I must try to find out info.

No markings on back of piece, but professionally framed.

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

But there appears to be a great deal of information about this artist on the internet.  Have you done a search?

Debora

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

I have. That is where I am getting confused. I am finding information on a Norwegian artist who appeared to be in his career prime during the 60's and 70's. Another artist, same types of works, American born 1964. I cannot deliniate between the 2. And the piece of work that I have varies from some of the works that I can see on internet. Is there a reputable art identification website that would be of help?

Message 3 of 41
latest reply

Is there a reputable art identification website that would be of help?

I don't know about that; but this is not Northwest Coast Native art, and there is no native american influence that I can detect.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

@clearly4ustamps wrote:

I have. That is where I am getting confused. I am finding information on a Norwegian artist who appeared to be in his career prime during the 60's and 70's. Another artist, same types of works, American born 1964. I cannot deliniate between the 2. And the piece of work that I have varies from some of the works that I can see on internet. Is there a reputable art identification website that would be of help?

I can only find one source (a British auction-house listing) which refers to "Lars Hawkes (American born 1964)."  Is this the one you mean? I think the birthdate may simply be a mistake on their part. If you enlarge the photo of their item then you'll find a signature (at the lower left) which looks very similar to the Lars Hawkes signature dated 1971.

It also has some fairly strong design similarities with your own picture. although it's in black-and-white. 

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

I found some references of Norway Lars Hawkes winning a cal-trans sculpture grant and another about him being a metal fabricator, and amateur artist.  He also wrote an article or review with this info blurb about him listed at the bottom "Lars Hawkes grew up in Norway and worked as a packer and guide in Banff National Park and BC’s Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park. He is a sculptor, and has been a machine fabricator. He continues to hike and enjoy the backcountry." 

Probably those 2 citings reference the same guy...but not the Hawkes who painted this.  I think others may have taken "internet info"  and erroneously paired them.  It's an interesting mystery.  Why is your painting the only item that seems to be using acrylic on canvas?  

Message 6 of 41
latest reply

@debora_34_ wrote:

But there appears to be a great deal of information about this artist on the internet.  Have you done a search?

Debora

????????

the OP seems to clearly have done some research...

she is in need of 1's expertise to clarify things.

letoulousain
Message 7 of 41
latest reply

you know the signatures are different but somehow can't help to think there are similarities between your piece and art work by LH,

that i see on the net (auction records) ...

why not contact all the galleries that have sold LH work?

perhaps 1 might be willing to take a look at some pictures.

it could all be done on the net.

i would surely also contact galleries in Seattle Wa.

it surely looks to me as if Northwest "inspired"...

what do you have to lose?

posting here is like getting more questions in return.

".....why do you think it is this or that?..."...

letoulousain
Message 8 of 41
latest reply

@lemarcheaupuces wrote:

posting here is like getting more questions in return.

".....why do you think it is this or that?..."...

That is a surprising remark from someone who has so often come to this board for help, and so often received it. 

As for the "why do you think it is this or that," why not use the Socratic method?  It works.  Because it's very useful in identifying / verifying works of art, it's a common exercise in the course-work of many, if not most, art programs.

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

There is an artist Lars Hawkes who has a Facebook page.  Why don't you contact him?

https://www.facebook.com/lars.hawkes

Debora

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

@all_fakes wrote:

Is there a reputable art identification website that would be of help?

I don't know about that; but this is not Northwest Coast Native art, and there is no native american influence that I can detect.

This work is also said to be by Lars Hawkes, and c 1970:

lars-hawkes-original-art-vtg_1_85a1d14519fe986a99a234f0888c44d0.jpg

You know, "Lars Hawkes" sounds an unusual name, to my ear, and yet  I'm finding the name all over the place, including a fellow who lives in Campbell River, B.C.  (but who is not, evidently, an artist).   Maybe there's more than one artist with the name.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

Just to clarify my earlier post... there's no doubt in my mind that the "Lars Hawkes" responsible for this:

38-201452395629_540x360

is the same "Hawkes" who created your piece. There are unmistakable similarities in the design.

Now, it's true that the auction-house listing of the above serigraph ascribes it to "Lars Hawkes (American born 1964)."  However, this is an error. We can be confident that it is an error because it's possible to zoom in on the signature. It's undated, but it's clearly in the same hand as the signature on that other piece you've found online: "Lars Hawkes 1971."

So I think your picture is by the same Lars Hawkes who registered this range of serigraphs in 1971:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MUMhAQAAIAAJ&pg=RA1-PA79&dq=%22Lars+Hawkes%22+%221971%22&hl=en&s...

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

I agree with you entirely, and I should have been clearer: 

What I was wondering was if the Lars Hawkes who works in a machine shop and does metal sculpture on the side is a different person. 

If he is OP's Lars, he's certainly taken a new direction, and not just in his medium.  OP's Lars would seem a bit old for that.  (Although with the cost of living in California being what is is, a lot of people are going to be working into their 80s.)

Message 13 of 41
latest reply

Well, I  should take back my comments.  I seriously misread the date the Lars Hawkes sculpture was installed along the road.  It was in 1992.   That date easily fits with the other works, including OP's

Here it is, for those who haven't already seen it:

Drive-By Art.jpg

(Sorry it's no longer possible to simply remove one's own post;  thus, this second one.)

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

I agree with you entirely, and I should have been clearer: 

What I was wondering was if the Lars Hawkes who works in a machine shop and does metal sculpture on the side is a different person.

Sure, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all Maxine. I just re-read my post and thought it would be clearer with the photo (I didn't want to link to an auction site). Also, I wanted to add those copyright entries in case the OP hadn't come across them.

Message 15 of 41
latest reply