cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID Civil War uniform in tintype

Would very much appreciate some help with the uniform shown in this photo image.   The closest example I can find on the web is of a Union Infantry Frock Coat.  This one has the two bottons on the outer sleeve with piping in between those two buttons, but there seems to be an 'opposing' button on the other side of the sleeve nearest the end of the sleeve.  Also it appears in the image that the sleeve is tufted underneath the piping, although it may just be an optical illlusion.  Thanks so much for you help.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Could that be a Cadet coat? West point, VMI, The Citadel?
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Fyi, it's not helpful that you cropped the image.  A full image can provide important information (such as the age of the sitter) which can lead to an educated guess regarding the uniform.

Debora

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Well, all I'm shown is a coat with a stand-up collar and what look like metal butons.  Soliders of the era did wear such, but so did policement, letter-carriers, guys who played in marching bands, and so on.   For me, at least, there just isn't enough visual information to make much of this.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Yes, it would help to see the entire image, including the trousers, cap, and boots if they are showing. Some people here know a lot about uniforms and could better help with more information.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Here is the full image, thanks to everyone for your comments. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Just wanted to point out how easy it is to remove a  logo in Photoshop. If you are woried about another party using your image you should copyright or trademark it. And even that won't keep someone from using it

Message 7 of 7
latest reply