cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying Sewing Tool Need Help!

Does anyone know what this vintage sewing tool is for? It's 2 pieces with a knob on the side that turns and is 3.5 inches tall. Any ideas appreciated. Thank you! 

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

@newenglandchris

Why do you think it's for sewing?

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I don't think it's a sewing tool.

I think it's for putting on top of a bottle of something (like olive oil) and pour it out with that knob controlling the amount that flows.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

It was in a sewing basket
Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Interesting idea, thank you
Message 5 of 36
latest reply

What happens when you turn the knob? Does the thing inside rotate, it looks like a ball from the pics.

I would look up darning egg or darning tool...maybe some kind of bobbin winder? Good Luck!

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

also something for spinning wool if the yarn could go through the piece lol?

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

@newenglandchris

This doesn't appear to be a sewing tool. It is not a bobbin winder, and it has nothing to do with spinning or weaving.

It is some type of a valve to control the flow of a liquid or of small particles like sand (or possibly a gas, but that is unlikely because it won't be air-tight).

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

@poochpadsales wrote:

What happens when you turn the knob? Does the thing inside rotate, it looks like a ball from the pics.

That's the important question. If turning it does nothing more than rotate that ball inside then I don't see how it could act as a valve - it would have to be for winding (or unwinding) something.

A photo of the inside of the base/holder would be useful as well.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Nutmeg grater.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Nutmeg grater.

So the nutmeg would sit inside the holder, you'd screw on the top, and that ball (?) thing would be the grater? If so, I have two difficulties: (i) I don't see how you could grind the ball down onto the nutmeg; (ii) the ball surface doesn't look very effective as a grater.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@sonomabarn67 wrote:

Nutmeg grater.

I don't know .. the wooden nutmeg graters I found in a search all seem to have metal for the grating surface. I'm not sure the tiny grooves on the little wooden ball inside it would be able to grate the nutmeg.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Thanks all for your thoughts. Here's a photo of inside the base. When you turn the knob it does just rotate the ball inside. The ball inside has shallow horizontal grooves. Since it was in a sewing kit I assumed it was used to wind/unwind something but clearly I could be wrong. 

I don't think its its strong enough to grind nutmeg but maybe grinds salt? Seems small for that though.  

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

How about a hand-wound tape measure holder?

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

i was thinking a mechanized version of this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Treen-Nutmeg-Grater-shape-of-an-Acorn/122922370823?_trkparms=aid%3D777003%2...

And, I have that death flu that is going around. Wash your hands!!!

Message 15 of 36
latest reply