cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this pyrography? guessing its home made but is signed 53 with initials or mark?

I have had a few over the years but this looks a little different

Thanks for any help, I know it doesnt look old

could be 53 though...

thanks for any help!

SAM_2678.JPGSAM_2677.JPGSAM_2679.JPGSAM_2680.JPGSAM_2682.JPGSAM_2689.JPGSAM_2700.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Is this pyrography? guessing its home made but is signed 53 with initials or mark?

lazer?

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

sorry laser?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Little bump, after buying some pyrography, I dont think it's pyrography, but howd they do that?  Any thoughts on it, is signed Thanks

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hey Sharona,

To answer your question, I have no idea. But the signature (monogram) and date at the bottle left looks a lot like that of, Albrecht Durer. I'm sure this isn't his work, but that monogram/date sure does remind me of his...

AD SIG.jpg

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

It looks like it was made the same way a woodblock is made to make prints. I have made small woodblocks myself. special carving tools, chisels are used to dig out the areas not to print, in effect, you create a "negative" and print a positive.

You could actually use a ink roller, like in woodblocks, and run it across the surface of the trunk, then lay a piece of paper on it, and only the raised areas would print. Not that you would want to do that!

Maybe this was made differently, but that is my guess as it doesn't look machine-made and a lot of detail work goes in.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for the help, that mark looks a lot like the 3rd one, and Im sure you could make a print of it...

I don't see any carving marks

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

SAM_4334.JPGSAM_4333.JPGSAM_4332.JPGSAM_4339.JPGSAM_4328.JPG

\It is marked on the top and 53 on the front bottom too, does that look like a cannon? Name Wilb...William

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Just a thought, but I wonder if it could be a kind of sand-blasting:  put a template over the box, sand-blast it to wear down the exposed areas and leave the desired image.   I notice more exposed wood-grain in the lower areas, which would be the case with a sand-blasted image.

This could be done by a home-craftsman with access to sand-blasting equipment, or commercially.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks All Fakes!

That makes sense, looking in that direction

Message 10 of 10
latest reply